Safari Fan May Turn Out Sedan-ish (Amaze vs Dzire)

Thread Starter #1
As 99% indians say, I'm a die hard safari fan too, right from childhood. But pretty much disappointed with Storme, a product which is no different from existing safari except the fact that it is refined which in any case should have been already, with a price tag of almost 1.5l extra didn't seem to be a wise choice to me. All other SUVs were out of my budget bracket hence have to degrade to sedan / hatch.

Options analysed (Only diesel variants) 7- 8l budget: Swift, Figo, Dzire and famous Amaze

Swift: Less boot space, so have to ignore it

Figo: Nice VFM car but no power windows on rear, felt it to be too small (subjective), so have to ignore it

And narrowed down to below ones and did a test drive back to back,

Swift dzire: ZDI was available. Started with a strange experience, SE gave the car with door opened, got in and adjusted seat, released hand brake and kept my foot on the brake. As it was a slope, car moved downwards towards a very busy road and i pressed the brake very hard but nothing happened. After couple of seconds, thought it was a brake failure and momentarily applied hand brake. I was almost pissed off that the maruti guys gave a test drive car with brake failure and was starring at SE. He told it was a normal behaviour of ABS and went on telling that the brakes will be available only if you switch on the engine. S**t i learnt this the hard way.

First impression - engine was very much refined & pretty responsive, NVH levels were very low, interiors were decent (better than most of the cars i have seen). Steering was very light, the foot position was very comfortable for me (don't know why). Rear is comfortable for only two, add one more,it becomes hard for all three. Had difficulty in choosing the variant, LDI - Nothing in that - No power windows, No central / remote locking, No music player. So have to select VDI if am buying as ZDI is beyond my budget.

Honda Amaze: Was in fact skeptical on the interiors from day one. Just went to showroom (Capital honda, near airport) to check if vehicle is available for display. To my suprise the showroom was almost full of Amaze (all variants were on display) but no SE to attend. Five minutes later he came & explained eveything about Amaze, variants, prices etc. One big difference between amaze and dzire is that even the base diesel version of amaze has ABS. Casually asked if a TD vehicle available, he instantaneously told 'yes' and came with the vehicle in no time.

First impression - I was infact surprised looking at interiors, looking better in the flesh than on paper, hence got interested on it suddenly. I drive an i10, seating position of amaze was very low compared to it & dzire for that matter (only top end has height adjustment it seems). NVH levels weren't as refined as dzire, IMO would rate it somewhere between Figo & Beat. Unlike dzire i felt it to be annoying initially but when the pedal is hit harder you get/hear a vroom feeling which is not bad either. It has acres of space and the rear can easily accomodate three. The rear seats and speakers are bit raised due to the aerodynamic design and i felt it hinders the rear visibility a bit.

As i was driving it very slow (bcoz the road was very narrow and was heavily populated) the SE asked me to sit on the rear for a minute and see how it is and he drove on the same road almost at a speed of 90km/h. We were scared big time that he shouldn't hit somebody but ride wise we didn't find it uncomfortable at all because it was very smooth and composed. Had no difficulty in choosing the variant - Base. It has almost all i need - Power windows, central locking, ABS (bonus) etc. Only limitation is colour options - base variant comes with only three colours (white, black, silver).

Quick Comparision:

Exterior - Both are decent looking
Interior - Design wise dzire is lot better, Amaze is not bad as you think (A dual din music player with touch screen would make amaze better. Stock player makes the dash even more ugly).
Quality of materials used - i found both are equally good
Power delivery - I didn't drive amaze on empty roads as i did for dzire. But at lower rpms seemed sluggish (may be ppl who test drove can confirm). Dzire was pure fun
NVH - Dzire is much refined, even though it is a TD vehicle, was as smooth as new. Amaze is bit rough, not sure how it behaves in long run
Space and comfort - Amaze clearly wins
Features - Amaze again. Pure VFM
Pricing (Base model) - I find dzire to be over priced for the given features, Amaze pricing is better
Offers - Not a single discount for both

So conclusion - Highly confused! Why? because of the below questions, would appreciate your help guys!

Amaze:
1. How costly is honda spare / service?
2. Radiator is completely visible on the front like the figo. Seems not well protected, is it a serious issue?

Dzire:
1. I have read there are severe braking issues except ZDI. Is it a fact or myth? This is almost stopping me from going for it

Sorry i did not carry a cam with me, so no pictures [frustration]

Last edited:
Re: Safari fan may turn out sedan-ish (Amaze vs. Dzire)

Hi,
Good to see your post. Even I am looking forward to buy the Amaze and I will watch out for the replies from the fellow members. As you have mentioned Amaze is definitely VFM compared to Dzire with ABS available at the base variant. One thing I love about Amaze is that the boot finish is excellent and does not look it is attached to Brio.

I own a Dzire VDI and never felt that brake issue so far. Heard that was in 2008-2009 period.

I like amaze for ABS even in base version.
I still feel diesel variant may need some changes. May be a better refined engine soon as they getting lots of comments about cabin noise(compared to dzire).

In my opinion, Amaze scores in petrol version.
Diesel - Have to wait and watch. Would love to see honda scoring there too. Maruti should understand the value of safety by loosing out by huge margin.

By the way, I started loving safari from my childhood. Storme disappointed me too with new look.

Thread Starter #4
Re: Safari fan may turn out sedan-ish (Amaze vs. Dzire)

I own a Dzire VDI and never felt that brake issue so far. Heard that was in 2008-2009 period.
Thanks appus for clarifying the brake issue, i was much worried on that point.
I still feel diesel variant may need some changes. May be a better refined engine soon as they getting lots of comments about cabin noise(compared to dzire).
Somewhere i read the engine is made of aluminium and it doesn't damper the vibrations / noise. Hence if they have to refine, they may have to insulate from inside.:stupid:
By the way, I started loving safari from my childhood. Storme disappointed me too with new look
I thought safari would be my first car, unfortunately [frustration]
I think you may be the best person to explain it, in Dzire how well the radiator is protected. In amaze it is clearly peeking out like in Figo. Not sure if it is vulnerable

As you have mentioned Amaze is definitely VFM compared to Dzire with ABS available at the base variant.
Definitely VFM as a product (not sure anyways on spares / service aspect). Price of base models are almost the same, where you will hardly find any feature in dzire. But ZDI clearly wins when compared to top end of amaze
One thing I love about Amaze is that the boot finish is excellent and does not look it is attached to Brio
completely agree with you!

Smk

My vote goes to amaze . But I would also suggest you to take a unbiased look at the Chevy sail sedan .

Thread Starter #8
My vote goes to amaze . But I would also suggest you to take a unbiased look at the Chevy sail sedan .
yes Raja, even i'm very much inclined towards amaze for its features. but following things are worrying me,
1. Engine noise is very evident & irritating to an extent (i rarely hear music while i drive). more worrying factor is how the same will be in long run
2. maintanence - i have no clue of it
3. my family is impressed by dzire

How about Sail maintanence? Any idea? i'll try if i can test drive!

yes Raja, even i'm very much inclined towards amaze for its features. but following things are worrying me,
1. Engine noise is very evident & irritating to an extent (i rarely hear music while i drive). more worrying factor is how the same will be in long run
2. maintanence - i have no clue of it
3. my family is impressed by dzire

How about Sail maintanence? Any idea? i'll try if i can test drive!
The sail comes with the same 1.3 multijet engine tuned much better then what you get I a dezire .

Chevy gives 3 year warranty and 5 year warranty on engine transmission .
The car looks like a proper sedan and is extremely spacious with superb ride quality .

At 8.20 lakhs in Mumbai you get the model with driver side airbag , abs , music system .

I drove the amaze today and surprisingly dint find the car noisy [roll]

Attachments

Thread Starter #10
The sail comes with the same 1.3 multijet engine tuned much better then what you get I a dezire .Chevy gives 3 year warranty and 5 year warranty on engine transmission

I drove the amaze today and surprisingly dint find the car noisy [roll]
I didn't knew it was same fiat engine in sail too. i will try it out. i meant noisy when compared to dzire, even my dad felt the same (he sat on the rear), that is one of the main reason he is hesitant abt amaze. dzire was more like a petrol car, refinement wise (more or less), even the test drive vehicle was awesome.

By the way you own a spark isn't, is it a diesel one, how is chevy service according to you?

That's a nice review buddy and i would say take a TD of sail sedan as well.

And besides that Amaze and Dzire are the contenders to look for.

Brother,go for AmazeD.
Honda never Bluffs they delivers what they Promise.
Dizire is becoming out dated,we cannot trust Maruti they may up grade Dizire with a new model as they know they cannot stand in front of Amaze with recent Dezire for a long period.

I didn't knew it was same fiat engine in sail too. i will try it out. i meant noisy when compared to dzire, even my dad felt the same (he sat on the rear), that is one of the main reason he is hesitant abt amaze. dzire was more like a petrol car, refinement wise (more or less), even the test drive vehicle was awesome.

By the way you own a spark isn't, is it a diesel one, how is chevy service according to you?
Spark comes only in petrol .
I have no problems with the a.s.s so far they quick and prompt in their service . The sail has the same multijet engine which you find in maruti and fiat cars . Infact gm and fiat has co- developed the engine . So unlike maruti gm dosent have to give any kind of royalty to fiat .
Drive that car you will like it .

Thread Starter #15
I own a Dzire VDI and ive never had any problem with the brakes... overall its a very good car
Thanks Tasha for clearing my doubt, thats the only factor that was worrying me

That's a nice review buddy and i would say take a TD of sail sedan as well.
Thanks buddy, for sure i will test drive sail. Not sure how the resale value would be, down the line

Brother,go for AmazeD.
Honda never Bluffs they delivers what they Promise.
Dizire is becoming out dated,we cannot trust Maruti they may up grade Dizire with a new model as they know they cannot stand in front of Amaze with recent Dezire for a long period.
Thanks bro, base model of amaze has got almost all i need. Any idea abt honda maintanence cost?

Regarding waiting period - Dzire is 1 month now and for Swift it is even less. Moreover i speculate there would be some discount for Dzire having amaze as competition now. They have to do something to turn attention, ads alone won't help, lets c.

Top Bottom