Urgent Help On Buying New Figo Which Has Spent 6 Months in Yard

Thread Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, and as my first post, I present to you a question which begs an URGENT response.

I have booked a Ford Figo in delhi. Due to the specific color being rare (Chill Metallic), my car is being delivered from Manesar.

I was also informed that the manufacturing date of this piece is JANUARY 2013.

I plan to do a thorough PDI of this vehicle tomorrow.

My question is, is it ok to buy a car that has been manufactured 6 months ago???

please do respond quickly, and do tell whether its a total deal breaker, or what things should i check before buying this piece.

Thank you

350Z

Core Team
I am new to this forum, and as my first post, I present to you a question which begs an URGENT response.
You’re welcome to The Automotive India first of all. :smile:

My question is, is it ok to buy a car that has been manufactured 6 months ago???
Six month old car cannot be considered as a deal breaker whatsoever. Just ensure it’s in mint condition by all means. It also gives you an edge for further negotiation.

please do respond quickly, and do tell whether its a total deal breaker, or what things should i check before buying this piece.
Here’s an exhaustive guide along with a PDF checklist. Don’t forget to carry a print of it tomorrow: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pre-delivery-inspection-exhaustive-guide.html.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Welcome to TAI. 2013 the market for cars are not good. You might see even 2012 manufactured cars in my car dealers. No wonder you will find even 2011 cars in Tata, Mahindra. Try to make a good deal of it. There is no harm in taking that car make sure the paints are good as these cars would have been in open grounds on all seasons.

Thread Starter #4
Wow!! that was fast!!!
Thanks so much.

I am getting a fairly good deal on the Figo. But that was before I chose the color, hence the deal was technically for a brand new, recent make car.

Now that they have told me that its a JAN 2013 make, am I entitled to a further discount? And if yes, in your opinion, how much?

No matter it is Jan 2013 model but still a 6 month old car. Have you ever seen any car yards? Man I have been to VW, Mahindra, Ford, Maruti all of these yards were a open ground. Saw all these cars in open yard with dust, dogs and cats on them, some cars even had nail marks of cats. So first check which car they can offer you and negotiate. Ford people are expected to be a good negotiator. Already they give good offers Up to 40k try for another 20k and get some freebees too.

No Problem with car. Do the PDI rigorously . Chcek for the tyre, if they are low on pressure, then they might have devloped crack and check for battery also. Rest should be ok.

Wow!! that was fast!!!
Thanks so much.

I am getting a fairly good deal on the Figo. But that was before I chose the color, hence the deal was technically for a brand new, recent make car.

Now that they have told me that its a JAN 2013 make, am I entitled to a further discount? And if yes, in your opinion, how much?
Negotiate Negotiate and then negotiate a little more. Dont take 6 month old car at the same price as a new one, favorite color or not.

Show that you are prepared to walk away and go to another dealer/brand. Dont be fooled by freebies. The latest version comes with underbody coating and inner door waxing. However see if you can get extended warranty (3rd and 4th year) within your price. Make the dealer wait for atleast a week before finalizing.

Also they are liable to refund your money fully if its only a deposit and the car has not been billed to you. If its billed to you, then also there is a refund but some deduction. However if you get more discounts than whats being deducted, it makes more sense.

On the 6 month old car, as others have said .. do the PDI carefully. You are lucky that monsoon just arrived, so I guess there would not be any issue with rust etc. But since its lying in the yard, make sure that there has been no rat infestation and the wires have not been chewed on. Check all the lights, wipers etc.

And lastly best of luck with your new ride.

Thread Starter #8
Thank you K!NKY, amit1km and chayan.......!!

I was in two minds whether I should haggle further, but now i'm gonna.....!!!

I too have seen pics of stock yards, and boy! are those cars BAD!! :)

I have gone through the PDI section, and taken a checklist printout as well. Just going for the PDI right now. I'll do a thorough checkup and get back to you guys...

Thanks so much people.... :)

350Z

Core Team

You’re in fact supposed to avail a better deal than the recent model. Decode the VIN to learn exact date of manufacture. What deal you’re getting right now?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12
Hi.

I'm getting the car for ~6.38Lac. Its a FORD FIGO DURATORQ 1.4 Titanium.

From the company quoted on road price of 7.0Lac something (which includes zero dep insurance(4k) and 3M body care package(5.5k),

I'm getting the following concessions (according to them):-

1) Exchange bonus + car value of 15 year old zen = 15k + 22k = 37k
2) Free insurance for first year = 18k
3) Free mud guards and mats = 2k
4) Free 3M body care package(teflon coat and anti rust underbody coat) = 5.5k

These were the cash discounts which they deducted from the official quoted on road price.

I also managed to get the following freebies:-

1) Reverse parking sensor(which i really need where i live) = 6k according to them, 3.5k actual value in market.

2) Gear lock from Minda (which i would have bought otherwise) = dunno, around 2k I think.

3) Seat Covers = Got a choice of well padded vinyl or fabric seat covers (chose fabric). They claim these to be worth 6.5k, but oh come on!!

Did a PDI of the car today.

Minor faults first:-

1) very small, 2mm x 2mm dent on rear wheel arch

2) Boot door sat asymmetrically on the body. ie there was about 2-3 mm MORE gap on one side than the other. But i read that this is normal for a figo. -1 for ford. (I am worried that a lot of water is going to enter the car through that gap during washing and rains. can i do something about it??)

3) Even though the car's build quality was excellent, there were a LOT of seams and welds visible here and there. This was a common feature in all the FIGOs parked there. Dunno why they skimp on such a minor finishing point.

4) The gear lock that was fitted was lop-sided, even though it worked perfectly. I guess you just cant achieve perfection with that thing.

5) For some strange reason, there was an empty bulb slot in the bottom bay of both the tail lights. None of the FIGOs had a bulb there. Anyone know what that is for??

6) The ford ppl had fitted the accessories already, even though I had given specific instructions for them not to do so.

7) The car was DUSTY!! I mean, did Delhi have a dust storm today or what. almost as if someone had purposefully put dirt and bird poop on the car.

Now the plus points.

1) LOTS of features. i like features. :)

2) AC. WOW. i mean really. I was sweating like anything, then 30 seconds of AC and it was the season of early spring inside the car. :)

3) Music system. MUCH MUCH better than anything I have owned till now. I'm totally satisfied with it.

4) Did not get to drive it on the road this time, as there was no registration, But I liked driving the figo in general.

5) The engine compartment was squeaky clean, as expected. All the "fluids" were crystal clear and sparkling. At least Ford did not skimp on the things that make a difference to the functioning of the car.

6) {Dunno whether this is a plus point}The make of the tires was Goodyear GM3. they seemed fresh enough. they even had those little "hair" that all new tires seem to have. is that a guarantee that the tires are new??? Also, they were manufactured in the first week of 2013. there were no signs of damage or deterioration. should the manufacturing date worry me??

So please. do analyse this and tell me whether I got an ok deal? and is there anything i need to do or check?

PS: THE VIN i decoded showed the date of manufacture of the car to be 2031!! thats right 2031 but thn=en wiki said that FORD vin codes are different. is that so??

PPS: I checked and noted the engine and chasis number, and checked the same on the form 22. no worries there.

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
You’re getting a desirable deal but there is a scope of further negotiation on the on-road price.

Which variant of Zen it is and how is the condition and kilometers done? The car’s value sounds a bit less.

Boot door sat asymmetrically on the body. ie there was about 2-3 mm MORE gap on one side than the other. But i read that this is normal for a figo. -1 for ford. (I am worried that a lot of water is going to enter the car through that gap during washing and rains. can i do something about it??)
Ford is notorious for inconsistency across its models. My Fiesta is no exception. So I’m not surprised to read this about Figo. Personally check if the water is getting in or not.

For some strange reason, there was an empty bulb slot in the bottom bay of both the tail lights. None of the FIGOs had a bulb there. Anyone know what that is for??
That’s normal.

The ford ppl had fitted the accessories already, even though I had given specific instructions for them not to do so.
Possibly this car would have been booked by someone else but later cancelled. Just check the fitting and functioning of all the accessories.

6) {Dunno whether this is a plus point}The make of the tires was Goodyear GM3. they seemed fresh enough. they even had those little "hair" that all new tires seem to have. is that a guarantee that the tires are new??? Also, they were manufactured in the first week of 2013. there were no signs of damage or deterioration. should the manufacturing date worry me??
Tyres installed are usually manufactured in the same month when the car is produced.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi.

From the company quoted on road price of 7.0Lac something (which includes zero dep insurance(4k) and 3M body care package(5.5k),

I'm getting the following concessions (according to them):-

2) Free insurance for first year = 18k
3) Free mud guards and mats = 2k
4) Free 3M body care package(teflon coat and anti rust underbody coat) = 5.5k

These were the cash discounts which they deducted from the official quoted on road price.
The discounts are indeed less. My friend had got around 45K off on Figo TDCI bought in Jan 2013,(Dec 2012 model). Push for more discounts.

If that car has been sitting for 6 months means not a lot of people have been demanding that diesel variant in that color, use this as your opening bid and bargain more aggressively.

Top Bottom