Hunt for New / Used Car Begins...

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys, I'll begin with a small prelude for my friends who is not aware of the scenario. A few months ago, before coming to the UK, I had sold off my Punto as I had nobody to take care if it while I am here. Now, I will be coming back to India in September and that warrants the need to begin the search for a new car.

Why am I looking for a car 5 months before I need it?
Well, my sister-n-law just learnt driving and since my other car is an XUV, it is not wise to give her the XUV to drive. The idea is to buy a car which can suit a newbie like her and also is good enough for an enthusiast like me!

Is used car an option?
Definitely. Since she is a newbie, it would be better if we buy a used car, since I dont wanna see scratches and dents on a brand new car. Also, for me, I can get a bigger and better used car than a comparatively smaller new car. Its time for a lateral upgrade from the Punto!

My priorities for the car :

1) Stylish
2) Good interiors
3) Spacious (we are a bunch of tall people in the family!)
4) Adequate features (Powered ORVMs, USB compatible audio and if possible, Auto AC)
5) Adequate performance

Not coming to the most important bit - the car has to be an automatic.

Why an Automatic? Well, it would be easier for my sister-in-law to drive around an A/T, plus A/Ts are more convenient for me considering the dense Mumbai traffic. Since, this wont be out primary car, the running would be very very low, hence fuel efficiency and resale value is not a concern.

Now, I am open to both options - petrol and diesel. I am a huge diesel fan but I am aware that finding a huge diesel A/T is a task, so I am okay with a A/T petrol too. Also, the resale value of a petrol A/T would be pathetic, so chances of finding good cars at dirt cheap prices are more.

Please note that even though the car is primarily to be used within city, long drives once in a while can be possible.

The budget - Not a rupee more than 5 Lacs, maybe 5.5 at the max.

Now the options I have considered are:

New i10 A/T : Would cost be about 6.2 Lacs for the A/T sportz variant. Asta would cost be about 7 Lacs.

Pros: Brand new car, nimble and easier to drive around town, lower maintenance costs.
Cons: Pricey, un-enthusiastic A/T gearbox, tall boy not good for ride and handling, not very spacious (so long trips are out of question), fuel efficiency not good enough for a hatch, no Airbags and ABS in Sportz variant.

Used i10 A/T : Will cost me about 4 to 4.5 Lacs

Pros : Same as above + the fact that I would get a decent car for lesser money.
Cons : Same as above.

Used i20 A/T : Price is about 4.5 to 5.5 Lacs

Pros : Spacious cabin, lots of features, good to drive in city and lower maintenance.
Cons : Again, unresponsive A/T, low fuel efficiency, poor styling (I somehow dont like the way it looks), sloppy steering response and handling and no passenger airbag in Sportz variant.

Used Civic A/T
: Price is about 4.5 to 5.5 Lacs

Pros : Good styling, comfortable seats, spacious, great dashboard, good ride and handling, superb A/T with paddle shifts, i-VTEC technology and refined engine, all safety features like Airbags and ABS and also Auto A/C and powered mirrors standard across variants... all this at a great price!
Cons : Low ground clearance and low set seats. Comparatively more driven and older than a similarly priced used i10 or i20.

I have not considered a used ANHC as it is pricier than used Civics since ANHC was launched in 2009 and you get used Civics of 2006-2008 which cost lesser. Also, A-star A/T is not considered since it is too cramped for us.

Now, I know the choice I have to make is - whether I go for a 2009-2010 manufactured (about 25k driven) used i10 or i20 or should I go for a 2007-2008 manufactured (about 45k driven) used Civic... Other options are also welcome, if it fits the above mentioned criteria.

P.S.: I have seen a Civic V (top end) A/T which has done 44k kms and is a 2008 model. The quoted price is 4.9 Lacs, so essentially it can be bought for about 4.5 Lacs. If we stretch the budget to 5 Lacs, I think we can get cars which are driven for 30000 kms and maybe a 2009 model. I searched across forums and it is mentioned that used Civics are popular in the market and Honda engines which have run for 40k kms is practically a new engine!

Last edited:
Re: Hunt for new/used car begins...

I would suggest you to find a nicely maintained Honda Civic A/T. Being a petrol car, Civic resale value has dropped a bit and A/T box retails at further low price. As for the Hyundai i10 & i20, I am not a fan of its handling and since you would also be getting behind the wheels, Civic seems to be the best available option.

Why am I looking for a car 5 months before I need it?
Well, my sister-n-law just learnt driving and since my other car is an XUV, it is not wise to give her the XUV to drive. The idea is to buy a car which can suit a newbie like her and also is good enough for an enthusiast like me!
Mind says i10 Auto for the ease of handling for a newbie and heart says Civic AT for the sheer brilliance Civic offers. Moreover, since you are used to an SUV so, you'll like driving in a low slung powerful sedan rather than a tallboy i10. [;)]

The budget - Not a rupee more than 5 Lacs, maybe 5.5 at the max.
WOW. Nice budget constraint there.[clap]

My personal choice would be Civic AT as it offers amazingly composed ride, Honda reliability, ease of maintenance, superb interiors (i10 doesn't even come close) and the best of all, these can be had ridiculously cheap.
i never brought i20 into discussion as it's too boring to drive thought has interiors better than i10.

Thread Starter #4

I would suggest you to find a nicely maintained Honda Civic A/T. Being a petrol car, Civic resale value has dropped a bit and A/T box retails at further low price. As for the Hyundai i10 & i20, I am not a fan of its handling and since you would also be getting behind the wheels, Civic seems to be the best available option.
Thank you for your feedback buddy.

WOW. Nice budget constraint there.[clap]
I know the budget is tight but if I spend anything more than 5.5 Lacs, then I am better off buying a new car and not a used car.

My personal choice would be Civic AT as it offers amazingly composed ride, Honda reliability, ease of maintenance, superb interiors (i10 doesn't even come close) and the best of all, these can be had ridiculously cheap.
i never brought i20 into discussion as it's too boring to drive thought has interiors better than i10.
Thank you buddy.

@ all:
As you all know, the Civic is now discontinued. Do you think this will pose any problems with part availability in future? Does the Civic A/T has any known issues as such, especially related to the A/T transmission?

@ all:[/B][/U] As you all know, the Civic is now discontinued. Do you think this will pose any problems with part availability in future? Does the Civic A/T has any known issues as such, especially related to the A/T transmission?
I dont think spare part availability would be an issue for atleast a decade. Look at the First gen Honda city and Accords which are still running with their owners. I knew a guy who had the first gen Accord which was regularly service at HASS without any issue of parts (save for a few ones like tail lamp assembly which arrived after 10 days of complaint, but then the car was 2001 make).
And I assume you wont be keeping the car for more than 3years.

@ all:
As you all know, the Civic is now discontinued. Do you think this will pose any problems with part availability in future? Does the Civic A/T has any known issues as such, especially related to the A/T transmission?
Two words for your hunt - Honda Civic!
Spare parts wont be an issue at all, but buying a used AT comes with it own set of risks depending on the abuse it went through - as you must be aware any problem with the A/T box and you are talking damages in lakhs. Check this aspect very thoroughly!

You rightly said at 40K a civic has hardly run in !

Raj,
Buy original, not from copy cat company.
When they wanted to start a car company, Hyundai guys didn't even put efforts to think of a good name or a logo. They looked around and found the popular brand Honda and tweaked it and made it Hyundai. Try saying Honda aloud with a slight accent and it sounds like hyundai. Then they took the H logo and applied italics on it and made their logo. No imagination. :)

Jokes apart, go for the Civic. No need to worry about spare parts and service. Sales head in my company has a Civic, I think I shud be 2008 or 09 model. It's really good, no issues, no service problems (in bangalore) and I10 or 20 cannot match this.

Raj how about an Astar auto yes the car is small and yes its a little dull to drive (only the auto one) but the plus side is its well within your budget i guess 4.8 l OTR Mumbai and its cheap to fix and the small size does have its advantages for a newbie and cheap to fix in case of dents and dinks coz its a maruti and off course kitna deti hai factor is also covered. Hope this helps else the i10 is a good bet but there are several reports of very poor fuel economy from the i10. I think the i10 auto u might get it OTR 5.8-5.8 l in Mumbai

Hope this helps

Hi Raj,

I would strongly suggest you to go for Honda City/Civic Automatic. You can very well find an used piece 2009-10 for City or 2007-2009 for Civic around 5 lacs in Mumbai.

Hyundai Automatics are known for low fuel efficiency. Even Honda City owners have reported better FE than Hyundai i10.

It is better to find an used car from portals like OLX or Quickr where you get lot of individual ads. Please do not browse Car*.com portals as they are hijacked by dealers.

All the best,

Anshuman

Thread Starter #11
I dont think spare part availability would be an issue for atleast a decade. Look at the First gen Honda city and Accords which are still running with their owners. I knew a guy who had the first gen Accord which was regularly service at HASS without any issue of parts (save for a few ones like tail lamp assembly which arrived after 10 days of complaint, but then the car was 2001 make).
And I assume you wont be keeping the car for more than 3years.
Thank you mate, that's re-assuring.

Two words for your hunt - Honda Civic!
Spare parts wont be an issue at all, but buying a used AT comes with it own set of risks depending on the abuse it went through - as you must be aware any problem with the A/T box and you are talking damages in lakhs. Check this aspect very thoroughly!

You rightly said at 40K a civic has hardly run in !
Well, sorry to say, I have no idea about the problems with the Civic's A/T... can you elaborate please?

Raj,
Buy original, not from copy cat company.
When they wanted to start a car company, Hyundai guys didn't even put efforts to think of a good name or a logo. They looked around and found the popular brand Honda and tweaked it and made it Hyundai. Try saying Honda aloud with a slight accent and it sounds like hyundai. Then they took the H logo and applied italics on it and made their logo. No imagination. :)
Well, I really like some of Hyundai's cars like the new Santa Fe and most of their fluidic designs look great. Infact, I wish to have the new Santa Fe some day.

Raj how about an Astar auto yes the car is small and yes its a little dull to drive (only the auto one) but the plus side is its well within your budget i guess 4.8 l OTR Mumbai and its cheap to fix and the small size does have its advantages for a newbie and cheap to fix in case of dents and dinks coz its a maruti and off course kitna deti hai factor is also covered. Hope this helps else the i10 is a good bet but there are several reports of very poor fuel economy from the i10. I think the i10 auto u might get it OTR 5.8-5.8 l in Mumbai

Hope this helps
As I mentioned above, we are a bunch of tall people. I am 6'2", my brother is 6'3", my sister-in-law is 5'10", my father is 5'11" and my mother is 5'8"... So, we wont really fit in the A-star!

Hi Raj,

I would strongly suggest you to go for Honda City/Civic Automatic. You can very well find an used piece 2009-10 for City or 2007-2009 for Civic around 5 lacs in Mumbai.

Hyundai Automatics are known for low fuel efficiency. Even Honda City owners have reported better FE than Hyundai i10.

It is better to find an used car from portals like OLX or Quickr where you get lot of individual ads. Please do not browse Car*.com portals as they are hijacked by dealers.

All the best,

Anshuman
Apart from the meter tampering scandal, any reason why I should avoid dealers? Sorry, this is my first time in the used car market.

@Raj:

Why dont you consider Brio A/T?
Apart from the fact that a new Brio will cost me about 7 Lacs on road, like the A-star, it is too small for my family. Plus, I think it looks feminine, not something I would like to drive around... no offense to Brio owners.

Well, sorry to say, I have no idea about the problems with the Civic's A/T... can you elaborate please?
oops sorry didnt mean to say it has problems, all i meant is a second hand AT (generally) has to be checked with the double the caution as you would check a manual! AT Boxes are inherently expensive and if it turns out to be a lemon it will cost you a bomb!

Apart from the meter tampering scandal, any reason why I should avoid dealers? Sorry, this is my first time in the used car market.
That is one big deterrent for buying used car from dealers. Often they do not let you check the vehicle by your mechanic or from Service Center. Apart from that they tend to suppress the history of the car, specially if there is anything wrong in it. I saw your posts in another forum and I am sure you can get a good piece with help of members both in TAI and other places.

Good Luck,
Anshuman

Raj,
As Iron Rock and Anshuman mentioned, you have to be extra careful when buying second hand car from a dealer. But don't worry too much, there are enough experienced people here to help you. For example, I know a dealer in Navi Mumbai with whom I and few of my friends have done multiple dealings - buying and selling cars in last 3-4 years. He is reliable, genuine and helpful. I'm sure you can find a reliable dealer in your city also with help from others in the forum.

Thread Starter #15
oops sorry didnt mean to say it has problems, all i meant is a second hand AT (generally) has to be checked with the double the caution as you would check a manual! AT Boxes are inherently expensive and if it turns out to be a lemon it will cost you a bomb!
Oh yes, I will be double careful while checking the cars.

That is one big deterrent for buying used car from dealers. Often they do not let you check the vehicle by your mechanic or from Service Center. Apart from that they tend to suppress the history of the car, specially if there is anything wrong in it. I saw your posts in another forum and I am sure you can get a good piece with help of members both in TAI and other places.

Good Luck,
Anshuman
Thanks for the tip. I will make sure that I will pick a car only after it has been thoroughly tested or/and evaluated by H.A.S.S.

Raj,
As Iron Rock and Anshuman mentioned, you have to be extra careful when buying second hand car from a dealer. But don't worry too much, there are enough experienced people here to help you. For example, I know a dealer in Navi Mumbai with whom I and few of my friends have done multiple dealings - buying and selling cars in last 3-4 years. He is reliable, genuine and helpful. I'm sure you can find a reliable dealer in your city also with help from others in the forum.
Thanks for the help buddy. I'll take the contact details from you once I reach Mumbai.

P.S.: My first choice was a Tata Safari and second choice was Optra Magnum 2.0 diesel. The Optra Magnum was quickly dismissed as I felt it looked too dated.

I have seen some decent examples of Safari for about 5-5.5k. Do you guys think I should have a look at the Safari as well? We have experienced enough Scorpios, so we are not looking at it now. I personally think a 45k driven Honda would be more reliable than a 45k Tata, plus the convenience of A/T in the Honda. But then, the Safari is supremely comfortable, powerful and spacious... wish TATA had an A/T box on offer.

Top Bottom