Should I Buy a 2007 Honda Civic

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I just came across a 2007 VMT honda civic for sale. UP registered but road tax paid in Bangalore and vehicle registered with RTO.

I would like to buy the civic just for pleasure to drive a honda at may be a lower price and my parents would be really happy to ride in a civic.

The vehicle has done 39000 kilometers and I have to still look at the vehicle but the owner told me that three times he has claimed insurance.
once when read bumper was damaged on a highway and twice the windshield cracked (once by a cricket ball and once by a stone on the road).

He claims that his service bills are around 4k max.

What would be your opinion on buying this car and what would be the right price considering that the car is more than 5 year old and the real problems might just start to come now. Also honda parts are quite expensive.

Any issues in terms of
1. low ground clearance on Bangalore roads
2. what is the average Fuel Efficiency I can expect (owner claims 10), will it drastically reduce over the next 2-3 years?
3. Anything else comes to your mind?
4. the maximum possible cost of the vehicle.
5. I heard that the vehicle has a number of blind spots?
6. I also read that parts are extremely expensive.

What should I check when I examine the car?
Is it feasible to examine the car at a honda service center?

Thanks.
Regards.

Last edited:
First of all let me tell you honda has discontinued the production of civic so expect the spares to be priced a bit on the higher side, although hondas are really reliable machines do check the suspension components.

If driven sanely the car might return around 11kmpl provided it has been serviced regularly. And no it wont reduce over time if the engine is mantained properly.

Civic's biggest problem is its ground clearance and it tends scrape over speed bumps and potholes adjust the way you drive accordingly.

For a 2007 model I would say its not worth more than 6 lakhs INR.
I cannot comment on the cost of spares because I have never owned a honda.

Last edited:
One of my friend was searching long time for a Honda car (used) and found one two days back. We went, had Inspection and bought it by thinking it is worth for the price it was offered.
He is so happy that he got a Honda City in such a condition for just 3L. The car was single owned maintained well had a mileage of 50942 on ODO while we took it from their place.
All services were done at Dakshin Honda and we tried our level best to make sure that the ODO meter was not tampered.
It was also 2007 model with comprehensive insurance and G-sport seat covers (leather). It was a Honda city Gxi 2007 model.

I was mentioning this for you to compare and fix the price for Civic. I think, even 6L for a Civic 2007 is slightly on higher side.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
One of my friend was searching long time for a Honda car (used) and found one two days back. We went, had Inspection and bought it by thinking it is worth for the price it was offered.
He is so happy that he got a Honda City in such a condition for just 3L. The car was single owned maintained well had a mileage of 50942 on ODO while we took it from their place.
All services were done at Dakshin Honda and we tried our level best to make sure that the ODO meter was not tampered.
It was also 2007 model with comprehensive insurance and G-sport seat covers (leather). It was a Honda city Gxi 2007 model.

I was mentioning this for you to compare and fix the price for Civic. I think, even 6L for a Civic 2007 is slightly on higher side.
Thanks for the info.
How do you ensure that ODO is not tampered?
What all did you check in the car?
In addition did you get the car checked at the honda service center as well?

Beginning we had doubt because that car had clocked only 51000 KM in 5.5 years span. Later we realized that the owner has a Ford Endavour, an Audi and a Benz for his outstation trips.
We have gone through the service manual thoroughly in which the ODO meter readings are written for reference. We took enough time and tried to find out abnormal running of car at any certain interval but we couldn't find any abnormality in its mileage.
Service intervals was almost equal and they had service at every 10000 km regularly and wheel alignment was done at every 5000KM . However we could collect wheel balancing report for last 20000Km only.

Well Civic is one of the best cars ever manufactured by Honda and is a very reliable car. I own one back in US but buying a civic in India nowdays take the following things into consideration:
1. Honda has stopped the production of the current model.
2. The new model was out almost 1 and a half years from now, which still has to reach India.
3. Ground Clearance is big -ve. Because my civic scraps on a 2-3 bumps back in US itself, so i can never imagine buying one in India. (That's my personal Opinion).
4. If you are interested get it checked from a Honda Dealer.
5. Keep in mind the spare parts and their prices. Go in the market and see how they are priced.
6. If the car is well maintained and you maintain the car same way then trust me your civic will run like a horse for another 5-7 yeas.

I guess IronRock and Type-R can throw in more light as they own Civic's as well.

Last edited:
Civic is a great machine and no the parts are not VERY expensive,much cheaper than my Lauras. Just get down and check for any damage to exhaust muffler which is common in civics cause of low GC. Car gives 8-11 kmpl depending on the condition and the car.
Now don't doubt low mileage rides,my laura(2009) has done 18k kms,wagonr(2002) has done 55k and city which is four months old has clocked 1.8K kms. So yeah many people dont drive their rides often.
A 2007 civic starts from around 4.5lacs.

The civic is a wonderful car and we have owned one till a few days back. My dad decided to sell the car since he wasn't happy with its GC. Bangalore roads are one of the worst in India with many illegal and badly made road humps. [frustration] The overall experience of driving and owning the Civic has been wonderful and we did not have any other issues. We owned the 2011 model 1.8V AT(without sunroof). The mileage we were getting was around 10 kmpl in city and around 13 kmpl on highways which i felt was decent considering its an AT vehicle.

Last edited:
Hi stackoverflow, is the car still UP registered or KA regd? When was the road tax paid ? Make sure you get copy/original invoice from the owner when he bought the car in 2007.

To change the ownership (if the car is UP regd) you would need NOC from UP RTO.

Civic is a very good car as others mentioned, if you use it sparingly service costs wont be much. But other spares will be costly.

All in all you can pay Rs 4.25-4.75 lacs maximum for this car based on its condition.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Last edited:
civic is an awesome car, you wont get wrong with it. Thou i doubt you will get 10km/L with it. maybe 7/8 would be an realistic figure now since the amount of traffic and road conditions have gone from bad to worse in recent years.

also i read in some other forum, people have successfully converted it into CNG etc. so that options is also there if your daily running increases.

Thread Starter #11
Hello All,

Thanks for your advice on this topic.

I will find out if he has a NOC from UP RTO.
Road tax has been paid and also the car is registered with BLR RTO.

One more query I have is about the insurance, his insurance is not 0% depreciation. Can this insurance be directly transferred or can I go and take a fresh insurance (and will I get a 0% depreciation - bumper to bumper) for a 5 year old car?

The worrying factors I see after your inputs is the potholes/speedbreakers in Bangalore.
I knew that all hondas scrape speed breakers but never though that it would be this bad.

Does this car has a number of blindspots as compared to other hondas? that is what I read somewhere.

Best Regards.

Last edited:
No I did not find blind spots and like I said,get down,under the car and check.
To get zero debt,you need a car without dents etc.
And why dont you try the City? Almost as quick as civic,as spacious,good looking if a little less loaded.

We have a 2007 Civic SMT with 136k on odo without any major issues. Once the engine mounts were replaced under warranty (around 45k km) to resolve excessive engine vibration and no other parts were replaced till date.

We are running with LPG for more than 1L km without any issues.

The vehicle has done 39000 kilometers and I have to still look at the vehicle but the owner told me that three times he has claimed insurance.
Check for the service history and insurance claim history to verify the odo reading and confirm if it is accident free vehicle

He claims that his service bills are around 4k max.
For general service (Consumable change + tyre rotation + wheel alignment & balancing) it should be under 5k only. But parts replacement will be costly though.

Any issues in terms of
1. low ground clearance on Bangalore roads
Once you start driving, you will get used to it
2. what is the average Fuel Efficiency I can expect (owner claims 10), will it drastically reduce over the next 2-3 years?
We are getting around 11kmpl in city & 12-13kmpl on highways (around 90kmph speed with 100% AC)
4. the maximum possible cost of the vehicle.
4.5L Max
5. I heard that the vehicle has a number of blind spots?
Yes, thick A-Pillar is a big negative
6. I also read that parts are extremely expensive.
Of course yes, but if it is maintained well Honda can last for atleast 200k km without any major part change.

Thread Starter #15
Hello all,

thanks for your advice.

One more query, how difficult it is to drive a civic in peak traffic bangalore conditions, considering the size of the car?

frankly, I have just learned driving.
Altough I am comfortable, I would like to avoid any issues.

Thanks.
Regards

Top Bottom