Need Suggestions On Buying Used Ford Ikon Flair (2004)

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Ive been an avid user of maruti cars for the past 20 years. Owned 6 Zens over these years and now hold a Zen, an Eeco and a Nano.

I have never bought a 2nd hand car before and lack experience in that avenue.

Im planning to buy a used Ford Icon, Flair, 2004 Model, Petrol, Driven 46,000 Kms, 2nd owner.

I inspected the vehicle and the body seems decent and newish. Its still got the orginal factory paint. But for small parking scratches etc on the bumpers theres nothing i can see obviously wrong with the body.

I have no experience with Fords and want to ask all of you of if this is a reasonable buy at the final negotiated price of Rs.1.05 lac.

The vehicle seemed ok to drive. Smooth engine. One touch start. But i could only drive it at 10kmph inside an apartment because of heavy traffic on the outside being unsuitable for a test drive. The brake pedal was extremely hard. I mean it would'nt depress and had a wooden grip feel which makes it feel as if your driving without any brake drums/shoes. Theres no grip. It just slides and then slows down without a firm immediate response. The owner says its just a problem with the brake oil flow and he will get this fixed before delivery if im taking the car.

I also asked a local prominent brand service station if they will do a bumper to bumper check/opinion on the vehicle before i buy it and they agreed.

Now this vehicle will primarily be used by my wife who is a first time driver and has just learned to drive. We were on the lookout for a car within a lac for her since our other cars are all in brand new condition and have all done lesser than 3000kms but for my Zen.

What are your opinions on this scenario ? Your suggestions would help me a lot in my decision.

Thanks

Re: Need suggestions on buying 2nd hand Ford Icon Flair, 1.3, Flair, 2004 Model.

Nothing wrong in buying an used Ford except for the cost of spares. They cost bomb specially for phased out models like Ikon. e.g. Shock absorbers replacement and overhaul costs 40K.

I would suggest you to stick to Maruti/Hyundai for used cars as spares are cheaper for them and you get spares in market also.

IMO, Nano should be the ideal car to learn driving/new driver. It is small and easy to handle.

Thread Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I think i will dump the Ford Ikon idea. Ive been hearing they are very exensive and mostly troublesome but for a few lucky ones. From the beginning i was tuned to a maruti. There are some pretty good conditioned Maruti 800s etc. What do you feel about an 800/Santro to just learn driving for a ladyand then give away ? Would those also be good options ?

If its a Maruti 800/Wagon R/Alto etc, how old a car is ok to take ? upto 2000 model is a safe bet ?

What about Hyundai Accent, how far back a model is safe to go for ? Upto 2000 again ?

Thanks

Hahahahaha @Plainman, never try to touch that car, it will eat you away with spares and for FE you need to carry a petrol tank with you.

About other cars which you have mentioned if the the model of 2000 year then just waste of time as they will just expire with the pollution norms and all new age cars after year 2005-6 have better engines and better performance, so that is not advisable

Hi Guys,

Ive been an avid user of maruti cars for the past 20 years. Owned 6 Zens over these years and now hold a Zen, an Eeco and a Nano.

I have never bought a 2nd hand car before and lack experience in that avenue.

Im planning to buy a used Ford Icon, Flair, 2004 Model, Petrol, Driven 46,000 Kms, 2nd owner.

I inspected the vehicle and the body seems decent and newish. Its still got the orginal factory paint. But for small parking scratches etc on the bumpers theres nothing i can see obviously wrong with the body.

I have no experience with Fords and want to ask all of you of if this is a reasonable buy at the final negotiated price of Rs.1.05 lac.

The vehicle seemed ok to drive. Smooth engine. One touch start. But i could only drive it at 10kmph inside an apartment because of heavy traffic on the outside being unsuitable for a test drive. The brake pedal was extremely hard. I mean it would'nt depress and had a wooden grip feel which makes it feel as if your driving without any brake drums/shoes. Theres no grip. It just slides and then slows down without a firm immediate response. The owner says its just a problem with the brake oil flow and he will get this fixed before delivery if im taking the car.

I also asked a local prominent brand service station if they will do a bumper to bumper check/opinion on the vehicle before i buy it and they agreed.

Now this vehicle will primarily be used by my wife who is a first time driver and has just learned to drive. We were on the lookout for a car within a lac for her since our other cars are all in brand new condition and have all done lesser than 3000kms but for my Zen.

What are your opinions on this scenario ? Your suggestions would help me a lot in my decision.

Thanks
First of all,if your wife is a first time driver than why do u want to give her sedan that too ford icon which was already phased out.Though i am also having Ford Fiesta still cost of spare is high compare to maruti or hyundai but with respect to handling no one is near to ford.So think wisely before investing[embarass]

@Gurulla"Hahahahaha ,never try to touch that car, it will eat you away with spares and for FE you need to carry a petrol tank with you.Love your comments regarding carry of petrol tank.LOL[lol]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
I have been more inclined to the Maruti family since ive owned only those and currently also own 2 Marutis and a Nano. Ive decided not to even touch the Ikons with a stick if it came to that. They are pretty apparently gas guzzlers. Its also quite a heavy vehicle for a first timer to maneuver.

She doesnt want to risk taking the Nano because its sparkling new and we took delivery only 4 months back approx.

Gurrala > Looks like ill have to have a Bunk Machine installed on the rear and leave the gun on in the tank as we drive it around. Like that TVC that showed up recently.[:)]

Last edited:
i suggest not 2 go for used ford cars, they have very high maintenance cost, even a AC repair for ford icon can cost you 70k [frustration]. u can get a good condition hyundai or maruti car for almost same price even tata cars are also good in maintenance cost.

@plainman, where are you based ?

Maruti 800/Alto/ Santro is a good idea. If possible try to get an automatic Santro. A bit of fuel guzzler (<10 kmpl) but it is a very good car for newbie.

Else you can pick up Maruti 800/Alto maybe 5-7 year old models.

I still think your wife should try her hands in the Nano. It is simple to drive, park and handle. May be she tries in open roads/fields first and later on proper roads.

All the best,
Anshuman

First time driving and learning stage, then

Just get a M800 5 to 6 years back will be very easy on packet and also while driving and learning. Nothing really beat that car still for first timers. Alto/Santro are good cars but they are little more responsive for first timers, so they end up halting the engine frequently or hitting some body ahead[lol]

Yes, we had an Ikon petrol and which has shown us the hell on earth[lol] and one more beauty of it is lot of claustrophobic feel and complete blind visibility of the rear. I really wonder that how people called it as a "josh machine"

Thread Starter #10
We found a 2005 model M800 which was in OK condition. The front bumper etc isnt perfectly aligned etc. But then im a perfectionist and have maintained my vehicles with immense difficulty. I remember replacing bumpers and doors to brand new ones because the original got a small dent in it and i didnt wanta tinkered door. My 10 year old zen looks just like it rolled out of the showroom till date. So maybe i cannot be appeased easily.

He's asking for 1.15 lac for the car. But might come down to about 1.05.
Would it be ok to buy ? Its not a 5 speed car. This is the 4 speed version.

We could hardly find a good Wagon R of 2005 or later within 1.3 lacs etc. Also the other honda city cars etc were qouted much more than what some of our friends here have mentioned. But maybe they pitch high to start with. But the honda city is a large car and my wife might definitely meet with some small scratches or maybe worse and replacements would cost much more than a maruti, so thats one thing to keep in mind.

Also i have another doubt. Many of the cars are all with open TO papers. Meaning the seller has got the TO signed by the previous owner and has been happily using it without implementing the name transfer for god know how long and its hard to tell transpired during that tenure. And i found this to be the case with 7 out of 10 cars. Any opinions on this please ?

Thanks

Thread Starter #11
Sorry but i have to add, i also found an impeccable condition 2002 lancer. Its been maintained by a guy that loves cars obviously since i had a chat with him. Hes quoted about 1.75 lacs. Its black and the body is perfect. The engine compartment looks clean and well maintained too. Single owner. brand new battery etc etc.

Beware of the open TO papers. Check with original owner / RTO before buying such car. They can be stolen vehicles also.

1. The M800 2005 @ 1.05 lac seems to be a bit high. Try to make it 90K.

2. Again Lancer as an used car it would difficult to procure and costly spares. Also would a newbie be comfortable driving a Lancer?

You did not disclose your location so prices of cars depend lot on that.

Thread Starter #13
We are in Chennai City.

Yes the lancer though very tempting will not suit the current requirement as a learning car. Getting it for me will be a moot point as then ill have 3 cars standing here and i need to run them all often. Spending time for each and every car in terms of maintenance and its already becoming too much for me. Especially since im too particular about too many small details.

We are still on the hunt and unable to procure the right vehicle.

Its a big NO for a used Ford ikon/ Lancer for your requirements, if your requirement was different and if you had really found a gem of Lancer/ikon you could have gone for it, by the way a gem is hard to find and if found their prices would be fairly high for a prospective buyer

I would suggest a used wagon R or santro for your current requirement as mentioned above and they are really easy to drive and you can find a older model of wagonR/santro for your budget and they are very less on pockets than the cars you are actually looking out now

Thread Starter #15
Hi guys,

Yes the Lancer etc would be impractical.
But we are finding it very hard to find a decent Wagon R / Santro / M 800 within a budget of 1.2 lacs. All the vehicles seem banged up and with the door trim panels not even fitting on. Warped. The dashboard looks like a grisly bear used the car as temporary accomodation. Scratched, Gnawed, Warped and what not. :(

Top Bottom