Volkswagen Vento Highline (D) or Hyundai Verna Fluidic EX or ?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking for a C segment car based on below priorities :

Your Budget: 10 L

New or Used: New

Your Location: Working in New Delhi, Hometown - Bhiwani, Haryana.

Top Five Priorities: Comfort, Safety, Handling, Low Maintenance, Design.
1. Looks & Comfort (Interior plus Exterior)
2. Better Handling and Drive.
3. Economic (both in terms of FE & maintenance)

Monthly Running: Between 1,500 – 2,000 Kms)

Type of Fuel: Diesel

For What Purpose: Regular Use (City : 1,000 - 1,200 Kms ; Highways : 7,00 - 1,000 Kms)

Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults

Type of Segment: Sedan

I've shortlisted Volkswagen Vento & Hyundai Verna. No doubt i was more inclined towards Vento but ASS and No. of Verna in city confusing me if I'm right. Please suggest the best..

Thanks in advance
Anil

Last edited:
Hey Anil both the cars you have mentioned are great and yes you are right when you have to worry a bit on the VWs ASS as there are no free services but then again the service intervals are only once a year. The VW obviously has the solid german engineering and and fit and finish is top notch but I remember when we were short listing a car for us in the same price range we found the Vento to be a tad bit smaller on the inside compared to the Verna.
The Verna on the other hand is definitely a looker with looker ASS costs, but I think the ride and handling may not be as good as the VW.

Might I suggest you also have a look at the Fiat Linea Diesel and the new Ford Fiesta Diesel as well.

Also please do TD the vehicles before you make a final call. Hope this helps [:)]

Thread Starter #3
Thanks ronz_2507 !!

I've taken TD for VW Vento and Vento, planning to go again this weekend.

Somehow I don't like looks of Linea and one of my friend has Fiesta, its a good car too.

Hi friend, i would like to suggest Honda City than Vento. It provides better service. But it is little old model and good one.

Both the cars are good and quite different from each other. If you are looking for list of features than go for the Verna. Vento has a slight advantage over Verna when it comes to Handling but that does not mean Verna is a bad handler.

Also a big drawback with Vento is that if you put 5 people and luggage the GC reduces to a big extent and it will touch probably all the speed breakers in Delhi. I recently did a trip in Vento and we were 5 people with limited luggage and it was a task to cross the speed breakers and big pot holes and the Vento's underbelly scratched so many times.

Thanks ronz_2507 !!

I've taken TD for VW Vento and Vento, planning to go again this weekend.

Somehow I don't like looks of Linea and one of my friend has Fiesta, its a good car too.
Take the TD again and see how the car behaves and which one is more comfortable and rings most of the bells for you.

Hi friend, i would like to suggest Honda City than Vento. It provides better service. But it is little old model and good one.
Buddy his monthly running is almost 2000 kms so a diesel will be a better option for him.

I've shortlisted Volkswagen Vento & Hyundai Verna. No doubt i was more inclined towards Vento but ASS and No. of Verna in city confusing me if I'm right. Please suggest the best..

Thanks in advance
Anil
I surprised that you have shortlisted only two in this segment. In this segment my favorite is Skoda Rapid. But in your case the safe bet (hope Delhi police [evil] not reading this word) between Vento and Verna is Verna.[clap]

Thread Starter #7
Both the cars are good and quite different from each other. If you are looking for list of features than go for the Verna. Vento has a slight advantage over Verna when it comes to Handling but that does not mean Verna is a bad handler.

Also a big drawback with Vento is that if you put 5 people and luggage the GC reduces to a big extent and it will touch probably all the speed breakers in Delhi. I recently did a trip in Vento and we were 5 people with limited luggage and it was a task to cross the speed breakers and big pot holes and the Vento's underbelly scratched so many times.

Take the TD again and see how the car behaves and which one is more comfortable and rings most of the bells for you.

Buddy his monthly running is almost 2000 kms so a diesel will be a better option for him.
Thanks Sir !! I'm going my hometown today (planning to buy car from hometown only).. Will take TD of both these cars and will book whichever gonna ring.. My personal research between these two given following points :

Verna
Pros : 1. Better ASS and lower maintenance (over Vento).
2. FE is better (than Vento).
3. Features (few extra gadgets than Vento).

Cons : 1. Handling at higher speed.
2. Built quality (than Vento).

Vento
Pros : 1. German Engineering (Better Engine, torque monster and handling)
2. Looks (Although Verna is very well equipped and its subjective but I like simplicity of Vento)

Cons : 1. ASS
2. Higher Maintenance

I surprised that you have shortlisted only two in this segment. In this segment my favorite is Skoda Rapid. But in your case the safe bet (hope Delhi police [evil] not reading this word) between Vento and Verna is Verna.[clap]
Thanks Sir !!
I considered Rapid too, same engine as Vento but better package.. It's only looks that I preferred Vento (especially dark headlamps, dashboard, Steering and VW logo)

Thanks Sir !! I'm going my hometown today (planning to buy car from hometown only).. Will take TD of both these cars and will book whichever gonna ring.. My personal research between these two given following points :

Verna
Pros : 1. Better ASS and lower maintenance (over Vento).
2. FE is better (than Vento).
3. Features (few extra gadgets than Vento).

Cons : 1. Handling at higher speed.
2. Built quality (than Vento).

Vento
Pros : 1. German Engineering (Better Engine, torque monster and handling)
2. Looks (Although Verna is very well equipped and its subjective but I like simplicity of Vento)

Cons : 1. ASS
2. Higher Maintenance
Try taking TD of both the vehicles again but do check the GC in Vento.

Thanks Sir !!
I considered Rapid too, same engine as Vento but better package.. It's only looks that I preferred Vento (especially dark headlamps, dashboard, Steering and VW logo)
Try checking out the Rapid Prestige addition.

Ok since you will be doing a lot of Highway driving too, I would advice you to go for the Vento. Mind you, I have a fluidic Verna as well as a VW(Polo and not a Vento though) in my garage and I can vouch for that. Highway ride quality in the Verna has been highlighted by many and rightly so. If you drive below 90-100kmph out on the highways,then even the Verna will solve the purpose though the steering is as lifeless as it could get. Beyond 100kmph, even the suspension setup starts making you a little scared with its vertical movements. Polo on the other hand is solid on even speeds of excess of 140kmph. I am sure Vento would feel even better if not the same. In city, the Verna pips just ahead of the Vento with its effortless driving but out on the highway its ride quality is far behind from what the VW has to offer.

Regarding ground clearance as Singh890 told you regarding the Vento with 5 on board, even the Verna is not ahead in this department. It bottoms out rather easily with even 2 sitting in the rear and some luggage in the boot. So I guess both are almost evenly matched on that front. Go for a test drive of both and see for yourself which one you are more comfortable driving with.

One thing which is in favour of Verna is that the NVH level of the CRDI engine is simply impeccable where as the Vento's engine is quite audible on the outside, inside the cabin is quite silent with the generous amount of sound dampening but the Verna's engine is simply outstanding in this department.

Regarding the maintenance, VW is surely a tad expensive than the Hyundai. Comes to almost Rs.10k per service for VW but that's for every 15k kms or 1 year. Verna's service costs about Rs. 5-6k for I guess every 10k kms, comes about almost the same. But even spending hardly 3-4k extra while servicing in the whole year should not hinder with your buying decision.
Go for long test drives of both the cars back to back with some amount of high speed driving out on the highway too, it will clear a lot of air.

Regarding ground clearance as Singh890 told you regarding the Vento with 5 on board, even the Verna is not ahead in this department. It bottoms out rather easily with even 2 sitting in the rear and some luggage in the boot. So I guess both are almost evenly matched on that front. Go for a test drive of both and see for yourself which one you are more comfortable driving with.

One thing which is in favour of Verna is that the NVH level of the CRDI engine is simply impeccable where as the Vento's engine is quite audible on the outside, inside the cabin is quite silent with the generous amount of sound dampening but the Verna's engine is simply outstanding in this department.

Regarding the maintenance, VW is surely a tad expensive than the Hyundai. Comes to almost Rs.10k per service for VW but that's for every 15k kms or 1 year. Verna's service costs about Rs. 5-6k for I guess every 10k kms, comes about almost the same. But even spending hardly 3-4k extra while servicing in the whole year should not hinder with your buying decision.
Go for long test drives of both the cars back to back with some amount of high speed driving out on the highway too, it will clear a lot of air.
+1 to that.

But if i am not wrong vento's GC is lesser then Verna. So with 4/5 people and luggage Verna will definitely have an advantage over Vento.

Also a quick question does anyone know where is the oil chamber located in Vento. If i am not mistaken it's on the lower side. Anyone can confirm that?

Anil to be very honest with you, and if I were in your place, i probably wouldn't go for either for them - I suggest you also TD the Ecosport(once it arrives) and Duster - both ride like a sedan and are infact pseudo sedans ! You should atleast consider them in your list is my suggestion

If strictly between the 2 only, I would suggest the Vento.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Anil to be very honest with you, and if I were in your place, i probably wouldn't go for either for them - I suggest you also TD the Ecosport(once it arrives) and Duster - both ride like a sedan and are infact pseudo sedans ! You should atleast consider them in your list is my suggestion

If strictly between the 2 only, I would suggest the Vento.
:-) I've taken TD of Verna and Vento.. Liked the feel of Vento while driving plus interior aura but I felt a 'thud' voice while crossing on speed brakers with lil speed, Verna got advantage in this.. It was smother with 4 persons onboard..

"Thud Voice" - I was not able to understand this voice, it was not coz of body touching the ground but something else, even the sales person was unable to explain that. We checked boot after TD if voice coming from there but it was not from there, will try different car tomorrow..

Braking of Verna was better and even brakes and clutch were smoother in Verna (good for city driving).

Tomorrow going to another showroom for TD of Vento & if I can find a better deal too..

@ iron rock - Sir, I was thinking bout Duster couple of months back and after lil research I came to know that the interior quality and driving is not meeting the expectations, no doubt looks are great, will take a look and TD tomorrow itself.

I hv visited ford, noida last week but Ecosport ws not arrived by that time :-(
Will try checking reviews tomorrow.

Guys actually I'm planning to book the car on 16th (my b'day ;-)) but I can postpone it if there's any other good option in this budget. It would be great if u guys can help me in sharing what cud be best on road deal for Vento or Verna, till now m getting both these cars for roughly 10.8L on road (Verna SX or Vento HL).

Last edited:
Guys actually I'm planning to book the car on 16th (my b'day ;-)) but I can postpone it if there's any other good option in this budget. It would be great if u guys can help me in sharing what cud be best on road deal for Vento or Verna, till now m getting both these cars for roughly 10.8L on road (Verna SX or Vento HL).
Since you are in Delhi why not get your car registered Faridabad or Gurgaon, if you can provide an address proof. It will be cheaper there.!

Also try to get as much accessories as you can, try to bargain on the insurance if the dealer is not giving you any discount on the car price.

:-) I've taken TD of Verna and Vento.. Liked the feel of Vento while driving plus interior aura but I felt a 'thud' voice while crossing on speed brakers with lil speed, Verna got advantage in this.. It was smother with 4 persons onboard..

"Thud Voice" - I was not able to understand this voice, it was not coz of body touching the ground but something else, even the sales person was unable to explain that. We checked boot after TD if voice coming from there but it was not from there, will try different car tomorrow..

Braking of Verna was better and even brakes and clutch were smoother in Verna (good for city driving).

Tomorrow going to another showroom for TD of Vento & if I can find a better deal too..

Thud noise in the Vento could be due to the mud flaps from what I can possibly make out. The stock mudflaps from VW for both Vento and Polo have a design flaw and they do bottom out rather easily and make loud noise and you feel as if you scraped the underbelly of the car. Try getting another test drive in a different demo vehicle and preferably if its without those mudflaps or ask the SE about this issue. There are numerous ownership thread available online highlighting this design flaw of the mudflaps.

I agree with you,braking is a tad better in the Verna and even the clutch is lighter than Vento/Polo. Although both are brilliant products and you won't possibly go wrong if you choose either of them. But at similar price points, I think Vento with its better handling and drivability has a slight advantage as an overall package.

Top Bottom