Should I Buy 2012 Manufactured New Car Now?

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

I am planning to buy a new car and I have some options to buy a OCT 2012 model brio or OCT 2012 RITZ and there may be further 20K-30K discounts on these cars.

The query I have is

- is it a good idea to buy a car which is in showroom stockyard for 6-7 months?

- Since the engine has not run but engine oil is just sitting there, does it damage the engine in any way?

- Should the engine oil be changed while taking the delivery?

- What are the further precautions I should be taking for a 2012 model car

- In terms of car value, how much a car depreciates in 6-7 months time? For example brio V MT costs 6.65 L on road in BLR but the actual value of OCT 2012 model car is shown on car wale to be about 5.1 L only as the car has depreciated (not much resale value for a honda)

In such cases how to bargain more with the showroom.

Any other inputs would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Re: should I buy a 2012 model car from a showroom

Hello,

I am planning to buy a new car and I have some options to buy a OCT 2012 model brio or OCT 2012 RITZ and there may be further 20K-30K discounts on these cars.

The query I have is

- Since the engine has not run but engine oil is just sitting there, does it damage the engine in any way?

- In terms of car value, how much a car depreciates in 6-7 months time? For example brio V MT costs 6.65 L on road in BLR but the actual value of OCT 2012 model car is shown on car wale to be about 5.1 L only as the car has depreciated (not much resale value for a honda)

Thanks.
There is no harm in buying a car which is 6+ months old in the stock. The depreciation will be 1 year already when you buy the car, but if you plan to keep for 5 years or so, do not bother about that much.

Dealer has to carry special PDI for 6+ month old car with specific checks in exposed rubber parts (to be changed if necessary), tyres, engine oil, fabrics, under-body condition etc.

In my whole life only 1 car I had bought which was factory fresh, rest all were 2-6 months old in yard.

Last but not the least if you are buying in Mar-2013, please push for more discounts/freebies as dealers have their inventory full and they are in extreme pressure to clear stock by 31.03.2013 (end on FY13).

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #3
Re: should I buy a 2012 model car from a showroom

Thanks Anshuman.

Are there any specific checks I should be doing on the car?
How about the engine and engine oil condition since engine is idle and engine oil is just sitting there?

Regards.

You have to go thru the PDI checklist thread where you would get complete list of what you need to check, along with that also check rubber beadings, sealants, tyres, battery condition.
Also before finalising do share what offers you are getting from dealer and on which car and variant.Coming 1st april, all dealers would want to clear off their stocks of last financial year as days would proceed they would need to give away more discounts on that vehicle.
So you need to bargain as much as you can and see the overall price difference.
Other then this there is nothing wrong in buying 4-5 months old car.

Thread Starter #5
You have to go thru the PDI checklist thread where you would get complete list of what you need to check, along with that also check rubber beadings, sealants, tyres, battery condition.
Also before finalising do share what offers you are getting from dealer and on which car and variant.Coming 1st april, all dealers would want to clear off their stocks of last financial year as days would proceed they would need to give away more discounts on that vehicle.
So you need to bargain as much as you can and see the overall price difference.
Other then this there is nothing wrong in buying 4-5 months old car.
The supposed discount I am getting on a BRIO V MT 2012 model is around 50K plus some more accessories. I still feel that for a Brio - 6L is expensive as the rear space is a bit low and boot is quite small.

The current discount I am getting on RITZ petrol is around 45K - no accessories (typical Maruti)

Last edited:
Hi, welome to TAI.

That's great. Money saved is money earned.

The query I have is

Its not a good idea. Its a great idea (provided you take care of a few points mentioned below) because you will save on depreciation cost that account for the major outlay on a car in the first year of it's ownership.

It does not damage the engine in any way.

Yes. Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes. Engine oil is to the engine what blood is to our body. It looses its lubricating properties with the passage of time. Get it changed.

First and foremost, you have to be 100% sure that its not a test driven abused mule. Check out the VIN. Though the odo might read '0', you must look for indicators - they would be aplenty. Look out for swirl marks on the paint, worn out rubber covers on the accelerator/brake/clutch pedals, smelly carpet, stains and scratches on the upholstery/ on plastic trim, oil stains inside the engine compartment, a gear shifter knob that doesnt exactly look untouched, stones embedded in grooves of the the spare tyre, missing screws on the inner wheel well lining, the colour of the engine coolant (in most cases, if the car's been used then the colour of the coolant will be muddy) basically anything that doesnt look untouched.

Crudely speaking, petrol cars like the Brio and the Ritz would depreciate @ 20% in the first year of ownership.
Its a different case with a dealer trying to sell a previous year model car as in such instances it all depends upon how much the dealer is willing to hold old inventories. Bargain hard!

Show interest but dont go overborad. Ask for freebies. Meet someone senior at the showroomand negotiate with him - sales advisors do not have any decision powers over and above what has been dictated to them in their sales script. Understand that most dealers would want to clear up previous year's inventories before 1 April.

You cant really go wrong with a 6-7 month old Brio or Ritz provided you do your homework correctly. If you are wanting to keep this car for 5-6 years, then you will have nothing to loose in terms of resale.

Anytime! Please keep this thread updated. It would help many other members and visitors who are facing a similar dilemma.

Last edited:
The supposed discount I am getting on a BRIO V MT 2012 model is around 50K plus some more accessories. I still feel that for a Brio - 6L is expensive as the rear space is a bit low and boot is quite small.

The current discount I am getting on RITZ petrol is around 45K - no accessories (typical Maruti)
The discount on ritz is a fair one,bargain for some accessories and go for it.
good luck.
Check all the rubber beeding's and re-place it if it is gone hard.
Demand for a Teflon coat as the car was exposed to sunlight for a long period.
Do check all that Sam Dinakar posted.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks sam and alexddas.

Except engine oil, is there anything else which needs to be changed?

I came to know that the brio is manufactured in Apr'12, V MT and received in the showroom around Aug-oct'12.

Which means that the car is 1 year old but in the stockyard.

The smartcard will carry oct'12 date according to the salesman.

I am getting around 50k off on this brio and some accessories.

Please let me know what would be a good price to quote as a final quote from my side.

The on road cost is around 6.63K for V MT and I came to know that honda has stopped producing V MT as they want to concentrate on the Amaze and also introduce rear wiper and seat adjustment on brio's later version.

Car is simply great except bumpy ride on uneven roads.

I am not sure if I need to pay 6.1 L for 1 year old Brio, when I can purchase a 2013 amaze by paying 1-1.5 L extra. ( I do not really need a Sedan but having it would be good for the long run)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
I booked a brio VMT 2012 model white color for 594500 in Bangalore.

It covers 0% depreciation insurance, PU seat covers, reverse parking sensors, teflon coating, floor mats, 3/4th year extended warranty and road side assistance, car cover, pillows and air freshner.

The car was received around oct 2012 but appears to be manufactured around July 2012.

The guy promised me that PDI will be done properly.

Do you think it is a good deal?
what precautions should I be doing?

I booked a brio VMT 2012 model white color for 594500 in Bangalore.

It covers 0% depreciation insurance, PU seat covers, reverse parking sensors, teflon coating, floor mats, 3/4th year extended warranty and road side assistance, car cover, pillows and air freshner.

The car was received around oct 2012 but appears to be manufactured around July 2012.

The guy promised me that PDI will be done properly.

Do you think it is a good deal?
what precautions should I be doing?
Please post some pics of your PDI, of the car inside out. If something looks unusual, people here can guide you about that. Make sure you take lots of pictures.

I am getting a discount of 6k for a 2012 manufactured alto 800. They aren't willing to provide any more discounts.
Right now, I want to know whether the old model would effect in the vehicle's re-sale value. It won't last with us for more than 5 years. Opinions needed as soon as possible!

I am getting a discount of 6k for a 2012 manufactured alto 800. They aren't willing to provide any more discounts.
Right now, I want to know whether the old model would effect in the vehicle's re-sale value. It won't last with us for more than 5 years. Opinions needed as soon as possible!
The discounts are too less considering it is a 2012 model, last month also Maruti was giving 30K off on Alto 800.

I advise you to check with multiple dealers.

Assuming the car was parked under sun (most stockyards are like that) since last 6-7 months, tyres need to be changed. Even if they look new, insist on changing them. The rubber might have become hard and brittle and wont last long, even with good groove depth.

Top Bottom