Need Help in Buying a Used Sedan

Thread Starter #1
Hi, i am in look out for a used car and need help in making the choice and i hope i am not at the wrong place.
Let me fill out the answers for the basic questions that will help you refine the clarifications:

Budget : 4.5-5.5 lakh INR
New or Used : Used
Top Priorities: Low maintenance, comfort, space,reliability
Annual running : 8000 - 9000 kms
Fuel : petrol
Purpose : As a family car (family of 4)
Type of segment : Sedan

The car will be driven 80% on the highway.

Personally, i like the corolla 1.8 very much for no reason, and started searching for a 2008 model, which falls into the budget. But then, dad says to get a more recent car such as a 2011 i20 petrol. But since i am the one to drive the car 100%, i would like to know about the performance of the 1.2L mill on the highways. How would you compare the two cars at 110 - 130 kmph?

Also, need some clarifications on corolla:

1. How good will be a well maintained 2008 corolla(before the altis) with less than 50k on the odo.
2. Being a five year old one, what all problems will i have to deal with, if i ever get one?
3. what is the service interval of corolla and what costs can i expect? (About 15-20k max, per year is fine for me.)
4. Also what are the major parts that would give up often(if any)? What would be the costs for major services including timing belt change,brakes,clutch,etc..(if ever i would encounter one such service, considering my annual running).

If your budget is upto 5.5 lacs best car to buy is used Honda City. Toyota cars are also very reliable. Try to get a car which is about 3-4 years old and not driven more than 40-50K.

if you are looking at corolla, then why not Civic? its japanese so not much will go wrong with these. servicing costs will be lesser side as well.

Oh yes !! I agree completely.. With a budget of 6 lacks you will surely get Honda City and Civic. They are probably the best petrol sedans.
Toyota are good too ( corolla i mean). But my green light will be on Honda Civic first and then the city, as you are considering the petrol version.

Hope you make a good choice and have safe and happy drives.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks to all for your inputs.

In fact, i did consider the civic and city before. But the civic was ruled out just because i saw a civic struggling to get past a speed breaker, which i would have to make each time i go out. But i would definitely consider the city. But all my relatives neighbors are saying not to go for a honda, or the maintenance bills would be high. None of them drives a honda though. Is this so? How is honda A.S.S? in cochin? How would you compare it to the toyota?

Honda maintenance is high.I am not familiar with Toyota, but Toyota engines are known to last long.

First tip, if you are new to buying a used car take an experienced mechanic along to check the car.Make sure everything is functioning as it should.

Secondly,check the color of the fluids(engine oil/gearoil/coolant).Check the smell of the engine oil, it should not smell like coolant.If yes then walk away from the car.
Check the belts, if they are whining, try to bargain on the price.It is expensive on some cars to change the timing belt.
Take a long test drive, observe the temperature gauge.Check the coolant tank for signs of oil.See if the coolant is muddy.If muddy walk away.
Do a bounce test on the car to check the suspension.Check the underbody for rust.Since you live in Cochin, rust can be a big problem.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your inputs.

In fact, i did consider the civic and city before. But the civic was ruled out just because i saw a civic struggling to get past a speed breaker, which i would have to make each time i go out. But i would definitely consider the city. But all my relatives neighbors are saying not to go for a honda, or the maintenance bills would be high. None of them drives a honda though. Is this so? How is honda A.S.S? in cochin? How would you compare it to the toyota?
I guess they have increased the ground clearance. Have a check before you own one. I have a friend who owns city,civic and jazz. City being the oldest, He did not have any problems as such. Hondas are known for durable and highly efficient petrol engines though. A.S.S is also good. Spare parts are a bit costly but you won't need a spare part change early (if you get the thoroughly inspected car). they are highly durable. No big ideas on toyota's. No comments. Heard they had a good engine and performance. Check with the quality of interiors. All the best.[:)]

Top Bottom