New Car Dilemma (Under Rs.5.5 Lacs)

Thread Starter #1
Hello to all. My parents would be buying their first car this may. So i need a little help deciding the vehicle.

> Your Budget: Rs. 5-5.5 lakhs

> New or Used: New

> Your Location: New Delhi

> Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Fuel Efficiency, Low Maintenance, Design

> Monthly Running: between 500-700kms(max)

> Type of Fuel: Not Decided yet

> For What Purpose: Regular use(city driving)

> Seating Capacity: should seat 4 comfortably

> Type of Segment: Not decided yet

the primary confusion is between Maruti swift(lxi or vxi), ford figo(diesel lxi) and the newly launched chevrolet sail saloon(base version). Also by looking at the running per month, should we buy petrol or diesel?

Hello to all. My parents would be buying their first car this may. So i need a little help deciding the vehicle.

> Your Budget: Rs. 5-5.5 lakhs

> New or Used: New

> Your Location: New Delhi

> Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Fuel Efficiency, Low Maintenance, Design

> Monthly Running: between 500-700kms(max)

> Type of Fuel: Not Decided yet

> For What Purpose: Regular use(city driving)

> Seating Capacity: should seat 4 comfortably

> Type of Segment: Not decided yet

the primary confusion is between Maruti swift(lxi or vxi), ford figo(diesel lxi) and the newly launched chevrolet sail saloon(base version). Also by looking at the running per month, should we buy petrol or diesel?
Hi rahul,

Welcome to TAI !

I think within 5.5 lacs there are a lot of choices which you can make. Also monthly running less than 1000-1500 km at least does not warrant for diesel car.

You can go for following cars :

Wagon R (Ingress will be easy)
Ritz P (VXI/ZXI)
Swift (VXI/ZXI)
Beat P
Sail UVA
i10
i20
Vista D
Figo P/D

All of these cars will be less than 5.5 lacs.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.... :)

@anshuman: wagonr, ritz beat and vista are out(looks not appealing to my parents though I personally love beat's styling.. i20 would be slightly out of budget out only the base variant would be available(barely).. Between the rest, swift is the most attractive one (joint opinion ;)

@manish: bro I love brio's looks but my parents don't like its back.. Also I'm a little sceptical about the safety as its a glass back(industrial toughened whatever)..

@threeace: amaze not available anywhere nearby yet.. And it will also be over my budget..

Will start tds soon.. One more thing.. I've read a lot about this breaking issue in swift low and middle variants.. any news on that front?

Welcome to TAI friend!!

Looking at requirements a petrol one will fit well and within that budget I suggest you to check Sail UVA which comes with 3 year warranty [:)]

Welcome to TAI, buddy.

Since Brio has been ruled out, i would say, opt for Chevi's relaunched new baby, the Sail UVA.

On second note, Amaze would be out in the market from 11th of this month. So do check it out. Worth it. [;)]

Upto 1000kms, petrol would be ideal.

No brainer you should go for petrol car. I am surprised no one suggested Spark yet. Good little car. With not much issues in ingress and out gress.

^^ Spark is an entry level car, old model, Some where i read it had old model engine too (8valves).i suspect the low Mileage of Spark compared to competitors.

Thread Starter #11
Took a td of swift zxi(friend's car).. I just loved the front seats and the dash, but backseat wasn't very comfortable.. And IMPRACTICAL BOOT SPACE eventhough the car's dimensions are quite large :( .. drive was peppy.. Was just a bit nervous about scratching the flared wheel arches.. Will td sail uva in the coming days to compare it too..

Thread Starter #12
Spark looks too cute and small(my personal opinion :) .. And the I have the budget of going a segament up(where there are more choices)..

Safety in what sense.. means.. safety from thief or built wise? can u please elaborate....

Thanks for the replies.... :)

@anshuman: wagonr, ritz beat and vista are out(looks not appealing to my parents though I personally love beat's styling.. i20 would be slightly out of budget out only the base variant would be available(barely).. Between the rest, swift is the most attractive one (joint opinion ;)

@manish: bro I love brio's looks but my parents don't like its back.. Also I'm a little sceptical about the safety as its a glass back(industrial toughened whatever)..

@threeace: amaze not available anywhere nearby yet.. And it will also be over my budget..

Will start tds soon.. One more thing.. I've read a lot about this breaking issue in swift low and middle variants.. any news on that front?

My choice would be Ritz not because it is Maruti but because it has,

Tall body – Ingress and Egress is easy.
Simple Design – No beefed up wheel arch, bumpers and boot.
Comfortable – Can carry four person and luggage at ease
Drivability – The waterfall gear box is the best making the gear shift very easy and overall visibility is good compared to Swift. Fun factor and cornering may take a hit though.
Interior – Roomy interior which can accommodate 4 at ease along with the luggage.
Engine – One cannot go wrong with the K-Series engine considering the mileage and performance it delivers.

Thread Starter #15
Ritz back not appealing to my parents(& even me :/ ).. On other front, swift vxi is available with no w8ing period in my area.. There is a w8ing period of about 20-25 days on lxi version.. Price quoted are rs. 4.97 lacs lxi & rs. 5.5lacs vxi otr..
Will tok about discounts and stuff after finalising between swift and sail..

Last edited:

Top Bottom