Looking For An Automatic Transmission Sedan Edit: Bought Sunny CVT!

Thread Starter #1
Dear friends,

In our office one of my senior colleague is looking for a Sedan with A/T must

Budget : between 10 to 15L

Models under discussion : Vento, Altis

Not interested in : New fiesta, Verna fluidic, Chevy

Looking for suggestions from members on the same[:)]

Re: Looking For An Automatic Transmission Sedan!

Y not consider Skoda Rapid besides Vento.the other day i read in some local Newspaper there's some kind of offers with Mahavir Skoda

What would be his monthly running?
Hence is he interested in P/D?

For P go for -
Altis, Fiesta, Vento, Rapid, Scala, Sunny

For D go for -
Cruze, Verna

Thread Starter #4

@Fahad

I have already suggested him to look at Rapid than Vento. Also suggested him to look at ES, but rear seat space need to be seen here.

I have also told him about Sunny, Scala too

@Anshuman

Diesel or Petrol, not an issue. Mostly Petrol one but Automatic is must. Thank you for your suggestion, I have also told him about Laura too.

By any chance any new model released from Volvo or Merc in 20L range

I would suggest you to recommend him Skoda Laura AT. Although i have never experience its AT box, but one of my colleague has been using the car for a while and is pretty satisfied with it. Prior to his purchase, he tded almost all the AT sedan available in the market.

@Gurrala: You mean Volvo/Merc<20L OTR?

How's Renault Fluence for a choice? Should fit in there i guess ? Will cost around 14 or 15l.

oops.. wait. sorry. AT doesn't exist in fluence.

Last edited:

skoda are very bad in providing service n also they charge a fortune first time
though if you are buying car worth 10 lacs you will have sufficient to pay them
cheers!!![;)]

Last edited by a moderator:

@Fahad

I have already suggested him to look at Rapid than Vento. Also suggested him to look at ES, but rear seat space need to be seen here.

I have also told him about Sunny, Scala too

@Anshuman

Diesel or Petrol, not an issue. Mostly Petrol one but Automatic is must. Thank you for your suggestion, I have also told him about Laura too.

By any chance any new model released from Volvo or Merc in 20L range
I agree with you Gurrala on this ES has crumped back seat.I think a person willing to spend 15L wont feel satisfied with ES.As he has said Big NO for Verna and chevy cruze he is left with very few options.

Considering the fact that the new Corolla and the Polo will be at our shores by next year and since your friend is buying a petrol he would keep the car for atleast some years,I would suggest him to go for the Altis. Toyota's service is leagues ahead of VW plus it is more reliable.Also Corolla is a segment higher than Vento and comes with more features too and is more spacious.
I agree with Fahad if backseat comfort and space is a priority then your friend is better off with a sedan rather than Ecosport or any other SUV.

Thread Starter #11

@Akash, yes even I suggested him to check the Skoda Laura which looks like a complete sedan in my view

@Fahad, yes ES may be bit cramped in rear seat for him

I agree with you Mightyme, I have suggested him the same.

Segment 1 : Laura/Cruze/Altis

Segment 2 : Vento/Rapid/Sunny/Scala/ES

Thread Starter #13

@Storm4ce

Sorry, but not looking at Honda City for two reasons 1)they already have a Brio automatic so NO for one more Honda 2) City has GC problem on speed breakers

I've driven many automatic cars in the last 25 years in several countries. Based on my experience I would suggest:
- Buy Toyota or Honda Automatic car. They will last forever (means you'll give up and buy a new car before the car gives up). On the service front, Toyota offers the best after sales service in India. Honda is good as well, but Toyota service is too good to be true (**in comparison to other manufacturers**). The only reason I am not a fan of Honda is that they are a stingy company. Their cars are always less loaded compared to cars made by say Hyundai or even Toyota. A Honda salesman once told me that I should order the CD player separately for 44K for the Honda City. For some strange reason Honda thinks that CD players are obsolete. And Toyota doens't mind putting a DVD/CD/MP3 player in their cars.
- If you're looking for CVT, i.e. you're interested in latest technology, you're looking for optimum mileage, you're looking for ultra smooth driving - I think Renault (Scala/Fluence) and Nissan (Sunny) are the only cars in the Indian market offering CVT. It's 100% imported (CVT and related components). They might seem pricey but the CVTs would definitely give you better mileage. Yes, Nissan and Renault don't have too many service centers. But based on general feedback from my friends who are Nissan owners (Renault and Nissan are the same - feedback on one pretty much applies to the other), the quality of the cars in general is excellent. Engines are top-notch. CVT has been kicking really well all over Europe. So that as well is proven technology.

Note:
- Cars with CVT might be a bit expensive due to import duty.
- Don't think that Toyota and Honda don't have CVTs. They do, but they are not able to get the costing right for the Indian market. Their CVT cars are available in other countries. I am a bit surprised how Nissan and Renault were able to get the costing right and introduce CVT without putting a price tag that is way higher than the non-CVT cars. Anyway, good for the Indian market. Thanks to Nissan and Renault (otherwise companies like Toyota will continue to sell Fortuners with 4 speed automatic (with old noisy engines) for almost 30lakhs - oh well they still do, with an additional 5th gear (big deal!!).

Thread Starter #15

@rafian

Thank you for detailed reply, between the following which one is your pick

Vento/Rapid/Sunny/Altis/Laura

Top Bottom