My First Car (Hatchback)?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first car. Below are my preferences.

Budget: Rs.7 – 8 Lakh
My Priorities: Safety, Comfort, good A.S.S.
My Height : 6 ft
Purpose: In city - 400 to 500 Kms. Surely will have long trips as I like to travel a lot. [I have drove 250 kms in a day in my CBZ extreme]
Type of Fuel: Diesel
Seating Capacity: 4 is fine for me. 5 is a plus.
Segment: Hatchback

I wanted to go for a car with ABS and Airbags and good comfort, as I like to travel. Also I would like to go for good ASS. From what I have read and heard, VW and Skoda might not be a good option.

I have always liked Honda Jazz even though it is petrol only. But it is being re-modeled, I'm not going for it. I have also not considered Figo because of a re-modeled 2014 version being expected.

I TDed Brio in a hope that it would be comfortable for my height (Liva and Brio's height, Width is close). But the steering position is too low for me. I like steering a bit up straight. Also I felt Brio's suspension to be too soft.

I have looked at Toyota Liva. The main complaint I have heard is that the body sheet is light.

I'm thinking to look at Chevy Beat and Verito Vibe too. Please let me know other options and opinions to help get my first car.

Thanks

Thread Starter #3
Actually my list is well open. I'm just starting to do the TDs. Toyota and Honda showrooms are near by to my home. So just started with them. Chevy/Mahindra showroom is near by to the place I planned to be next weekend . So will check them out.

Swift/Ritz fits into my budget. Fiat punto and Hyundai i20 seems to be a bit pricey and Hyundai i10 has petrol only option. If it is petrol, my first preference would be Honda. New Jazz is only slated to be launched next year :frown:.

Thread Starter #5
@anshuman8 - My budget is only 8 lakhs [OTR] and I'm looking for safety features also. I will get that in Ecosport if I look for Titanium variant only and that cost 9+Lakhs for 1.0 Petrol and 1.5 Diesel models.

Hi Storm, since you are going for a hatch back, will try not to suggest sedans..but have a look at the Linea and Ford Classic.

Figo I dont think will have a make over till late 2014 , having first being launched in Brazil. It is being designed by Brazil centre and would have a ecoboost petrol engine as an option. The diesel TDCI probably will continue. Given this and that the current Figo had a facelift recently .. you will probably be able to bargain and get top end diesel at much lesser than your budget.

Try to FIAT Punto and VW Polo. Polo infact comes with 3 year AMS, so probably cost at least in the initial 3 years would be controlled. Both cars are very good as far as safety is concerned and within your price range.

The Liva might have thinner body sheet, but very good brakes (ABS is standard). So I suggest have a go at TDing all of them and then decide. I am sure you would be able to find out which meets most of your needs.

I would suggest to stretch your budget a bit more and go for ford ecosport.
Else Nissan Micra (D) can be considered, i think it has the same renult diesel engine which is very good.

Renault Pulse, Nissan Micra, VW Polo, Skoda Fabia, Hyundai i20 are the main hatchbacks with diesel mill to look at.
Also you can have a look at honda's newly launched Amaze diesel as well with all the safety features from base variant.

I TDed Brio in a hope that it would be comfortable for my height (Liva and Brio's height, Width is close). But the steering position is too low for me. I like steering a bit up straight. Also I felt Brio's suspension to be too soft.
Hi dude,

Brio top end variant has the tilt steering facility. I like the steering upstraight too. I own a brio and am able to adjust the steering as per the needs of me or my bro (who generally drives it too). You have height adjuster too if you are worrying of your height. But let me tell you it will not disappoint you at all. Make a good choice buddy[:)]

Thread Starter #12
@chayan - I will definitely TD Figo and then will decide.

@vijay, @amit1km - I don't like the looks of Micra, But Pulse is a better option. I will check that. Fabia is not an option as Skoda has already announced that they are stopping the production and only selling the stock.

@Ajay Sreedhar - I felt the suspension was too soft. Have your car hit the bumper, if the rear seat is fully loaded?

@shrey75, @VivekRj.Dieselhead - I have Punto on the list. But I'm not looking into Polo. I'll TD polo too though before I decide.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll hopefully continue the TDs this week end[stuck in too much work at office]. I'll update back.

@Ajay Sreedhar - I felt the suspension was too soft. Have your car hit the bumper, if the rear seat is fully loaded?
No man. Never till now. All my drives till now where weekend trips with family and so it was a fully loaded Honda. Suspension is a bit soft and thats only when you don't slow down on the sight of potholes on rough road. If you slow down, the car goes fine. Haven't scratched the bangalore bumpers too yet [clap]

Top Bottom