Sweet Dilemma. HONDA or FORD?

Thread Starter #1
Greetings for the day!

First of all i am glad that i found this site. I got answers to most of my queries just by going through the threads here however i am in a great state of dilemma now.

Here goes my story!
I initially booked Honda Amaze (EMT base model petrol). The waiting period is around 3 months. However now after the launch of Ford Eco Sports i am totally in a state of dilemma. The futuristic technology equipped in this car is just mesmerizing and before anyway points out, yes i know both cars are totally in a different genre. I always wanted to drive an SUV and the launch of this car at such an affordable price had me thinking all night about the decision i made. Now i am considering to cancel the booking for Amaze and go for the Eco Sports. Would that be a wise thing to do? i am terribly confused.

A Few points i consider while looking for a new car.
Reliability tops the list.
Maintenance cost.
Like most of the people do these days i don't want to enjoy the car for a few years and then sell it. I wanna to keep the car for a long term and wont be selling it.
I will be driving in the city.
Wont be using it much. (Avg 4-5 days a week)
I did a fair amount of research on Ford and Honda . I see talks where many people say that a Honda car can go 300,000 miles without any hassle but a ford might break down after just 100,000. Is that true?

Waiting desperately for some advice here.
I hope the advice wont be biased just cause i already booked Amaze :)

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

Hi Drivingrat, Welcome to TAI and congratz to you for booking Amaze.

Now coming back to your dilemma, First thing I need to make clear is Ecosport is not an SUV. It is just Urban UV. There won't be much difference in space between amaze and ES.

And talking about how many miles a car can go, I totally believe it many times depends on how one take care of the car. So you take good care of your car and car will deliver the same back to you with lotz of hassle free smile on your face.

So till now I think so I cleared your 2 doubts. Now coming to main point, if I were I would cancelled Amaze and booked Ecosport. There is no logic behind my decision, you asked for advice, I would have done this. Just because I am completely gone mad after ES. But think before doing this.

Also other thing to consider is waiting period for ES, it is increasing day by day, so you may have to wait a little longer if you do what I have suggested.

As long as reliability is concerned, IMO both cars are equally reliable and as stated above, it depends on how you take care of your car.

All the best.

P.S. I would say cancel amaze and book ES. [evil]

Hi Driveingrat,

Welcome to TAI and nice to see one more auto enthusiast from my native :)

As dharmesh said the Ecosport is not a true SUV. Also it is not spacious like Manza or etios. I have no idea about the space in Amaza. But i guess it will be more or less same as the ecosport.

But ecosport gives the feel of driving a compact SUV. when I saw the car in showroom, i was bowled by its look and driving position. The front seats are really great.

IMO a car's reliability depends on how well you take care of your car. It fully depends on the car owner.

Now if you ask me i will definitely choose ecosport over amaze [:D]

If you are ready to wait for ES to be delivered as thats how the scenario is for the response this vehicle got from market.Its not a true SUV but urban UV which feels like a SUV to drive with charecter.Decide which variant, diesel or petrol variant you want to buy, see the waitlist in your area and if that all clicks fine then yes sure why not.
As far as the realibilty is concerned, yes honda is well known for its long lasting vtec petrol engines for many long miles in it, and yes same you can say with ford as well with the quality and engines.

i checked out amaze and its not soo fabulous on the insides but when you look at the ecosport features they are just mind blowing so the rest depends upon u.
I would opt for the eco sport !!

Thread Starter #6
Thanks both of you for taking out the time and replying.

Wow looks like i need to pick up that phone and call the honda people for cancellation.
So what i understand by both of your posts is that both cars have got the same reliability depending on my handling, right?
I dont know why i still seem to be a bit confused about the reliability factor cause i cant deny the fact that when i put on a search/survey on reliability for honda Vs ford, the Japanese Giant Honda is always a step ahead. (based on the search result and online articles i read over the net.)

One more point is missed
what about the maintenance cost?which one would be cheaper? As i am planning to purchase the car and own it for a long time with no motive to sell it i want a hassle free maintenance through out the course of my ownership.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Any other experts who is catching up with my thread is welcomed for their pick on this. suggestion/views or anything they have to say would be really helpful.

Oh and the waiting period for ES in my area is 1 and half month.
Does that make another plus point for me to go with the ES? :)

Last edited:
^^ I would say don't wait more and book the ES before waiting period increases.

Next As per my knowledge goes, both would be similar as far as maintenance cost is concerned. You can check the below thread to get the feel of Amaze spare price parts.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...883-alert-honda-amaze-spare-parts-prices.html

Below link is on going EcoSport thread, Any questions related to ES, just throw in there and people are ready to help you.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...st-drive-ford-ecosport-test-drive-review.html

P.S. And what are waiting for, pickup the phone, book an ES and make another call and cancel Amaze. [clap]

Amaze is from Honda stable and it has a slight edge in reliability. If I were you, my choice would depend on whether my daily running needs a petrol or diesel.

1. Petrol: Amaze's 1.2L IVTEC is a refined engine and adequately powered for Amaze's kerb weight. Ecosport 1.5L petrol engine is slightly underpowered for it's weight. If you go for 1.0L Ecoboost, then that problem is solved, but the engine is not yet proven.
2. Diesel: Ford's 1.5L TDCi is proven in Indian conditions and has much better NVH than Amaze's 1.5L IDTEC.

I'd say list out more of your requirements, then test drive both, then decide.

My primary requirements were safety, reliability and driveability. I needed a diesel mill due to my high running, so Ecosport met my needs much better.

Thread Starter #9
Hi Bopanna,

I already booked amaze petrol base model and if i go for ES then i would go for petrol base model. Like i said my main concern is reliability and a hassle free ownership.

i dont have much technical knowledge on the engine but as a lay man if i ask you which out of the two cars (petrol) have a better refined engine with a long life, what would be your pick?

And again which out of the two cars should have a low maintenance cost?

Thanks for your advice it helps!

Thread Starter #10
Hey dharmesh,

I didnt know Honda Amaze spares are so expensive.
That link was helpful, thanks.

Tomorrow the FORD people will get the ES to my place for a home demo. Feeling excited.
Will post about my experience soon.
Cheers!

Honda's 1.2L iVTEC is better on refinement. But no difference on long life. Honda is known for it's hassle free ownership. Ecosport's maintenance cost is yet unknown.

Hi Bopanna,

I already booked amaze petrol base model and if i go for ES then i would go for petrol base model. Like i said my main concern is reliability and a hassle free ownership.

i dont have much technical knowledge on the engine but as a lay man if i ask you which out of the two cars (petrol) have a better refined engine with a long life, what would be your pick?

And again which out of the two cars should have a low maintenance cost?

Thanks for your advice it helps!
Amaze is my pick and Honda i vtec petrol engines are known for their reliability and performance/mileage. As you mentioned,your concern is reliability and a hassle free ownership go for Amaze, though i don't like its looks & interior. if you like a attractive, good looking UV with good interior, then go for ES.

If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one, because if you really loved the first one you wouldn't have fallen for the second. - Johny Depp

Ecosport, it is.
I think this would have answered all your confusion [lol].

@JohnyBoy, Nice one buddy [clap].

Top Bottom