So i had the TD of XUV 500. Excited? Yeah. Booked ? Hell yeah! Arctic blue. oops! there goes my spoiler. Now let me walk you about the process of whats hows and whys...
We reached the showroom (satpuda motors, Jalgaon) in Noon and asked for a TD of the said vehicle. We were informed that the TD Vehicle was out and would have to wait for a few minutes. The treatment was not as warm or exciting and i was badly bursting in sweat. I felt i had landed into some furnace after stepping down my Fortuner (Thats what i drove to the place) and the Sales guy said that due to power problems AC is not working. There were no refreshments served or anything.
Meanwhile there was a XYLO standing besides and we thought why not check it out for the time being? The other sales guy was better and showed us some features. I climbed into Third row, and heavens! I could actually sit there. I think Xylo has one of the best third row among Indian vehicles. We took it out for a test drive and the Engine was lousy and too much body roll. The AC was out of order (Pity me) so again more sweat.However the ride was very silent and enjoyable. I feel XYLO is really and very much VFM
car. Seriously consider this boy when you're looking for an comfortable MUV.
Now after coming back, The STAR had arrived.
0)My first reaction was, Its SMALL . ITS DAMM TOO SMALL. Folks please don't go over the perception of Internet photos or videos and such. Its MUCH smaller in real life that it seems. On Highway in the rear mirror or approaching us from high speed it looks BEAST, but stand near it and beast tames down. Feels small. Parked next to my Fortuner, Its small in every angle. Length but also width. It seems very large from far away but is actually smaller. Damm! How many times i've used 'small' here?
1)Even the interior , Buttons, Seats, Consoles themselves are 80% size of fortuner. My dad gave an Idea that large grille is giving mammoth impression but the car narrows down from there. Especially glass area is much tapered off than the wheel arches (good 6~7 inches) hence its small from inside. So for people who come from Safari/Aria/Endevour/Fortuner will feel the XUV 500 is small.
2)It looks MEAN in white! I mean look at the wide Grin!
3)The benefit would be that it won't bring you the sweat on forehead like safari or Fortuner does in tight city traffic. The views are open and vehicle is compact. also the AC is very powerful so any sweat will dy off. haa ha. However we have to be careful with puffed up wheel arches or these may be scratched.
4)I heard the Music on XUV . For vocals its fine, but as soon as i boosted the bass on my note the speakers started badly rattling and distorting. Woofer for bass lovers is a must in XUV. On the other hand, my Fortuner has factory speakers those sound way better than XUV and don't need a SUB that badly. I paired my phone via BT and it was easy, considering first time user of XUV controls. The sales guy could not configure GPS , but i believe it works. The Audio system has line in, USB in, as well as RCA out for connectting amps and woofers. There's no manual eq but you get some presets. There's no built in crossover . We can control the XUV music system (remote) from mobile or also play music from mobile with bluetooth.
5)Third row should be renamed as Torture chamber. Much worse than XYLO or Fortuner even. My knees kept hitting the second row back and there's very claustrophobic feeling. However there's separate AC and mobile charging socket there. Also Reading lamps.
6) I wonder why didn't provide sliding rails on the second row to free up some space in the last row. Middle row has ample space. Are you listening, Mahindra?
7)There's zero boot space with all seats up. Now I'm worried about my woofer placement. Maybe this SUV will be mostly used only in 5 or 6 seat config.
8) All the interior lights/ Indicators are LEDs. Reading lamps are bright (Pure white ). There's Loungue lighting option but colour unfortunately can't be changed (I'ts red)
9)The low beam projectors are Halogens and not HID! don't go by the looks. Headlights don't seem very powerful.
10)The TD guy could not get static cornering headlights working.
11) LED parking lamps seem to be low quality , China LED. The colour is almost purple and not pure white. They're not Bright.
12)Sound insulation is awesome. We need to really put that gear indicator display to good use. Listening music or Conversations are going to be very pleasant in this car.
13) Brakes give that infamous Grinding Noise and vibration that everyone keeps talking about. However the Braking seems fine itself. The same Vibration appears when Fiercely accelerating in First or Second gear. So maybe its the tyres and not the brake problem after all. XUV badly needs some AT/s. Perhaps Yokohoma Geolander that I've been Satisfactorily using for both Safari and Fortuner.
14)Steering rod rubs onto the Right foot when Turning at low speeds (known issue)
15) I hit a large recession in road when crusing at 80 and the vehicle felt stable. The car landed with a large THUMP but held its straigt line.
16)Idea of using a pull up ring for reverse is a novel and useful one. Because there are 6 forward gears on XUV
17) Engine Performance is similar to Fortuner but not better. However 6 gear means very silent and lazy highway crusing. The power delivery really starts after 2000 RPM and not 1500 RPM like Fortuner
18) Awesome Convex Conversation mirror to keep watch on naughty kids or just to make a chit chat.
19) Vehicle is really low and easy to sit into. My mom loves it. We don't actually need those optional foot steps for this one.
20) Genuine accessories (As I guessed) are Horribly Overpriced! Roof carrier- 14k~! Foot steps- 12k, Mats 3.5k, Chrome 5k. Camera the most useful and reasonably priced at 4k.
21)You WILL need the camera installed because all i can see in Rear view mirror are the faces/Headrests of occupants (esp third row).
22)There are headrests for ALL 7 seats.
23)TD vehicle had a Fuel economy figures of 13 KMPL (we can view on Mobile as well). In real world I shall expect figures around 14 KMPL
24)Ride quality and comfort is very good but not as good as safari. XUV takes in small potholes like breakfast but we feel slightly large potholes and undulations bone shaking.
25)After being roughly driven for a year, The TD vehicle felt very smooth and there were no signs of anything failing or breaking off. Thumbs up Mahindra!