Should I Buy Maruti Wagon-R VXi 2004?

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

This is my first post and I am planning to buy my first car .

I came across a June 2004 Wagon R silver grey, bangalore registration, 70,000 km run.
The owner is quoting 1.7 Lacs (which is high) but ready to negotiate

I am buying the car because I am fairly new to driving, want to run for 1-2 years before buying a new car. This can also be used as a second car.

1. He is the third owner (I will be 4th), he bought it from truevale 3.5 years ago

2. He says the condition is quite good, selling cos of buying a new car. He also seems very eager to sell as he needs to make a down payment for the new car.

3. comprehensive bumper to bumper insurance to be renewed in sep 2013

4. all standard accessories on the car, front two power windows, ac and standard music system. No additional accessories.

5. Taking a known driver to check out the car tomorrow

6. He says that tyres should be changed in another 5000 km

7. He is ready to service the car at a maruti showroom before selling it

8. Car serviced at standard maruti showrooms only but he does not have all the bills or service history

My questions

1. Should i buy this car and what should be the max price I pay?

2. Is old wagonr a good car, what are the drawbacks with this car and good points as well?

3. What all should be checked?

4. How much is the usual transfer charge in Bangalore

5. Any other advice/suggestions

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

Re: should I buy a 2004 WagonR VXI

The answer to your question is a BIG NO!
For that much money you will get a 2006-07 WagonR man, even a 2008 one if you are lucky. To top it a single owner car.

And if you still go ahead with this buy [frustration] then you should not pay anything more than 1 Lakh for this car. Remember you will have to keep this car for life or else it will go in junk, since you will be the 4th owner.[:D]

Think!

Hello All,

I came across a June 2004 Wagon R silver grey, bangalore registration, 70,000 km run.

Thanks a lot.
Regards.
Hi Mandar,

Please don't buy a car which is more than 5 years old to be on the safe side. If you buy this car it will be with you for life as no one will interested in buying a car which is owned by four other people. For 1.50lakhs you will get 2006-2008 registered petrol cars and you will also have good options to chose from. Also newer cars will have more features also(4 door power window, fog lamps music system etc).

Regards,
Sankar

My wagonR,2003,58K kms done got a price quote of 70K. So that guy is looting you. Just walk away from this one.

Thread Starter #5

Hello All,

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs, since I have scheduled the meeting I will go anyway.
If the vehicle is in OK condition then will not go above 80-90K.

Will provide the feedback tomorrow.

Any other inputs are welcome.

Regards.

2004 model
4th owner
no service bills history
even if car is in good condition (which i don't think so) not more than 70k
car is almost driven 70k i don't see those genuine as well

Guy's back here,we dont even get an alto 2003 for 90k.
For 70 to 90k we get old model ZEN.

The price of the above mentioned WaghonR back here is 1.5L.

@ TheFerrariFan
Bro back here your car can get 1.4L for sure from a dealer on exchange without exchange bonus.

Better to avoid. Or if you are still interested, not more than 1L

2. Is old wagonr a good car, what are the drawbacks with this car and good points as well?
We still have a 2005 Wagon R clocked more than 130k km, without any major problems. Tall boy design is good of elders in the rear seat + good road visibility for driver.

From bumper to bumper. If owner claims that the car is serviced only at M.A.S.S, take the car to them and verify the service history.

For 1.7L you can get 2007/08 model Wagon-R, Santro, Alto, Zen Estilo, Spark or even a 2005/06 Swift.

I do not understand why the re-sale value on cars are high back here!
2006 swift for 1.7L i am really surprised.
2 Main reasons : first since new cars are expensive due to higher taxes and secondly the availability of used cars is much lesser as compared to may be Delhi or Mumbai.

we get new alto for 3L,BeatD for 499999,SwiftD Ldi for 6.1L Innova V for 16L,Audi A4 for 35L on road.
The second hand value on Alto Lxi 2003 1.4L,Swift Ldi 2006 3.75L, innova 2005 V is 7L.

May be the second reason, lesser number of used cars.

Last edited:
People say you will get. But you will never get in bangalore for that price. 2007 wagon r was quoting around 2.3l. If you can get the same for 1.7l, please let me know. My friend is looking to buy one

Hello All,

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs, since I have scheduled the meeting I will go anyway.
If the vehicle is in OK condition then will not go above 80-90K.

Will provide the feedback tomorrow.

Any other inputs are welcome.

Regards.
HI mandar, how did your viewing/shopping go? Did you finalize the car.
As everybody has said the car is not worth more than 1.0 - 1.2 lacs even in Bangalore.

@ All, the used car prices are a skyrocket in Bangalore. The factors which contribute to them are :

1. High Price of new cars (read high taxes)
2. Almost 90% of used car deals are through dealers
3. Less availability of used cars 5-7+ years old.
4. Weather here plays a role to maintain cars in good condition.

e.g. One of my friend sold his 2008 Wagon R LXI in 2011 at 20K kms for 3.25 lacs. Anywhere else in India it would not fetched more than 2.75 lacs for sure.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Hey mandar, i would say NO to this car, recently i sold my 2008 Wagon R Vxi with CNG fitted 77K for 1.8 lacs in Delhi, the new owner is the 2nd owner.

You will have to spend another 10-12K for tyres after 5K kms, according to me anything more then 1lac for this car is not advisable. Search for another better car, i would suggest to buy the car from the seller directly and not from any dealer.

Hello All,

I am buying the car because I am fairly new to driving, want to run for 1-2 years before buying a new car. This can also be used as a second car.

1. He is the third owner (I will be 4th), he bought it from truevale 3.5 years ago

2. He says the condition is quite good, selling cos of buying a new car. He also seems very eager to sell as he needs to make a down payment for the new car.

3. comprehensive bumper to bumper insurance to be renewed in sep 2013

4. all standard accessories on the car, front two power windows, ac and standard music system. No additional accessories.

5. Taking a known driver to check out the car tomorrow

6. He says that tyres should be changed in another 5000 km

7. He is ready to service the car at a maruti showroom before selling it

8. Car serviced at standard maruti showrooms only but he does not have all the bills or service history

My questions

4. How much is the usual transfer charge in Bangalore

Thanks a lot.
Regards.
I had Maruti Wagon R Lxi 2004 - second owner - 58K Kms, good condition, all 5 tyres newly replaced ones, sold it for 1.05 Lacs.

Thanks,
Uday

Top Bottom