Petrol or Diesel Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

I am in a big dilemma whether to go for a petrol or a diesel car. At present I use an alto and my monthly usage is 900-1000 km in average with long drives once in a quarter. I am looking forward for Ford ecosport and my budget is max of 9.50 lakh.
Reason why i chose Ecosport was the tall stance, Sporty look, Mini Suv image,Ford's Ride and handling, also we are 4 in our family and also the budget. This is my first car and I am really looking forward to it to be the best choice and I am planning to have this car for 5-7 years. Please suggest whether to go for petrol or diesel based on my current usage.[confused]

Thanks and Regards,
Vicky90

If your usage is less than 1000 km per month and you plan to keep the car more than 5 years, stick to petrol. The retail prices between diesel and petrol are closing in, hence it would not be wise to invest more for a diesel car.

ES will be good choice for you. All the best.

I guess Ecosport will be a great buy. You are in the perfect situation where you can choose either a petrol or diesel given a monthly running of 1k. I would advise as its going to be your first car, test drive both petrol and diesel when it gets launched and see for yourself which one are you comfortable with. As going with the price difference, on the long run both will come out to be equal as Diesel's have higher initial investments but low running costs and petrol will have lower initial investment and higher running costs. Over a period they do get nullified.
I still feel you would be better off with a Petrol. Do check out the new Ecoboost engine on the Ecosport. From what they claim, its supposed to be fuel efficient too.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks anushman and Gm88 .. Also the closing gap between petrol and diesel is making me more inclined towards gasoline but my rough calculations showed that buying diesel will be profitable if I choose to have my car for around 5 years coupled with the resale value. Need your continued suggestions friends ..

i suggest to go for diesel as diesel is engine is more efficient. while for less driving (1000 km ) if u buy a diesel then i am sure that u r monthly running will increase, as my increase when i move to swift dzire diesel from santro as a result of less running cost.

Thanks anushman and Gm88 .. Also the closing gap between petrol and diesel is making me more inclined towards gasoline but my rough calculations showed that buying diesel will be profitable if I choose to have my car for around 5 years coupled with the resale value. Need your continued suggestions friends ..
Your calculation should boil down to model specific. When you have TDed and shortlisted models then you see OTR price diff between P/D versions.
Maybe you update with your preferred cars with OTR figures.

Thread Starter #7
Your calculation should boil down to model specific. When you have TDed and shortlisted models then you see OTR price diff between P/D versions.
Maybe you update with your preferred cars with OTR figures.
The models I consider are as below :
VW Polo Highline- Everything keeps me going for it except the rear legroom coupled with low seating and horror stories about the ASS of VW.[frustration]
Renault Duster 85 ps Rxl - Way out of my budget
Ecosport Titanium 1.5 Tivct / Trend 1.5 Durotorq - Ticks all the right boxes for me with fingers crossed for the pricing. [drive] and as I told anything upto 9.40 lakh is ok for me .

The models I consider are as below :
VW Polo Highline- Everything keeps me going for it except the rear legroom coupled with low seating and horror stories about the ASS of VW.[frustration]
Renault Duster 85 ps Rxl - Way out of my budget
Ecosport Titanium 1.5 Tivct / Trend 1.5 Durotorq - Ticks all the right boxes for me with fingers crossed for the pricing. [drive] and as I told anything upto 9.40 lakh is ok for me .
What is the OTR price difference between Polo P & D.

Ecosport pricing is awaited.

My two cents,

I prefer the Petrol over the diesel car as petrol are always drivers delight than a diesel and also considering your limited run of 1000K/Month - Petrol makes more sense. Eco-Sport should be a better choice however there are many other proven petrol cars in the market. Eco-Sport looks small in real so I would say catch up a test drive and decide on it. I think the booking of Eco-Sport stars tomorrow. HAPPY MOTORING and keep us posted.

i suggest to go for diesel as diesel is engine is more efficient. while for less driving (1000 km ) if u buy a diesel then i am sure that u r monthly running will increase, as my increase when i move to swift dzire diesel from santro as a result of less running cost.
I agree with Praveen on this, mostly it happens to all of us. And my friend petrol prices may seem to be equal to diesel but it may touch the sky anytime after elections.

Thread Starter #12
My two cents,

I prefer the Petrol over the diesel car as petrol are always drivers delight than a diesel and also considering your limited run of 1000K/Month - Petrol makes more sense. Eco-Sport should be a better choice however there are many other proven petrol cars in the market. Eco-Sport looks small in real so I would say catch up a test drive and decide on it. I think the booking of Eco-Sport stars tomorrow. HAPPY MOTORING and keep us posted.

Thank you VivekRj and Bikerboy. Having seen the Ecosport at the display in chennai I got deeply engrossed in it. Moreover, Fords DNA is ride and handling provided this is based on fiesta's B platform I beleive this is gonna be a treat to drive. Anyways I will take a decidion only after a testdrive.
Bikerboy are you sure that bookings start tomorrow? [confused] I dont think so because I made a call to chennai ford yesterday and they said bookings start only in june.:confused:

That is a nice link.

Apart from the pricing/maintenance/running expenses aspect for P/D versions, please test drive both versions for any car for checking drive ability/engine noise/refinement/NVH levels. Then only come to any conclusion.

Top Bottom