Confused Between Volkswagen Polo and Maruti Suzuki Swift

Thread Starter #1
Hello All

Well I am new to this forum, in fact this is my first post.
And I need opinion for purchasing new Car.
I am looking for Petrol Hatchback.
And I am extremely confused between Swift ZXI and Polo Comfortline/Highline.
Heart says Polo and Brain says Swift.
Family members got them self out of the equation saying, I need to take call as they like both the cars :(
Please share your valued views and suggestions :)
Finally, extremely sorry if I am asking query in wrong thread/forum category !

First of all. Welcome to TAI! [:)]

If your heart says Polo, then why don't you go for it. Even I own one. I won't say its the best car in the hatchback segment or something but yeah its certainly good. And between, I can guarantee that it is one of the hottest looking hatch in India now. Even I was confused between Polo & Swift while buying. Just like you, my heart said Polo. Made no other decision. Went straight away & booked it!
I am not comparing it coz it may get biased. :tongue:

Last edited:
Hello All

Well I am new to this forum, in fact this is my first post.
And I need opinion for purchasing new Car.
I am looking for Petrol Hatchback.
And I am extremely confused between Swift ZXI and Polo Comfortline/Highline.
Heart says Polo and Brain says Swift.
Family members got them self out of the equation saying, I need to take call as they like both the cars :(
Please share your valued views and suggestions :)
Finally, extremely sorry if I am asking query in wrong thread/forum category !
Follow your brain. Go for the Swift. 'Nuff said.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks Jihu123 and Sam for your replies.
I am really happy that I got replies for both Polo and Swift, but at the same time still confused.

Here are more details about requirement :
Planning to buy a petrol car for a family of 5.
Family members are – Mom, Dad, Wife and 1 yr old Kid.
Currently using M800 and we are using it for more than 10 yrs now (1999 model). New car will also be used for longer duration (upto 7-10 yrs). After new car, M800 wont be discontinued. Wife/Dad can keep using it.
We mainly use car for city driving and occasional long drive to my Birth Place (approx 450kms, one way). City Driving includes once or twice Home-Office-Home driving in a week.(But during monsoons, I will be using it daily). And weekend trips to central city or visits to in-laws. Yes, we used to go for short weekend trips but bacause of kid, we stopped it for time being (at least 1 year more).
My basic requirements are good mileage, low/affordable maintenance, good looks. After 2-3 years, Car should not make me feel that I have done a terrible mistake [:)]
Budget is upto Rs 6-6.5 lakh. (+/- Rs. 30K)
Planning to buy in month of April/May, 2013. But can wait for few more months, if need to wait for better/face-lifted versions.

Follow your brain. Go for the Swift. 'Nuff said.
Someone isn't too fond of VW!

My basic requirements are good mileage, low/affordable maintenance, good looks. After 2-3 years, Car should not make me feel that I have done a terrible mistake [:)]
Get Swift, suits your requirement more and much better performer in cities than polo. Is there a waiting on swift?

Thanks Jihu123 and Sam for your replies.
I am really happy that I got replies for both Polo and Swift, but at the same time still confused.

Here are more details about requirement :
Planning to buy a petrol car for a family of 5.
Family members are – Mom, Dad, Wife and 1 yr old Kid.
Currently using M800 and we are using it for more than 10 yrs now (1999 model). New car will also be used for longer duration (upto 7-10 yrs). After new car, M800 wont be discontinued. Wife/Dad can keep using it.
We mainly use car for city driving and occasional long drive to my Birth Place (approx 450kms, one way). City Driving includes once or twice Home-Office-Home driving in a week.(But during monsoons, I will be using it daily). And weekend trips to central city or visits to in-laws. Yes, we used to go for short weekend trips but bacause of kid, we stopped it for time being (at least 1 year more).
Budget is upto Rs 6-6.5 lakh. (+/- Rs. 30K)
Planning to buy in month of April/May, 2013. But can wait for few more months, if need to wait for better/face-lifted versions.

Good debate.

Swift +ves :
FE
Resale
ASS
Cheap to maintain

Polo +ves:
Premium feel
European build
Good handling

FYI - VW spares are extremely costly. Even regular service cost is higher than Maruti.

All the best.

Cheers,
Anshuman

As per your requirement, swift suits you most. VW is hard on maintenance & resale too. Also you can consider i20 for good looks, nice build, plus long feature list. Swift is more of drivers car, handling is best in class.

Thread Starter #8
Get Swift, suits your requirement more and much better performer in cities than polo. Is there a waiting on swift?
Thanks 'Rightnow'.

I have read your 'Polo' Post. And really appreciate your reply. "A Polo owner recommending Swift" - This really helping my brain to defeat my heart.
Though that battle is still in progress [;)]

Thread Starter #9
Here are more thoughts from my mind -

I really fallen for Polo looks and driving comfort. But considering my home loan and other financial responsibilities, extremely worried about Polo's maintenance cost, specially after 5 yrs. Can I really use this vehicle for next 7-10 yrs? What will be maintenance bills after use of so many years.

Resale is not a criteria for me. after 7-10 yrs, I doubt if either of the vehicle will fetch noticeable different amount.

One more query - While doing some online research, I found some of the posts saying breaking issues with Swift VXI, specially while driving with half clutch. (In bumper to bumper traffic, particularly during office hours and rainy season, one has to drive in half clutch).
I am really disappointed with huge price difference of swift ZXI compared to VXI model.

Thanks 'Rightnow'.
I have read your 'Polo' Post. And really appreciate your reply. "A Polo owner recommending Swift" - This really helping my brain to defeat my heart.
Though that battle is still in progress [;)]
What is the confusion? What do you like in polo that is leading to battle?

Really i wont suggest swift because i dont like that.
Follow your heart even though polo maintenece is costly but the looks are great.
Interior dash was awesome. Maruti suzuki braking is not that much great.
Why not to check punto and figo ?

Thread Starter #12
What is the confusion? What do you like in polo that is leading to battle?
Rightnow,
Things I liked in Polo - Exterior looks, Sedan class interiors (not impressed by all black interiors of Swift), Driving comfort (by the way, I have test driven latest highline), Solid build (dont think there will be single rattling noise even after usage of 4-5 yrs)

Things I am worried about - Can I really use this vehicle for next 7-10 yrs? What will be maintenance bills 4th-5th year onwards? (And these are the only 2 points where Swift is taking huge lead).
One more point I will like to add is - While driving, Engine noise in the cabin was marginally more audible for Polo in comparison to Swift.

Thread Starter #13
Maruti suzuki braking is not that much great.
Sam Dinakar and other Swift owners - can you please confirm above comment? Is breaking really an issue with Swift? even in top end variant?

Why not to check punto and figo ?
Both these vehicles were rejected by Family members (read females [:)] )

Honestly, I like Honda products. But they do not have right product combination [surprise] Brio is too small, ingress is a problem (specially for aged parents) and next in offering is City. No other options [anger]

Last edited:
Really speaking figo is more powered than polo.
But till today i have not compared with swift.
But the top speed and braking in high speed is best in figo.
But one can easily corner in polo at 140 kmph tooo.
Swift is never considered by me. But to say frankly once swift was a car used by higher proffesionals such as engn and doctors but now we can find in villages tooo which spoiled the image of swift. I have a thought that the car which we own should be used by high proffesionals so our car will get more respect everywhere.

Really speaking figo is more powered than polo.
But till today i have not compared with swift.
But the top speed and braking in high speed is best in figo.
But one can easily corner in polo at 140 kmph tooo.
Swift is never considered by me. But to say frankly once swift was a car used by higher proffesionals such as engn and doctors but now we can find in villages tooo which spoiled the image of swift. I have a thought that the car which we own should be used by high proffesionals so our car will get more respect everywhere.
You may dislike swift due to many reasons, but that does not make Swift an inferior car. Else Maruti/Suzuki could not have sold lakhs of pieces in India/Globally.

There are positives and negatives of each car.

Thanks,
Anshuman

Top Bottom