New Petrol Car Under Rs.5 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi

I am also planning to buy a car in the price range of 5-5.5 lacs and have decided on the following cars. Would be great if people can share their views:

Must have features: rear wiper +defogger

Desirable features: ABS +airbags.

I have shortlisted the following cars.. Would be great if you could advise which one should I go for..

Wagon R(ABS)- petrol:

Pros: Dual airbag + abs+fog lamps+rear defogger. Mileage:20kmpl.

Low maintenance +huge service network

High resale value.

Cons: Poor Build quality and interiors.

Not so powerful headlamps.

And maruti “TAG”

Price: 5.10 lacs

I 10 sportz petrol:

Pros: All features of wagon R except ABS and Airbags

Mileage:19.61kmpl.

Low maintenance cost +huge service network

Good built quality, better interiors and better ride quality.

Cons: No airbags/abs

Okay head lamps Price: 5.10 lacs

Nissan Micra active XVS Petrol:

Pros: A car different from the “herd”. 1.2 L engine, nice looks and features.

Quality is better than i10.

Comes with dual airbags and ABS

Decent fuel economy of 19+

“Nissan” tag or rather non-maruti tag

Great headlamps

Cons: Unknown Cost of maintenance?

Wafer thin after sales service network.?

Lots of bad reviews on the net.

Price : 5.47 lacs

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Welcome aboard. There is plethora of options for petrol cars under 5.5 lakh budget and the decision totally depends upon personal requirements and usage. Please take a look at this link and answer the required questions so that we could recommend an appropriate car model. Perhaps I’m adding to the confusion but are you not considering the Brio?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi Welcome to TOI
I would recomment you to consider and TD HONDA BRIO.Except the Boot space everything else is spot on IMO.

Hi,

As mentioned by Part1231 above, TD the Honda Brio - It does not get any better than that in petrol.

i10 in my IMHO should be ruled out as there are way too many issues i have heard in terms of mileage, some folks get 14-15 while some others get 10-11 in city conditions and still some get lower mileage. I know mileage is a very subjective thing and depends heavily on the driver, but the see-saw mileage recd. by i10 owners is a little too hard to digest, seems like a lottery to me!

If you are impressed by the Nissan Micra, would suggest looking at the Renault Pulse instead, though costlier, looks wise, it is miles ahead of the Micra!

OT: Got a quote for a Punto MJD 2013 model at Rs. 616000 OTR Bangalore for the Active pack (Including exchange bonus of Rs. 50000 + Corporate Offer of Rs. 3000). Might be worthwhile considering the budget and getting a much stronger and better car for something like a lac / 50 Gs more (Surat will definitely be cheaper than Bangy).

Vaibhav, welcome to The Automotive India.
Firstly if you can share some information regarding your requirement, usage pattern, total occupancy on regular basis, would help us give you best options available in the market.
Out of the shortlisted ones that you have, first two are the best running hatchbacks in market from the two main manufacturers in India.
Other then these you can also have a look at renault Pulse, Micra with new updates and colours now, Honda Brio, Hyundai i20 in your given budget.

Well you already know the pros and cons of the cars you have shortlisted. Do check out the Honda Brio too, its a great city car, with good reviews all over and good A.S.S.

In your selection Wagor R and Micra are 3 cylinder cars which focus more on fuel efficiency rather than on performance. Plus point is that you get more features than of a B2 segment car like i10, swift or Brio which have powerful engines, but misses the safety features at this price point.

Its just a matter of choosing which features are your priority.

PS: Nissan does have wafer thin A.S.S support, may not matter if you drive mainly within city. I too have read mostly average to poor reviews of Nissan's A.S.S on the net. The car is great though.

Last edited:
^^+100
Looks like its the petrol mill you are looking for. I must say Honda Brio is a good choice, if you do not have much problems with its bootspace and the rear look.

I feel its better to stay away from the hyundai's.

Pulse is ahead in my count when compared to micra.

Punto shouldn't be a bad choice either.

make a great choice. Obviously after the TD's

Last edited:

Top Bottom