Looking for a Reliable Diesel Car & Good Resale Value (Booked Ritz VDi)

Thread Starter #1
I am looking to buy a used diesel car(2012 and above) if not a new car. 2000kms per month average running.

need good resale value and easier to maintain. means, after 4-5 years, a good resale value. then, cheaper service charges and reliability.

I see only maruti suzuki cars comes in this category. out of which Ritz seems a good option. however, I just saw a news showing Ritz will be eventually stopped.

I am living in a rural town 40kms from Cochin. here Maruti has got 2 dealers and Tata,Ford are the other dealers here(dealer-service).

• Is Ritz LDI got a good resale value? is it spacious than swift?
  • how is the maruti pre-owned cars? is it advisable?
  • what is the cost of ownership? average charges for every service?
  • Is it reliable enough for the first 4-5 years? how often do we need to visit MASS(workshop)?
  • some random guy told swift/ritz newest model engine is not as appreciated as earlier model?(I know all are fiat multijets.. still)
  • what is the fuel efficiency in city conditions and highway for Ritz diesel?
if I am to get a Petrol car, which one will have better resale value?
1. Ritz Vxi
2.Wagon R Vxi

after CRDI diesel engines, is it really true that cost of ownership for Petrol cars(of the same model) if compared to diesels is still cheaper to maintain?

Thanks and please reply.

Last edited:
For a monthly commute of 2000 kms you should look for diesel car. Ritz is a better choice over wagonr. Why not look for swift? You will get all you are looking for. Wagonr a good petrol hatch gives a tall boy feel. It has a good FE of 15 to 16 Wagonr. Both ritz and wagonr has a good resale value in market. You know maruti badge goes out in used car and new car market. Still I will say look for swift that will be better choice

Re: Looking a Reliable Diesel Car With Good Resale Value

You need to find a car that you and your family will be comfortable owning for the 4-5 years.Try not to think about the resale value even before the purchase.

That said, Maruti has a good foot print in India.The choice of cars in diesel though is very limited.A lot of people I know are happy with Hyundai and the Getz and i20's so you should look at those as well.

Try to stay away from CNG and LPG at any costs.

If you go for a petrol the wagon-r makes more sense because of interior space.

Any car you buy, take a trusty mechanic along who can check the cars condition and report about things that are not visible.These are the things that will empty your pockets.

The new K series engines in petrol are amazing, you need to drive one to understand.I am not sure of the diesel ones.

You need to find a car that you and your family will be comfortable owning for the 4-5 years.Try not to think about the resale value even before the purchase.

That said, Maruti has a good foot print in India.The choice of cars in diesel though is very limited.A lot of people I know are happy with Hyundai and the Getz and i20's so you should look at those as well.

Try to stay away from CNG and LPG at any costs.

If you go for a petrol the wagon-r makes more sense because of interior space.

Any car you buy, take a trusty mechanic along who can check the cars condition and report about things that are not visible.These are the things that will empty your pockets.

The new K series engines in petrol are amazing, you need to drive one to understand.I am not sure of the diesel ones.
Bro why to stay away from cng ? I see most of sx4 and wagon r in Mumbai cng only .

Is there some issue with the cng cars from maruti ?

Kerla if not mistaken doesn't have a cng infrastructure it seems so anyway maruti won't be selling cng cars there anyway .

Thread Starter #5

I will want to re-visit the Wagon-R option since I am advised that for our use, it will suffice.I know it is a downgrade(ex car Vista QJD) . please tell me about the expected mileage(kmpl) etc. Vxi model comes at around Rs4,50,000 OTR ?. I am not up to date with Car technolgies.
is the new wagon-R(2013) got K-Series engine?
Also, whether Maruti is offering any discounts?

@Raja:The engine wears out faster with CNG and LPG.A lot of car people and transport people will agree with me on this.It is a cheaper alternative but it is not really good for the engine.Engine parts tend to wear out faster.

The issue is not just with Maruti but with other manufacturers as well.

@biker:As per your driving needs you need a diesel car.The Wagon-R is petrol, given the amount of running you plan to do it may not be economical given your situation.

Thread Starter #7

@jarpickle: earlier my running does not cover above 1000-1200kms. but, recently only with some urgent trips it landed in 2000kms mark for few months.

so, I guess it is OK with a petrol car also.

My Dilemma is, I don't want to spend above around 5Lakhs region for any car as of now. so, new Ritz is not all an option.

In Petrol Car, Wagon-R Vxi new purchase idea interests me. however, I guesstimate around 4.7Lakhs OTR for this car in my town.
then, yesterday only I personally checked a 4/2012 9600kms only ran Ritz VDI car for sale here. except a dent in the running board area, I don't find any faults. asking price was Rs5.6 Lakhs and I believe it is available for Rs 5.4lakhs.

So, if I spend around 60-70,000 more I can get a Diesel multijet engined Maruti. that is interesting me.

what is the fuel efficiency of Wagon-R?

kindly guide.

If you check the above post by K!NKY you will see he has specified the average to be aroun 15-16Kmpl.

If you do decide to go with a used car please take a mechanic along to check the actual condition of the car.

Also to understand the difference between running a petrol and diesel car you can check out this very brief explanation, although it is on the Ertiga it would still be helpful for you.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ertiga-mileage-details-all-ertiga-owners.html

It is interesting (?) to see you are planning to downgrade from Vista QJD Diesel to Wagon R petrol. What happened to Vista? Which model was that?Is there any issue on that?How about a new Vista?[;)]

Thread Starter #10

It is interesting (?) to see you are planning to downgrade from Vista QJD Diesel to Wagon R petrol. What happened to Vista? Which model was that?Is there any issue on that?How about a new Vista?[;)]
Never another Vista.

on one side I am ready to get a new Ritz but am not really ready to spend that much money(at this time), yet I fear what "others" will think if I downgrade to Wagon-R! that is a weird scenario. because, at the end I am not much a car enthusiast but someone looking for a economical solution to my transportation problems.

Don't worry about what other people will think.As long as you and your family are comfortable with the car then just go ahead.

Biker @

One suggestion,

at present scenario, Think about Only diesel.
at your budget available options are
1. Beat
2.Indica V2/ev2
3. Ritz.

by the way i am from Angamaly and you?

Thread Starter #13

Biker @

One suggestion,

at present scenario, Think about Only diesel.
at your budget available options are
1. Beat
2.Indica V2/ev2
3. Ritz.

by the way i am from Angamaly and you?
I know the benefits since I was driving Vista quadrajet until 4 days back!
you can comfortably and fastly reach places, diesels enjoy fast speeds yet good fuel economy and then cheaper fuel costs too. turbo power never to miss out(multijet).

with Tata Vista QJD - think for someone who have running of excess of 3000kms will justify only keeping it since parts failing and service charges are high

awaiting a choice. btw I am from Muvattupuzha.

Last edited:

Parts failing? are they engine parts?How the rates comparing to Maruti DDIS spares? What model was your Vista?How much KM crossed?Is that car was a second one?

I heard the old vista quality was not good and the current ones are way better.

I do not agree with maruti or hyundai or tata costing lesser or cheaper as all are almost close and not cheap to maintain for their diesel engines, not even maruti.But yes having said that the running cost and savings on your fuel bills with higher FE that these vehicles gives makes up for the maintenance costs as well on your fuel bills.
Maruti enjoys the wide network spread along with the hyundai and tata equally or near much to them,also spares availability and even road side mechanic could get things to working condition for maruti is why its been widely choosed to.
Swift, Ritz is the choice for maruti hatchbacks you could have a look at.Swift is the best running car since quite long time and still holds good resale value in market compared to other cars.Test drive your shortlisted ones that fits your budget and see which one appeal to you more with your head and heart.

Top Bottom