Expecting To Buy New Petrol Hatchback By June 2013

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Warm greetings to all. Living in Jaipur (scorching heat man!)

Firstly, please allow me to appreciate the TAI community because it is astoundingly informative, fairly unbiased and really helpful for beginners like me.

So, my better half and me have decided to purchase our first brand new hatchback with priority emphasis on cost being "between 3.5 to 4.2lakhs" around mid June 2013. I understand that this range tightens the noose on available options very strictly, but I have to live within that budget until things improve financially. [roll]

My usage is not exactly daily commute for work (and back i.e. total 20Kms), but just about family outings and the occasional 600-700Kms (total) highway trip after around 7-8 months.

Other priorities include (not in any order):
  • Fuel Efficiency
  • Low Maintenance Cost
  • Resale value
  • Possibly a 1000cc engine
  • Comfortable seating interiors (interior looks secondary).
  • Good an reliable air conditioner.

Oh! yes... would love to keep it in good condition for at least 5 or maybe 6 years as it will be one-person drive.

Any particular models I can shortlist as of now?

Thanks.

Re: Expecting to buy a new petrol hatchback in Jaipur before end of June 2013

Hi considering your requirements as you have mentioned I would suggest you could have a look at the Chevy Spark, Maruti Wagon R or the Maruti A star.
The Hyundai Eon is also a good bet in your range however since you have mentioned that you would be interested in a 1000cc vehicle I am not emphasizing that.

As a car in my personal opinion the Eon is a good city run around and is quite spacious on the inside considering its size. But the little 800cc in my opinion is not very smooth and suffers from a lot of vibrations. However I would sincerely advise before you make any confirmed decisions do take a test drive and take a call for yourself which suits your needs the best.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks @ronz_2507 for feedback.

... have a look at the Chevy Spark, Maruti Wagon R or the Maruti A star.
Yeah, I'll check these ones you have pointed out.

...But the little 800cc in my opinion is not very smooth and suffers from a lot of vibrations.
I agree because I've driven Eon and not found it satisfying in those terms you have rightly mentioned.

Can someone please hack down this list to top 3 specific models?
(no CNGs or diesel and within 4.2L max)

• Ford Figo Duratec ZXl
  • Chevrolet Beat 1.2/1.2LS/1.2LT
  • Chevrolet Spark 1.0/1.0PS/1.0LS/1.0LT
  • Honda Brio (EXMT)
  • Hyundai i10 (confusion in choosing model)[confused]
  • Maruti Alto 800 LXi
  • Toyota Etios (confusion in choosing model)[confused]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Topcat in your list of cars which you have mentioned at 4.2 I doubt you could get the figo. Though it is a great handler in my opinion the petrol motor is not very impressive. You could definitely look at the spark ls variant. Brio exmt is absolute barebones model I would stay away as emt or the smt would be advisable. You could also have a look at the i10 era variant it's quite a comfortable car. I am unsure if it would be in the 4.2 lakh price range though. The beat is a great looker (my opinion) but the back seats are not great and the tiny windows give you a feeling of claustrophobia. The etios liva I guess you would be considering the absolute barebones model which also I am doubtful will be in 4.2 lakes I would stay away from that as the interior plastics feel quite cheap and it's glaringly evident the car has been built to a cost.

I would say TD the spark, wagon r, i10 era (1.2) as well as the a star see which best fits your requirement and taste and then take a call [:)]

the brio is apparently good
space is good
the emt is basic neverthless, it fits ur bill
honda is giving free insuarance afaik ..
try the a star , its got the looks in my opinion
brio scores over the fact thaat its a new entrant , decent mileage
and its a honda= reliability

Thread Starter #6
Thanks @ronz_2507 for the insights.

... I doubt you could get the figo. Though it is a great handler in my opinion the petrol motor is not very impressive.]
Oh! I'm quite surprised that Figo's petrol models are not preferred by 'informed' buyers. But, can you please explain a bit more in-depth why its not so impressive?

Honda has excellent engine in its own way, but I have heard about some ground clearance issues. Moreover, resale value of it just doesn't count in. (I'm not saying resale value is the top criteria on the list though)

i10 Era looks good. I've TDed this but didn't find it too impressive in comfort (just my opinion - I can be proven wrong by i10 owners).

Beat is claustrophobic and just out of the question - I agree.

Etios Liva, WagonR and Spark just may have more cons than pros from my point of view though. So they are out for now.

I guess some budget stretch will be needed.[frustration]

There is no ground clearance issue with BRIO. It has same ground clearance as of wagonr, i10 and others. That issue is with higher end cars like CITY.

Go for Ex MT you will get factory fiitted single din music system with front speakers and sound quality is good. Also body color shell type OVRM and body colored handle.

Resale value will be good because it is HONDA [:)]

But off course do take test drive of the car before finalizing[;)].

Thanks @ronz_2507 for the insights.

Oh! I'm quite surprised that Figo's petrol models are not preferred by 'informed' buyers. But, can you please explain a bit more in-depth why its not so impressive?

Honda has excellent engine in its own way, but I have heard about some ground clearance issues. Moreover, resale value of it just doesn't count in. (I'm not saying resale value is the top criteria on the list though)

i10 Era looks good. I've TDed this but didn't find it too impressive in comfort (just my opinion - I can be proven wrong by i10 owners).

Beat is claustrophobic and just out of the question - I agree.

Etios Liva, WagonR and Spark just may have more cons than pros from my point of view though. So they are out for now.

I guess some budget stretch will be needed.[frustration]

Last edited:

Top Bottom