Buying Dilemma:- Vista D90 : Is it Reliable in Long Term of Ownership?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post here. If anything, I should be correcting, please lemme know.

I am going to buy my first car;. The constraints are,
  1. A diesel, hatch back
  2. Cant invest too much or dont want too low
  3. Safety : 2 air bags & ABS
  4. Rear defogger (considering long journeys in early mornings)

i classified cars into 3 levels, based on its power and price, And I decided i will go for the middle level. I finally chose, Sail Uva, which 8.2 lakhs (on road - Bangalore). Specs/Price it was better than all other cars in its category. I was re analyzing my decision and stumbled on Vista D90, which i had kept at top level along with punto 90 hp and i20 and is priced lesser than Sail UVA. Its 8L for ZX, and 8.4L for ZX+. (Both prices for Tata are with extended warranty)

Hearing my choice(not even booked), my parents, friends all are treating me like I have committed some sin. Literally they are having a revolt against me. Most of them doesn't have any reasons, other than "its Tata". Some said about resale value, which I am not concerned. Because I don't think I will change my car in any near future. Also, you can ever buy a maruti if considering resale value.

Now, Some others said about the condition of car after some years or few 10K kms. Is it true? Does it starts to fail on various elements? Will it have rattling sounds, swinging parts, failing mechanics etc...?

I am not concerned about the brand, design, interior feel (which actually I liked in case of d90) etc... But I am concerned about the reliability since, I am going it to use it for a long time, really long time, and will have long journeys, Bangalore - Malappuram Kerala

Please friends, need your advice so badly.

Thank & Regards

Re: Buying Dilemma :- Vista D90 : Is it reliable in long term of ownership?

Welcome aboard mate [;)]

When you have narrowed down to D90 and very confident about the vehicle i would say you should go ahead, you should go for what you like to drive and not the one other wants you to be seen with

no car is perfect and no car is worse, to explain further i drive a swift which has no rattles and is in mint condition, anyone who gets in to my car and travels with me do not believe it a 2 1/2 years old car, i do a weekly check up and fix any problems now and then, if i find a door pad has a rattle noise i change all the 9 pins to new pins giving zero chance for error if so any, i drive fast but i never abuse or rash drive my car, i do preventive maintenance lift my car in a service center once in 2 months and get all the wheels and caliper checked, by the way i do this because i drive 80 kms a day to be precise and want everything in order this practice make you to keep the car in top notch condition whatever vehicle it is

Our Innova is driven like a baby soft and sweet and only in highways, but with less maintenance, it does give rattles and small niggling issues

so i hope you got it, its how well you maintain and drive is what it depends on, i have also seen horribly maintained 1 year old skoda fab's

If one can do that to a Fab in 1 year he can do that to D90 in 3 months time [:)]

I have driven a indica vista and i am sure it a reliable car and worth the buck, also be aware that indica is the car on indian roads which takes serious abuse by T-boards drivers and still survives long, really long

Make sure you maintain it properly it would easily cross 6 years with ease and you need not worry about it

Last edited:

car should be fine but have you wondered how you and your car would be treated post sales. huh..better avoid a Tata car.no matter how much people say they are happy with a Tata car, avoid it . Unless otherwise you have time to wait endless at service center and do a pdi after every service and scratches on the body, , Failure to resolve etc.<br />
<br />
btw What good is those 90bhp in vista.the car is worst of handler and poorest syeering response

Welcome to TAI.

Vista D90 is a good choice for B2 segment hatch. You can get some discounts also on OTR price. Trying buying from KHT/Aadya and service from Concorde ONLY.

The car handles very well and QJT engine is gem. You can get very good FE also in city and highway. I own a Manza, hence I am saying from my experience.

I have owned driven two TATA cars but have not had many issues with TASS for sure (in various cities). Though I agree, there might be some quality issues with TATA cars.

Please refer these posts on Vista to know further :

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ista-qjd-vx-12-months-25-000kms-counting.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ista-quadrajet-d90-launched-rs-5-99-lakh.html

www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/11275-tata-indica-vista-vx-jet-flying-roads.html

All the best,

Anshuman

Thread Starter #5

Welcome aboard mate [;)]

When you have narrowed down to D90 and very confident about the vehicle i would say you should go ahead, you should go for what you like to drive and not the one other wants you to be seen with

no car is perfect and no car is worse, to explain further i drive a swift which has no rattles and is in mint condition, anyone who gets in to my car and travels with me do not believe it a 2 1/2 years old car, i do a weekly check up and fix any problems now and then, if i find a door pad has a rattle noise i change all the 9 pins to new pins giving zero chance for error if so any, i drive fast but i never abuse or rash drive my car, i do preventive maintenance lift my car in a service center once in 2 months and get all the wheels and caliper checked, by the way i do this because i drive 80 kms a day to be precise and want everything in order this practice make you to keep the car in top notch condition whatever vehicle it is

Our Innova is driven like a baby soft and sweet and only in highways, but with less maintenance, it does give rattles and small niggling issues

so i hope you got it, its how well you maintain and drive is what it depends on, i have also seen horribly maintained 1 year old skoda fab's

If one can do that to a Fab in 1 year he can do that to D90 in 3 months time [:)]

I have driven a indica vista and i am sure it a reliable car and worth the buck, also be aware that indica is the car on indian roads which takes serious abuse by T-boards drivers and still survives long, really long

Make sure you maintain it properly it would easily cross 6 years with ease and you need not worry about it
That makes a lot of sense mate. Thanks a lot. I don't understand why people treat Tata like a Taboo. When I asked for, I haven't got one real reason, other than the ones which is true for any car.

I had same thought as yours three years ago. I am an ex vista owner.

That makes a lot of sense mate. Thanks a lot. I don't understand why people treat Tata like a Taboo. When I asked for, I haven't got one real reason, other than the ones which is true for any car.
Forget or ignore if someone goes biased against the brand or the car, as the car and the company is here to stay and with Safari storme in i am sure , they have taken customers and their words seriously which is good for the market and the customers

I felt indica vista is a better choice than other similar hatchback in space and interiors, when i drove it some months back

I have seen TATA showrooms in my hometown serious about their customers, as a matter of fact they have more customers from rural and semi urban localities, than from the city

All the very best for your purchase in advance [clap]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

car should be fine but have you wondered how you and your car would be treated post sales.
Thanks for the reply brother.
This is what all tata owners told me. The car have one and only one drawback. And that is the response you will get. And just having tata as my choice, I m already facing it.

btw What good is those 90bhp in vista.the car is worst of handler and poorest syeering response
When compared with its competitors (punto 90 hp & I20 1.4)

Good : Cheaper by 1.5L with same specs and features
Bad : That is the purpose of this thread. I dint hear any of those opposers telling anything other than, the name "tata", resale value & long term reliabliliy. And I am not concerned about first two

Regarding handling & steering repsonse, all i know is from reviews i read about the same. This is one car, I have seen reviewers have no complaints on body roll, steering being light and turbolag (though i dont know what it is).

They all have complaints on plastic quality, panel gaps etc... Then each and every car have them. Only difference is, when its from tata, reviewers use the terms "as usual", "as expected" etc... And when its a non tata, terms are like "didnt expect" and so on. At the end of the day, if we buy a tata or non tata we will have these cosmetics problems. I havent seen any ownership reviews of D90, but have seen on punto 90 hp and i20. All have said about rattling issues. Same should be true about Tata.

I just want to know, if not good, is tata bad when compared to others? Is it reliable in long terms?

From "swift&furious" reply, what i understand is that, its how you make out of your car.

New Vista (post Oct 2011) has much better quality , fit and finish. I too agree the original Vista (2008-2011) was pathetic in every sense[frustration].

Same goes with Manza, post Feb 2011(Refresh) models have been better, more with Club Class(Oct 2012).

As a rule,[:D] never buy a TATA car at its launch an be a guinea pig. You should always buy the V2(second version)

I just want to know, if not good, is tata bad when compared to others? Is it reliable in long terms?
From an owner of 2 TATA cars, an honest reply. Do not expect to keep your car for more than 4 -5 years (max) and resale value will be poorer as compared to Maruti or Hyundai.

Thread Starter #11

Just to add to anshuman8 & swift&furious replies;
My company had Indica and Manza as cabs. Former was from some Transport fellow, and if you see the car from outside, he have used it very roughly. there were scratches and dents.
But when you are traveling in it, you will never feel its a car which have taken such a toll. I dint feel any rattling and journey was pleasant.

And Manza; just awesome, simply awesome!!! The space, ride everything.

I have seen your ownership review on punto [:)]

Thread Starter #12
From an owner of 2 TATA cars, an honest reply. Do not expect to keep your car for more than 4 -5 years (max) and resale value will be poorer as compared to Maruti or Hyundai.
Ouch...
I don't think that I will change the car in any near future. I am buying it for family trips. Short (25-30 kms) to long (350 kms)

Can you let me know why shouldn't we expect so?
I was going through the review links you gave. And I think, it all nails to the point swift&furious made, that all those issues will depend on how we care the car irrespective of the brand. What is you opine?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tata cars age faster than Maruti and Hyundai. Also there is a market perception of "low cost" with TATA brand. With these factors resale is poor.
But consider the fact, you buy it cheaper also than its counterparts.

Overall cost of ownership of a TATA car is much lower than Maruti and Hyundai.
Between my immediate family and myself we have owned many Maruti/Hyundai/Tata cars, ownership is lower for Tata as spares and service is much cheaper.

Ultimately car is your baby. The baby will grow up, the way you teach her. If you maintain the car properly, it should not give you any trouble , and it applies to all cars.

Last edited:

Hello eMan,

Vista D90 is a good choice. TASS does treat its premium customers promptly and with care. Myself being an owner of vista aura abs(2011 model Refresh 1) never experienced anything terrible at TASS.
Of course, if you ask to people prior to this model, their experience is completely the opposite way.
Your top most priority is RELIABILTY. I could say, from my experience the car is reliable. But as anshuman8 replied, taking care of the car is your responsibilty. All the best.[:)]

Tata's long term reliability is questionable. It may be VFM for initial few year. After that they will start fall apart.The older it will get,the worst it will be. But for short term it is really nice.

Since you are looking for long term, it may not be ideal choice.

Top Bottom