Looking For a VFM Hatch - On-Road Price Within 5 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends, I am a active member of this forum. I need suggestions for buy my first car within a month.

Please do have a look at my parameters:
  • > Your Budget: 5 lakhs onroad (without any accessories)
  • > New or Used: New Car
  • > Your Location: Kolkata
  • > Top Five Priorities: Ride quality, Comfort,Space,Good Engine, Powerful AC
  • > Monthly Running: Between 500 – 800 Kms
  • > Type of Fuel: Petrol
  • > For What Purpose: Regular office use and weekend family trip of 4 people including parents
Want to keep car for at least 5 years.
I am planning to TD all the below mentioned car with my wife
1. Honda Brio EX MT
2. Chevrolet Sail UVA Base
3. Hyundai 10 1.2 Magma
4. Nissan Micra XE
5. Maruti RITZ (though does not like the look at all :sorry)
Not considering Swift,I20,Polo,Live,Punto due to budget constraint . Looking for suggations…:help:

Hello friends, I am a active member of this forum. I need suggestions for buy my first car within a month.

Please do have a look at my parameters:
  • > Your Budget: 5 lakhs onroad (without any accessories)
  • > New or Used: New Car
  • > Your Location: Kolkata
  • > Top Five Priorities: Ride quality, Comfort,Space,Good Engine, Powerful AC
  • > Monthly Running: Between 500 – 800 Kms
  • > Type of Fuel: Petrol
  • > For What Purpose: Regular office use and weekend family trip of 4 people including parents
Want to keep car for at least 5 years.
I am planning to TD all the below mentioned car with my wife
1. Honda Brio EX MT
2. Chevrolet Sail UVA Base
3. Hyundai 10 1.2 Magma
4. Nissan Micra XE
5. Maruti RITZ (though does not like the look at all :sorry)
Not considering Swift,I20,Polo,Live,Punto due to budget constraint . Looking for suggations…:help:

Based on ONLY your options:

1. Ride quality : Micra

2. Comfort : Micra

3. Space : Sail U-VA

4. Good Engine - Brio

5. Powerful AC - Ritz

See, its so confusing, no? And that's where the fun lies. Ah, selecting a new car is always so much fun!

You seem to be totally spoilt for comfort. There is no car under Rs. 5 lakhs with the space, comfort, and ride quality of the Vista but then its 1.2 petrol engine is not comparable to other 1.2 petrols in the market at all.

Out of the choices listed by you, the best compromise seems to the the Ritz. It is comfortable, spacious, has good ride quality, an excellent petrol engine and a good AC. If you could digest it's looks, you will be rewarded with an immensely practical car that will keep you comfortable and ensure absolute peace of mind.

There are several members on this forum who own a Ritz. PM Gurrala74 and ask him about his experience with his Ritz.

But the rule to remember is, always take a test drive of all cars and then decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Looking for a VFM hatch - onroad price within 5 lakhs

First, if you are in Kolkata/WB take the 5 years road tax then your OTR will be less. If you take LTT your OTR will shoot up.

Second, how much will be your monthly running ? If it is less than 1000-1200 Kms you should go for petrol , else diesel. In case if you think your running is low initially later it may go up, still go for diesel.

Now for choice of car and their ex-showroom prices in lacs :

1. Ritz LXI - 4.53
2. Ritz LDI - 5.62
3. Micra XE P- 4.15
4. Vista GLX - 4.85
5. Vista LS TDI - 4.79
6. Vista LS QJT- 5.29
7. Sail UVA Base P - 4.27
8. I10 Magna P - 4.31

There are many more cars which will be out of your budget. I have not considered Nano, Alto, M800, Eon as I presume they are not of your choice.

I guess there are good discounts going in the market and you can get 20K+ off on each of above car.

Road Tax 5 years for each of above models are roughly 33K. Insurance should be 10K-12K based on car you buy. Please take from outside agent or online as showrooms rip you off there.

I am sure if you do proper calculations you would get any of them around 5L.

All the best,

Cheers,
Anshuman

Tatai - Welcome to TAI.

I would blindly suggest i-10 Magna Kappa 1.2 for many known factors. To me, that's the best in this lot.

Next choice would be Vista, which would be a real VFM option.

if you want style, reliability and a H! badge, Brio is the one for you

but yes do take a test drive of all you selected and then make your decision.

Thread Starter #6
Re: Looking for a VFM hatch - onroad price within 5 lakhs

First, if you are in Kolkata/WB take the 5 years road tax then your OTR will be less. If you take LTT your OTR will shoot up.

Second, how much will be your monthly running ? If it is less than 1000-1200 Kms you should go for petrol , else diesel. In case if you think your running is low initially later it may go up, still go for diesel.

Now for choice of car and their ex-showroom prices in lacs :

1. Ritz LXI - 4.53
2. Ritz LDI - 5.62
3. Micra XE P- 4.15
4. Vista GLX - 4.85
5. Vista LS TDI - 4.79
6. Vista LS QJT- 5.29
7. Sail UVA Base P - 4.27
8. I10 Magna P - 4.31

There are many more cars which will be out of your budget. I have not considered Nano, Alto, M800, Eon as I presume they are not of your choice.

I guess there are good discounts going in the market and you can get 20K+ off on each of above car.

Road Tax 5 years for each of above models are roughly 33K. Insurance should be 10K-12K based on car you buy. Please take from outside agent or online as showrooms rip you off there.

I am sure if you do proper calculations you would get any of them around 5L.

All the best,

Cheers,
Anshuman
Thanks for suggestion. yes I am going for 5 years tax.
Nissan provided 25k discount+10K accessories for 2012 model. Is it worth buying 2012 manufactured car in April 2013?
Honda Brio comes with free insurance+anti rust+corporate discount.

Thread Starter #7
Today I have taken TD of BRIO and Micra.

Micra: Very good looking as per my wife. [:)] Though I found some -ve and +ve point.
Gear shift is very useful for city driving.suspension is good. Rear passenger does not feel bumpiness but rear seat has insufficient under-thigh support. Space is average. Don't know about 3 cylinder engine performance and NVH in long run.
The one and only service centre in Kolkata is 50 km away from my home [;)]

Brio:

Lookwise smallest among the all but spacewise similar to Micra. Don't have any boot, even 60:40 rear seat split. Ride quality is poor even noticed some body roll on 100+kph. Less head room in rear seat. AC is not so effective in hot kolkata weather.
Engine its IVTEC. no further comments..
Planning for TD rest of the car in few days.

Welcome to TAI!

I would suggest Ritz for you from the list of cars you have selected and here are my suggestions on the other cars in your list,

1. Honda Brio EX MT: I own a Brio and it is absolutely fun to drive car. The car is always [or 90%] occupied with 2 people including the driver and I found no troubles at all and nothing to complain about. Some of the users here had comments about the ac but I find it to be reasonable [may be because I use only the tow vents and close the other two]. I would recommend you to consider an upgraded version if possible. The car may look small but it has space for 5 and can comfortably carry 4.

2. Chevrolet Sail UVA Base: Just launched and I would say wait for some more time.

3. Hyundai 10 1.2 Magma: This was the only competitors during my car selection phase as I was pretty clear what to expect out of my ride. Wife likes the I10 but Honda leads the compare chart any day.

4. Nissan Micra XE: The diesel heart is an absolute oil burner but you have more petrol engines to choose from the lot. It is definitely a comfortable car but the 50KM drive to Service centre will keep me away from this brand.

5. Maruti RITZ: The K-Series engine is worth a mention here and you get fabulous discounts for the petrol version. The car can accommodate 4 people comfortably and the overall ride quality is best in the list [I say this without comparing the Sail]. The service back-up from Maruti should also be considered while making up your decision - They are everywhere today.

Do test drive all the cars and share your experience here! I personally prefer Honda any day because the family has more Honda’s than other cars and they are no non-sense car.

1. Honda Brio EX MT: I own a Brio and it is absolutely fun to drive car. The car is always [or 90%] occupied with 2 people including the driver and I found no troubles at all and nothing to complain about. Some of the users here had comments about the ac but I find it to be reasonable [may be because I use only the tow vents and close the other two]. I would recommend you to consider an upgraded version if possible. The car may look small but it has space for 5 and can comfortably carry 4.
+100 [thumbsup]

I totally agree with all points you've mentioned about this peppy pot.

Thread Starter #10
Thanks friend for valuable suggestions..
After TD of all cars and some nail biting discussion with my family booked Sail UVA base model. Its ticks almost every requirements of my preferences.
A big NO from my family for RITZ (rear look) hence even not took TD.[cry]

Final On road price: 4,72,000 (with 5 years road tax+ corporate discount)
Free accessories: Remote lock, 3M anti rust, mud flap, perfume, idol, steering cover, and floor mat.
Planning for good quality sun film and ICE from outside. Any suggestion on sun film?

After TD of all cars and some nail biting discussion with my family booked Sail UVA base model. Its ticks almost every requirements of my preferences.

Free accessories: Remote lock, 3M anti rust, mud flap, perfume, idol, steering cover, and floor mat.
Planning for good quality sun film and ICE from outside. Any suggestion on sun film?
Congrats, on your new ride. Looking forward for a detailed ownership review. [clap]

Sun films are legally not permitted. But i would suggest 3M CR70, which is light enough to avoid the cops and serves the purpose.

Last edited:

Congrats on your new car. [clap].

Looking forward for an ownership review thread with lots of pictures.

For ICE go for Pioneer or Sony or JVC. (HU). Speakers JBL, Sony, Hertz or any other.

For Sun film please go for Garware ice-cool smoke gray color (50% VLT). They are cheaper and you wont mind if you are asked to tear off later. However, Kolkata cops are quite OK about sun films unlike their counterparts in Mumbai, NCR and Bangalore.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum buddy.

See Bold.

Congrats on your new car. [clap].

Looking forward for an ownership review thread with lots of pictures.

For ICE go for Pioneer or Sony or JVC. (HU). Speakers JBL, Sony, Hertz or any other.
Buddy sony is full of problems in this case pio is best. For speakers go for hertz /polk//Bull/Rainbow but after having audition

Top Bottom