Booked Swift ZXi, But Still in Doubt Between ZXi vs VXi vs VDi

Thread Starter #1
Hellon guys,

We are going to buy our very first car in a family of three, me, dad n mom. Our budget is upto 7L. We fixed on Swift Petrol and booked Metallic Blue ZXi last December, as our average running will be maximum 500 km a month and the features it is offering at prices lower than VDi.

I have still a leaning towards the VDi because of its mileage and the fuel price which was abt 48 (now the case is changing, as govt is increasing diesel prices by 50p/month and is on a roadmap to clear its subsidy. Dont know if the fuel prices will be reverted back next year after clearing the oil companies loss or after elections).

We then started to doubt about ZXi being overkill or money loss for our 3 people family and also due to the price increases in January, started changing mind to VXib being our drives mostly in city than highways so ABS and Airbags are unnecessary, but was unwilling as it has no music system, alloys, safety features etc and should source most from market which is hard for us as both dad and mom are employed and have no time..

After a week of booking, the dealer guys called us telling the vehicle is ready.
We expected it will take a month and as its the last month of year and our mind changed for owning a 2013 manufactured car and of the confusion in owning a ZXi than VXi, we hesitated and said we wanted a 2013 manufactured one.

Two months after, they called again telling our 2013 manufactured car is ready. As we couldnt take a decision b/w ZXi, VXi and VDi and of the govt policies on fuel and subsidy, we said cash is not ready and want the car only after april.

Now april is closing in and still we are in that same dilemma and require your kind help for fixing on one. I have read most of the similar post queries on net including posts here to clear my doubts. But truth is that still am unable to fix on one, fearing if ZXi will be overkill or waste of money for our three member family

My doubt comes from part of the fact that i couldnt find more than one or two Swift ZXi on roads. All are VDi's, then ZDi's , then VXi's [cry]

Kindly help guys [roll]

Hope TAI can clear my hurdles. [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: First time car buyer, booked Swift ZXi, but still in doubt b/w ZXi vs VXi vs VDi

Hey JayBal, Welcome to TAI. You have landed at right place. Let me make you bit comfortable that you are not alone in this dilemma, there are many more same like you , sailing in same boat. This is purely because of volatile fuel prices in India.

First of all can you let us know your requirements and priorities in the format given on the link below. Then, it will be very easy for us to help you out.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/1298-looking-buy-car-must-read.html

Re: First time car buyer, booked Swift ZXi, but still in doubt b/w ZXi vs VXi vs VDi

Hi JayBal,

500 km per month does not warrant for a diesel car.
Please stick to Swift Vxi/Zxi as per your trim choice.

Swift gives decent FE in petrol too.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Do not go for Diesel if you running is as low to 500. Even if the price of petrol and diesel will be equal the cost difference between petrol and diesel engine will be around 1L plus.To offset this value with your running it will almost take around 8 years.

Swift petrol engine is very nice engine.

Hi jaybal, i suggest you opt for ZXI as it has ABS and Airbags. You might never use them but they'll save you any day. Also heard from many friends that brakes especially non ABS variants are not good, So ZXI is my choice. Also 500 monthly running doesn't justify for Diesel. Mileage is decent on the Swift Petrol.

Welcome Jaybal, i would advice you to go for Diesel as your running is definitely gonna increase once you own it. I am sure about it just because its your first car and you are thinking to use it occasionally but mind it buddy you'll end up using it more than atleast 1500KMs per month.

Welcome Jaybal. Though your monthly running is very less but I too think that you should go for the Vdi and remember the diesel engine of the swift is a bomb, its truly a gem! (No offence to petrol variant) [clap]

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum @Evox, wish you to have a nice stay aboard.

@VivekRj.Dieselhead Thanks, I am a newbie here [:)]

Welcome Jaybal, i would advice you to go for Diesel as your running is definitely gonna increase once you own it. I am sure about it just because its your first car and you are thinking to use it occasionally but mind it buddy you'll end up using it more than atleast 1500KMs per month.
100% agree, it will fetch you more re-sale too.
Go ahead and experience the Multi-jet.wish you all the best bro.

Last edited:

100% agree, it will fetch you more re-sale too.
[frustration][frustration]Why do everyone starts making plans of selling his ride even before buying it. Selling your beloved car sould be last option that too while facing major problems.

Hi Jay,

I had just same requirements as yours, family of 3 and monthly 500 km!!
I taught it doesn't make sense buying a new car so I headed to maruti true value dealers and brought home a SWIFT 2010 VXi. Very well maintained car!! For 4 L.

Just my view , visit a true value dealer u may get a good deal!!
I think diesel swifts have turbo charged engines so keeping it for days won't affect the engines!! So u can either choose a diesel / petrol.

Personally ZXI is a waste of money!!

Brother,
I am not an expert. But as a common man, please have this in mind.
1L invest now - It may be going thru EMIs ?
Petrol Price in Bangalore - 75.50Rs Diesel Price - 52Rs . In another year, it will add another 6Rs, so diesel will become 62-64 in two year (you can be assured - it wont go beyond that unless something goes bad drastically)

So after two years - Diesel price 64RS . Petrol Price 85 ? (adding just 10Rs . Sure, it will go more than that)
Mileage on Diesel -20+, Petrol -15+ ?

If you want to travel 200Km in one stretch, you will be spending 520Rs -550Rs diesel in Bangalore - Kerala, it should be around 500rs or less.

If you want to travel the same in petrol, it would cost 1000Rs in Bangalore , 900-950 in kerala (If you get 15 km).
So, Paying 500Rs extra for that short trip 100km one way feels more pinching than paying 1L in the initial days :) Instead of 200Km, if you want to travel a long trip once a month (500KM), then you pay 1500 extra than diesel.

Not the least : Yes, when you sell a diesel car, you get more resale value (That is the reality even if you dont think of selling car at the moment).

Keep all this in mind. Listen to the experts too. Decide on your own :)

By the way, Welcome to TAI. Enjoy your stay !

Thread Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your advices.

But can you guys tell if it is good for a diesel car to stay idle for months at the car porch...?. If I will be going out of state or out of country for jobs, and as our family has only one driver now, ie me, then would that make the car prone to problems, if i choose VDi?...

What you people have to say about this part of my post,

My doubt comes from part of the fact that i couldnt find more than one or two Swift ZXi on roads. All are VDi's, then ZDi's , then VXi's..

Last edited:
New swift comes with turbo charged engines so it should be fine for 2-4 weeks, at least you should teach your family to start the car And keep it running for few minutes!!

Zdi and Vdi are little overpriced so people opt for ZXI and VXI. U should buy zdi unless your very much safety concerned as they are equipped with ABS etc.

My choice would be Vxi as my requirements are same as yours.
And I also prefer you to visit Maruti True Value centers .

Top Bottom