Planning My First Car. Requesting Guidance To Select Best Option.

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

As the thread name suggests, I am on my way to book my first car. I do not have great budget and have locked it at 5lacs, the more I stretch the more financing cost I would have to bear :( (Has planned 4 initially but realized all my need might not be fulfilled in it and did not want to compromise on needs as would ideally like to keep this one for 3-4 years for sure). My basic requirements as per TAI guidelines are posted below.

> Your Budget: 5 Lacs Max (do not want to stretch it significantly)
> New or Used: New
> Your Location: Noida / Ghaziabad
> Top Five Priorities: Fuel Efficiency, Low running Cost, Low Maintenance Cost, Good space, Quick Service
> Monthly Running: 1000Km-1300KM
> Type of Fuel: Not sure, open to Petrol/Diesel/CNG and any combination of them
> For What Purpose: Regular Office Commute, Occasional Highway trip (not more than 2-3 times a quarter)
> Seating Capacity: Ideally 2 but should be comfortable for 4 (All adult and well built and good height :) )
> Type of Segment: Hatchback, I would love a Sedan but it won't come in this budget

I think Petrol/CNG would be ideal for my needs and Wagon R seems to be a good fit. However I am option to all options in terms of fuels and cars and through the help of valuable feedback I receive I shall make my decision.

I think it might help that I majorly would be using it around NCR but would have to make occasional vacation trip to nearby hills and pay visits to my relatives in Rajasthan and would like to keep this factor in consideration

I know I might not have posted all details I have in my mind and what you might need but I believe through this forum all would eventually come out and final decision would be met.

Request your suggestion and help guys.

Fingers Crossed and Excited !!!!

Hi, went through your specification twice and the only car that I can think of which would fulfill your requirements is Chevrolet Beat Diesel PS (or possibly LS if you can bargain hard).

Would have diesel, within your budget and minimum niggles given 3 years cashless ownership. PS should come within Rs. 5 lakh on road (but please do check with the dealer).

Thread Starter #3
Hi Chayan,

Thanks for your time and inputs. Surely will check out the two versions and their OTR. They are definitely among my top 5 cars in list, the important thing to look would be their OTR post any offers (which is very likely in the present market conditions).

One concern though, isn't back seat leg space comparatively less in Beat when compared to i10, sail U-Va or a Wagon r?

What are you thoughts on Wagon R (LXI CNG and VXI) given they more or less meet requirements?

The cars which will tick the checkbox are :

1. VistaD75
2. Figo
3. Beat D

All base versions. I hope you take TD of each one and then decide.

I feel wagonR CNG will be good for you. However slightly if you can stretch your budget get AMAZE IVTEC [:)]. Brio is also good if you don't have problem with 175 ltrs of boot space against 200 odds of competitors and it is well with in your budget[clap].

@envy

Yes, WagonR CNG is the best bet for you. Which is fairly comfortable for four with nice legroom and head room and look airy. Easy on packet and excellent FE and also suitable for occasional Highway drives too and Maruti back up wherever you go. I have a friend in Delhi and who owns one and is pretty happy with the car.

My next options are
1.Sail UVA with excellent space and great warranty
2. Brio really peppy and reliable Honda car
3. Amaze ivtec
4. Estilo CNG(it is as good as wagonR and you get more discounts on it)

Only one recommendation:
Hyundai i10 1.2 kappa2 sportz

Will fit all your requirements and for places like Noida/Gzb it makes for a fantastic choice with feather light handling and enough power available on tap for sudden bursts or highway drives. In my views, no other car scores higher than i10 kappa looking at your criteria.

I prefer recommending only one at a time and my recommendation is i10 and only i10.

Hi Chayan,

Thanks for your time and inputs. Surely will check out the two versions and their OTR. They are definitely among my top 5 cars in list, the important thing to look would be their OTR post any offers (which is very likely in the present market conditions).

One concern though, isn't back seat leg space comparatively less in Beat when compared to i10, sail U-Va or a Wagon r?

What are you thoughts on Wagon R (LXI CNG and VXI) given they more or less meet requirements?
Wagon R is a good car but typically 1 segment lower than the cars you had listed in the first post. Its petrol and a little boxy to my taste (less boxy than earlier version but still boxy).
CNG is a good option since you are in Delhi, but would further decrease your range/limited boot space.

Yes, Beat's back seat is a little cramp compared to something like Figo etc. but I think its comparable to i10. But Beat beats these in cost and fuel efficiency and the fact that its a Diesel. All other in your price comparison are Petrol which are typically 20-25% less efficient than comparable Diesel engines. Also try the Vista D (if space is your criteria) and trust me TATA has improved a lot in the last couple of years.

You have two good options
1.Chevy beat
2. Ford Figo
Chevy beat comes with a comprehensive service warranty package and figo lower end diesel or middle variant petrol gives you a good value for money package with spacious interiors.

1300 km/month , The gap in diesel -petrol prices narrowing day by day., don't go for diesel.
LPG is most suitable fuel cost wise for 1300 km running if not available then it has to be petrol.

What's the condition of the roads you frequent? Does it demand good GC.?

What is the driver's and rear bencher's height.?

Do you have past experience of driving cars if yes then which ?

Thread Starter #12
The cars which will tick the checkbox are :

1. VistaD75
2. Figo
3. Beat D

All base versions. I hope you take TD of each one and then decide.
Thanks for your suggestions, Vista is definitely one of the top contenders but little skeptic about Tata's image with delivering vehicle which has issue. Do not want to land up in situation where I have to run around them.

Figo space is great and since I am not too keen on diesel, I think it's not a positive option for me given poor mileage and feedback related to Figo's petrol versions.

Beat as I said would look for offers and do and TD and then make a decision.

I feel wagonR CNG will be good for you. However slightly if you can stretch your budget get AMAZE IVTEC [:)]. Brio is also good if you don't have problem with 175 ltrs of boot space against 200 odds of competitors and it is well with in your budget[clap].
Amaze is Amazing from what I hear but would not be very keen on it since I would really like to tick to my budget as once start increasing my budget, I might be tempted to increase it further and further :)

@envy

Yes, WagonR CNG is the best bet for you. Which is fairly comfortable for four with nice legroom and head room and look airy. Easy on packet and excellent FE and also suitable for occasional Highway drives too and Maruti back up wherever you go. I have a friend in Delhi and who owns one and is pretty happy with the car.

My next options are
1.Sail UVA with excellent space and great warranty
2. Brio really peppy and reliable Honda car
3. Amaze ivtec
4. Estilo CNG(it is as good as wagonR and you get more discounts on it)
Thanks for your inputs. My family is keen on Wagon R since couple of them would have to sit on back side and it's airy structure excites them and moreover with CNG variant FE there is no CNG vehicle in competition in performance

Only one recommendation:
Hyundai i10 1.2 kappa2 sportz

Will fit all your requirements and for places like Noida/Gzb it makes for a fantastic choice with feather light handling and enough power available on tap for sudden bursts or highway drives. In my views, no other car scores higher than i10 kappa looking at your criteria.

I prefer recommending only one at a time and my recommendation is i10 and only i10.
Done a TD for it and loved it but believe they are charging a good premium for standard features which I can get in more competitive rates from other brands.

Please check the link
Dear Sir, can you please suggest me which is the best car

http://www.********.com/forum/hatchbacks/108492-honda-brio-vs-hyundai-i10.html
and also on various forums comparison can be checked.

BRIO is much superior than i10 any day[clap]. But off-course do take test drive to find out.
Will surely do a Brio TD since it has come highly recommended by many, till date havn't given it serious thoughts doubting it's capability

CNG is a worst fuel AFA driving pleasure is concerned.

For tall well built adult backbenchers wagonr is a definite temptation but when fully ladden driver would cry for more power if it is CNG.
In this case think of ritz P also.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Wagon R is a good car but typically 1 segment lower than the cars you had listed in the first post. Its petrol and a little boxy to my taste (less boxy than earlier version but still boxy).
CNG is a good option since you are in Delhi, but would further decrease your range/limited boot space.

Yes, Beat's back seat is a little cramp compared to something like Figo etc. but I think its comparable to i10. But Beat beats these in cost and fuel efficiency and the fact that its a Diesel. All other in your price comparison are Petrol which are typically 20-25% less efficient than comparable Diesel engines. Also try the Vista D (if space is your criteria) and trust me TATA has improved a lot in the last couple of years.
I really did not list out any specific car in my first post, I would really need inputs from member and go down the wire to finalize one. I am little inclined on CNG as my running cost would be really less and for same I do not have to put in much more money like for a diesel upgrade. Also the gap between Diesel and Petrol narrowing I feel more safe with CNG. Boot-space is the only matter to be evaluated.

You points on Beat are absolutely correct and worth a close evolution and TD of it, the only major problem i see is with leg space in back seats as all my family members are above average in height.

You have two good options
1.Chevy beat
2. Ford Figo
Chevy beat comes with a comprehensive service warranty package and figo lower end diesel or middle variant petrol gives you a good value for money package with spacious interiors.
Reasons for my non-attractiveness towards figo has been listed in my earlier post. One more reason as you mentioned for Beat positive points i.e. low maintenance cost

1300 km/month , The gap in diesel -petrol prices narrowing day by day., don't go for diesel.
LPG is most suitable fuel cost wise for 1300 km running if not available then it has to be petrol.

What's the condition of the roads you frequent? Does it demand good GC.?

What is the driver's and rear bencher's height.?

Do you have past experience of driving cars if yes then which ?
Diesel, will not for - almost certain. Being in Delhi and planning to be here for long, I believe CNG would be better choice than LPG as highway runs would also be limited and can be managed in Petrol mode.

The road conditions are excellent but at many a point bumper to bumper traffic has to be driven through. Both drive and co-passengers are above average with me and my dad being 6+ :) . I know driving but with no particular car, it has been occasional and for shorter duration. This would be our first car and my first sole driving experience.

Please suggest

Thread Starter #15
CNG is a worst fuel AFA driving pleasure is concerned.
I can guess and see that but for me if I am able to save 5Rs/KM by running in this mode, I think it's worth it [;)]

Moreover I would really not be experimenting or sprinting with vehicle initially at least as this would be my first 4 wheeler and I would be driving on sole basis starting with this only.

Top Bottom