Chevy Beat vs Toyota Liva vs Ford Figo

Thread Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I am planning to buy a new diesel hatchback once I go back to India. Here are my requirements

1) Good exterior and interior looks
2) Good FE
3) 85% city driving
4) The car should have a good driveability with 100% A.C in city
5) Budget of 5 - 6.5L

After going through extensive reviews, here are my final contenders.

1) Figo
2) Beat
3) Liva

My dad had already owned Toyota Innova and so I know a lot about the Toyota dealers and their A.S.S, but I don't know much about Chevy or Ford.
I am more inclined on buying Beat due to the looks & budget, but I am a little doubtful about the 936 cc engine. Does this have a decent pick up with A.C on? Also anyone had any good or bad experiences with Chevy dealers & A.S.S in Chennai.

Appreciate your feedback and comments.

Figo any time! i love that car it may not be upto the levels of swifts and i20's but its there!!
liva has better looks than figo
Both have inferior interiors
Liva has slightly better mileage
Beat doesnt have a good RESALE value
Figo has powerful engine than Liva

If i were you i would go for FIGO

I vote for Ford Figo, Beat is good one but interiors are cramped. Liva's interiors are too bare bone even after recent refresh version.

Figo is very good to drive and there are many members in the Forum who own and drive Figos. Please go through threads as below :

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/12344-ford-figos-performance.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/12272-ford-figo-1-4-tdci-zxi.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...46-figo-clocked-37k-time-new-shoes-tyres.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s-home-delivery-initial-ownership-review.html

Cheers,
Anshuman

Hello Guys,

I am planning to buy a new diesel hatchback once I go back to India. Here are my requirements

2) Good FE
3) 85% city driving
5) Budget of 5 - 6.5L

1) Figo
2) Beat
3) Liva

My dad had already owned Toyota Innova and so I know a lot about the Toyota dealers and their A.S.S, but I don't know much about Chevy or Ford.
I am more inclined on buying Beat due to the looks & budget, but I am a little doubtful about the 936 cc engine. Does this have a decent pick up with A.C on? Also anyone had any good or bad experiences with Chevy dealers & A.S.S in Chennai.

- Nobody can decide what will look good to you. You have to decide it yourself.
2) Good FE - All three cars will give similar fuel efficiency figures if driven in the same manner in similar traffic conditions over the same distance. Okay, the Beat will give you a couple of kmpl more.
3) 85% city driving
- Figo. Great visibility for city driving and zero turbo lag.
- Beat has the best driveability in the city but it suffers from terrible external visibility. However, 100% AC turns the table in favour of the Figo.
5) Budget of 5 - 6.5L
- Figo ZXi TDCI.

Other points:
1. Ford After Sales - Hit or miss affair.
2. Toyota After Sales - Good.
3. Chevrolet After Sales - Mediocre but you get 3 years free maintainence promise. Worth considering if you plan to sell the car after 3 years.
4. Best car to drive - Figo.
5. Most spacious and comfortable - Liva.
6. Most fuel efficient - See above.
7. Most fuss free ownership - Liva.
8. Most reliable - Toyota has more perceived reliability.
9. Most value for money - Figo.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks to all for your feedback.

Sam, Thanks for listing all the points in detail.

Compared to Figo and Liva.. which of them has a good resale value? Does resale value really matter if I plan to keep the car for 3 years
I understand that Figo is VFM, but I see that owners have faced some issues with respect to A.S.S.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Also want to add my thoughts on these cars and the reasons for which I have shortlisted.

1) Beat
Good looks.
Falls within budget.
Good interior quality
Best FE
Bad boot space..Can 60:40 rear split compensate for this?
Less interior space.
Resale value after 3 years?
A.S.S ?

2)Figo
Good engine
Comparatively good interior space
Exterior looks is not so good and outdated.
Lesser FE
Resale value after 3 years?
A.S.S ?

3)Liva
Good Engine
Good interior space..
Not so bad exterior looks.
Cheap interiors.
Expensive than Figo and Beat
Good FE
Toyota A.S.S and fuss free ownership.
Resale value after 3 years??

Also the car will be used by 2 adults and one child.
Daily running of 30-40 kms in chennai city with AC. Very rare highway driving will be involved. (Does the diesel option makes sense. I have read other topics in this forum for this issue and looks like I should also consider petrol variants). What you think guys?

Ah! The eternal battle between diesel and petrol.

Please go through this link:

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/11919-new-ritz-petrol-vs-diesel-comparison.html#post265649

And just dont bother about resale. A 3 year old Figo or Liva will depreciate equally.

As I had said earlier, Ford After sales is a hit ot a miss.
If after sales is your main concern, blindly go for the Liva.

Hello Guys,

2) Good FE
3) 85% city driving
5) Budget of 5 - 6.5L

1) Figo
2) Beat
3) Liva

Some points noted even though I have n't tried my hands on none of these three [Figo except 5 KM test drive, Beat, 2 hours drive in the night from Dindigul to Trichy]

Ford has GC issue.
Liva, in the name of cost cutting Toyota has did lot of blenders to my knowledge. I have literally seen how the front bumper was torned like a paper [the thickness also very bad] and the guy stick it the same as if he is sticking it with glue.

As Sam mentioned, to my knowledge resale value is very less [But a diesel ride will fetch you good amount] and visibility [I think all chevy is like that, even my sparky has visibility problem. A Pillar blocks a lot. last week I would have hit a old man just because of this problem. if the road is dark this problem will arise frequently.

Have a look at HONDA AMAZE too.. [:)]
Please. dont miss this one. I have even suggested my friend to have a look at Honda amaze. You might need to extend your budget little more. but am sure it will be worth extending it.

- Nobody can decide what will look good to you. You have to decide it yourself.
2) Good FE - All three cars will give similar fuel efficiency figures if driven in the same manner in similar traffic conditions over the same distance. Okay, the Beat will give you a couple of kmpl more.
3) 85% city driving
- Figo. Great visibility for city driving and zero turbo lag.
- Beat has the best driveability in the city but it suffers from terrible external visibility. However, 100% AC turns the table in favour of the Figo.
5) Budget of 5 - 6.5L
- Figo ZXi TDCI.

Other points:
1. Ford After Sales - Hit or miss affair.
2. Toyota After Sales - Good.
3. Chevrolet After Sales - Mediocre but you get 3 years free maintainence promise. Worth considering if you plan to sell the car after 3 years.
4. Best car to drive - Figo.
5. Most spacious and comfortable - Liva.
6. Most fuel efficient - See above.
7. Most fuss free ownership - Liva.
8. Most reliable - Toyota has more perceived reliability.
9. Most value for money - Figo.
Nicely put together Sam.

Also want to add my thoughts on these cars and the reasons for which I have shortlisted.

Resale value after 3 years??

Also the car will be used by 2 adults and one child.
Daily running of 30-40 kms in chennai city with AC. Very rare highway driving will be involved. (Does the diesel option makes sense. I have read other topics in this forum for this issue and looks like I should also consider petrol variants). What you think guys?
Seems you are most concerned about Resale Value, which is barely considerable IMO. Are you sure that you will not use this car for more than 3 years? If you are more than 100% sure, you make sense to think about it. However, in today's market scenario and in the number of new models coming in invariably, Resale Value is quite a debatable point.

To my knowledge, Suzuki cars have the better resale value in India, provided you will compromise yourself in various other factors like space, features etc. (No offence meant to Suzuki owners please... Just my personal opinion). But would one want to think of the value, which is uncertain for now and compromise on other important factors and the things that you would enjoy until you own it??? Big question and would vary with each individual's perspective.

Here is my pick on the choices you have.

Figo
  • Best: Best VFM in the lot, Space, Ride & Handling, Good Features, Respectable Design, Proven Engine, Best for City (Negligible Turbo Lag), Decent FE, Ford's DNA as Driver's Car.
  • Worst: Missing Rear Power Windows, MID & Beige Interiors.

Beat
  • Best: Fresh Design & Styling, Small Car - Good for City, Trendy Cockpit, FE
  • Cons: Lesser Engine Capacity in the Lot, Space.

Liva
  • Best: Space, ASS, FE
  • Worst: Interiors and Cost Cutting Measures are evident everywhere.

And my choice would be Figo or Beat.

Hi Venky

Liva looks a better option for you if can satisfy with interiors where you get
Efficient Engine,Enormous space,No headaches w/o much maintenance .
You can easily go upto 2lac KMs on Toyota and Honda cars.for sure you will get good resale value when compared to other two.

I would also suggest Swift except they are hundreds on roads.
Also Consider the Amaze its a Honda for sure this will be a Gem in its Segment.

Thread Starter #13
Nicely put together Sam.

Seems you are most concerned about Resale Value, which is barely considerable IMO. Are you sure that you will not use this car for more than 3 years? If you are more than 100% sure, you make sense to think about it. However, in today's market scenario and in the number of new models coming in invariably, Resale Value is quite a debatable point.

To my knowledge, Suzuki cars have the better resale value in India, provided you will compromise yourself in various other factors like space, features etc. (No offence meant to Suzuki owners please... Just my personal opinion). But would one want to think of the value, which is uncertain for now and compromise on other important factors and the things that you would enjoy until you own it??? Big question and would vary with each individual's perspective.

Here is my pick on the choices you have.

Figo
  • Best: Best VFM in the lot, Space, Ride & Handling, Good Features, Respectable Design, Proven Engine, Best for City (Negligible Turbo Lag), Decent FE, Ford's DNA as Driver's Car.
  • Worst: Missing Rear Power Windows, MID & Beige Interiors.

Beat
  • Best: Fresh Design & Styling, Small Car - Good for City, Trendy Cockpit, FE
  • Cons: Lesser Engine Capacity in the Lot, Space.

Liva
  • Best: Space, ASS, FE
  • Worst: Interiors and Cost Cutting Measures are evident everywhere.

And my choice would be Figo or Beat.
Thanks Figoian..

Thread Starter #14
Hi Venky

Liva looks a better option for you if can satisfy with interiors where you get
Efficient Engine,Enormous space,No headaches w/o much maintenance .
You can easily go upto 2lac KMs on Toyota and Honda cars.for sure you will get good resale value when compared to other two.

I would also suggest Swift except they are hundreds on roads.
Also Consider the Amaze its a Honda for sure this will be a Gem in its Segment.
Thanks Fahad... I agree with you..you compromise something and you really get the Toyota reliance...

Also Honda Amaze is something I am considering..Only the base variant is fitting in my budget...Let me see what are the features missing in the base varant and I will include Amaze in my list.

Top Bottom