To Sell or Keep My Ford Ikon?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I need some help from everybody out there. The thing is that i currently have a 2004 Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair [ODO around 68k]. Well my car is in a pretty much OK condition and now my Dad has problem with the car (Well he never liked it from the starting) He keeps on telling me to sell my car and buy another Used car or go from a New car.

So my question is should i go with my Dad's suggestion and sell this or Keep my car. And there are some points i think my dad is absouletly right about since its a ford the maintainence and spare parts are quiet expensive and since its a 2004 model the resale value that i would be getting is pretty low.

The other question that comes to mind is if i sell it which car should i buy. My budget would go from 2.0L to 8L. My monthly running is very low around 500k or Less.

Choices that come to my Mind.

1. Honda Civic [Used]
2. VW Polo [New]

Choices that my dad gave to me.

1. Honda City [used]
2. Swift ZDI/VDI [New]
3. i20 [New]

P.S - Mods please shift the topic to correct section if this section is incorrect

Re: To Sell or keep my Ford Ikon

Hello Everyone. I need some help from everybody out there. The thing is that i currently have a 2004 Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair [ODO around 68k]. Well my car is in a pretty much OK condition and now my Dad has problem with the car (Well he never liked it from the starting) He keeps on telling me to sell my car and buy another Used car or go from a New car.

So my question is should i go with my Dad's suggestion and sell this or Keep my car. And there are some points i think my dad is absouletly right about since its a ford the maintainence and spare parts are quiet expensive and since its a 2004 model the resale value that i would be getting is pretty low.

The other question that comes to mind is if i sell it which car should i buy. My budget would go from 2.0L to 8L. My monthly running is very low around 500k or Less.

1. Honda Civic [Used]
2. VW Polo [New]

1. Honda City [used]
2. Swift ZDI/VDI [New]
3. i20 [New]

P.S - Mods please shift the topic to correct section if this section is incorrect
You have dilemma which is common to have when you own a car for 5+ years.

Ford Ikon is a good car, gives decent FE but negatives include the service is costly, spares are expensive and its a discontinued model.

So if you want to change your car of course the question comes in mind :

1. Hatchback or Sedan
2. New or Used
3. Petrol or Diesel and so on.

I would list a few cars (including some from your list) which you can look for :

Hatchbacks :
1. Swift(P/D) - New
2. i20 (P/D) - New
3. Vista (D90) - New
4. Liva (P/D) - New
5. Polo (P) - New

Sedans :
1. Honda City(Used less than 3 years)
2. Dzire (P/D) - New
3. Manza (D) - New
4. Sail (D) - New
5. Amaze (P/D) - New -> Worth waiting for launch.

I hope you are not looking for MPV, SUV etc.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Hi Bunty
I have a few questions.. is the reason you want to sell the car is because you have to renew road tax on 2014?
Also what type of costs do you get in repair and maintenance currently per year?

Given your usage ~500 kms per month its not Diesel territory, unless and until you want to buy diesel for the experience of it.

The way I see it is like this. You will not get a good value for your existing car -- probably get 20-25% more if you sale it directly. Also given the economy and market condition now (where new cars dont sell), I am sorry it would take atleast 4-6 months to sell yours. Also you sell it now or sell it after a year (after renewal of the road tax) you will probably get the same amount.
So my suggestion is that unless and until you have some serious issues with your existing car (or the repairs are becoming expensive), continue with it.
Side by side, give ad in the online forums (olx, quickr, carwale) and see the response.
If you do get a good offer and able to sell, then go and buy a new car.
The way the market and the auto sector is today, I dont think its going to change that fast in 2013. So the offers are not going anywhere.

Hopefully that makes sense and sorry for not being very enthusiastic.

Thread Starter #4

Anshuman thank you for your reply.

Hi Bunty
I have a few questions.. is the reason you want to sell the car is because you have to renew road tax on 2014?
Also what type of costs do you get in repair and maintenance currently per year?
Hi chayan and thanks for your reply. Firstly i did not knew that i had to renew the road tax in 2014. Actually i am the 2nd owner of the car my brother bought it in 2007 do i still have to renew the road tax and how much does it cost can you throw some light over this?

And about the maintainence cost per year. Actually the time i thought to service my car i called up ford and fixed an appoinemt and after a inspection the Ford guy told me there is some problem with the suspension and they need to replace it and the other basic servicing would cost around 45k [shock]. I told him No thank you and went to my local garage and the mechanic did the basic servicing and everything was done for 1500. So if you calculate the maintainence cost per year it goes around 8k-10k which is fine.

Last edited:

Hi Bunty, check your current tax receipt. Either it will have life time tax or 5 yearly. Since you said that its 2004, I took that your second renewal would be in 2014.
5 year tax is generally to the tune of Rs. 25-35K, but depends upon state to state and car type. You will have to check up with PVD at Mumbai or get an agent for it.

Considering 2 services per year, Rs.8K /year seems reasonable. Also did the local garage tell you what's the problem with suspension?

Anshuman thank you for your reply.

Hi chayan and thanks for your reply. Firstly i did not knew that i had to renew the road tax in 2014. Actually i am the 2nd owner of the car my brother bought it in 2007 do i still have to renew the road tax and how much does it cost can you throw some light over this?

And about the maintainence cost per year. Actually the time i thought to service my car i called up ford and fixed an appoinemt and after a inspection the Ford guy told me there is some problem with the suspension and they need to replace it and the other basic servicing would cost around 45k [shock]. I told him No thank you and went to my local garage and the mechanic did the basic servicing and everything was done for 1500. So if you calculate the maintainence cost per year it goes around 8k-10k which is fine.
You need to check if your road tax was paid for 10 years or 15 years. I think Chayan is referring to system followed in WB where tax was payed every 5 years until lately when LTT has been introduced.

I think FASS are correct. My friend got his 2006 Ikon's front two shocks replaced in 2011 , and it cost him grand 22K [:D]

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #7

Hi Bunty, check your current tax receipt. Either it will have life time tax or 5 yearly. Since you said that its 2004, I took that your second renewal would be in 2014.
5 year tax is generally to the tune of Rs. 25-35K, but depends upon state to state and car type. You will have to check up with PVD at Mumbai or get an agent for it.

Considering 2 services per year, Rs.8K /year seems reasonable. Also did the local garage tell you what's the problem with suspension?
I am still not sure about this Road tax. I asked a colleague of mine he said its valid for 20-25 years but i am still not sure. Ill ask someone or either somebody from the forums can tell me about. Yes 8k per year is kinda afordable. And my mechanic told me there was nothing wrong in the suspension. The ASS guy was trying to make some quick buck.

1. Honda Civic [Used]
2. VW Polo [New]

1. Honda City [used]
2. Swift ZDI/VDI [New]
3. i20 [New]
Budget of 2Lakhs - 8Lakhs cover very wide variety of cars. Are you looking for a sedan or a hatchback? Also does your daily running exceed 50kms then you should go for Diesel in current circumstances.

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #9

Budget of 2Lakhs - 8Lakhs cover very wide variety of cars. Are you looking for a sedan or a hatchback? Also does your daily running exceed 50kms then you should go for Diesel in current circumstances.

Regards,
Sankar
I am fine with both. My monthly running does not exceds 500KM. Whats the harm if i still buy a Diesel car even though my monthly running is below 500km will it effect the engine's life? or any other problem?

I am fine with both. My monthly running does not exceds 500KM. Whats the harm if i still buy a Diesel car even though my monthly running is below 500km will it effect the engine's life? or any other problem?
Diesel car's have a premium of 1-1.5lakh comparing the same variants that come in Petrol. Also Diesel cars need more maintenance compared to petrol cars. But if you have daily running of more than 50Kms then the premium you pay for diesel cars can be saved as diesel cost much less than petrol. But as your monthly running is only 500kms then petrol car makes sense.

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #11
Just finished reading about Honda Amaze and i think its definately worth waiting for its launch also gonna speak to my dad about this.

Yes as I had suggested earlier it would be worth waiting for Amaze. Heard they would offer good package on launch. Maybe they offer exchange bonus also.

More see on thread -

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...3836-honda-brio-sedan-its-honda-amaze-10.html

Petrol/Diesel is very debatable issue.

You can check this thread for same. IMO, 500 kms per month definitely does not warrant for diesel engine.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...85-diesel-vs-petrol-cars-2013-scenario-8.html

Cheers,
Anshuman

Hi Bunty

My suggestion is to keep the existing car and get a used Honda Civic/Accord since your running is very less. An 2007 model used Civic and Accord will be available from 4lakhs onwards.

If you sell your Ford Ikon it will not fetch you even a lakh. So keep the car as the second one.

Top Bottom