Mitsubishi Lancer or Cedia For Modifying?

Thread Starter #1
Okay I have been searching for an Indian automotive forum where i can discuss some of the technical aspects of cars from an engineer's POV and amongst all the Bike forums i have come across i couldnt find one single Car Forum where i could quench my thirst for details and tech gyaan and ofcourse share some of my own too. Finally i landed here today [:)]

But First i shall introduce myself. I am Nithesh, age 22(soon to be 23) and i hold a diploma in Automobile engineering and i've got one year to go before i graduate with a degree in Mechanical engineering(had to resort to it since Automotive engineers are rarely hired anymore).
So i am not a total Noob with the technical stuff about cars or bikes for that matter.

So here's my Dilemma. Dad wants to buy a car(for weekend rides mostly) and he was adament on buying a brand new I20 or the Fiat Punto(which i admire). But I have always, always been a Mitsu enthusiast ever since i came across Mitsu Evo IV/V/VI rallying in the WRC back in 98 or 99 when i was barely 8. So i have always dreamt of either owning or Building my own Evo if need be.

So i finally convinced dad into looking at the used car market since we barely go out on weekend and the car will barely clock serious miles unless i get my vacation which is roughly 2 months a year so maintenance is no issues and i can pretty much Do most of it myself.
I was pretty much looking at the 2004+ model Mitsu Lancer in the used market which i can in the span of say 5-7 years convert it into a full spec Evo VI inclusive of the AWD setup and i am well aware of the estimation of getting into such a project and the cost of it but what i'm basically saying is this car will serve as my project car 2 years from now when i get a job and have my own family car.

Then off late i have also been considering doing all the above mentioned conversions on the Cedia instead into an fully prepped VII/VIII or a IX. I know it has been accomplished by a japanese guy(and no i am not referring to the wanna-be lookalike bodykits and wheels). I know its pretty stupid considering the fact that in about 3 years the Evo X will be in the used car market for well under what i will be spending on the VI/IX conversion but it isnt an issue. I can live with that.

So what i'm trying to find out is how similar the Cedia chassis is to that of the 7/8/9? I know the Evo VI's chassis is pretty much identical to the lancer sold here minus the space for the AWD setup which isn't a factor since i know of a guy who has done a us spec mirage to evo conversion successfully and they are the same. But i know nothing about the Cedia's similarity to that of the later gen Evos. So do we have anyone from the Rally scene/ track going enthusiasts who have any knowledge about it?

Finding it really hard to find a used Cedia within the state lately. Lancers are all available in bangalore and yes can anyone recomment a Mitsu workshop where i can get the car thoroughly verified before purchasing? I know there arent many in Bangalore today.

Thanks for any help [:)]

Nithesh

p.s. sorry about my long first post [:D]

350Z

Core Team
I was pretty much looking at the 2004+ model Mitsu Lancer in the used market which i can in the span of say 5-7 years convert it into a full spec Evo VI inclusive of the AWD setup and i am well aware of the estimation of getting into such a project and the cost of it but what i'm basically saying is this car will serve as my project car 2 years from now when i get a job and have my own family car.
Welcome aboard, Nithesh. Your project sounds tempting and it will be a treat for enthusiasts like us. Would love to read more about it.

So what i'm trying to find out is how similar the Cedia chassis is to that of the 7/8/9? I know the Evo VI's chassis is pretty much identical to the lancer sold here minus the space for the AWD setup which isn't a factor since i know of a guy who has done a us spec mirage to evo conversion successfully and they are the same. But i know nothing about the Cedia's similarity to that of the later gen Evos. So do we have anyone from the Rally scene/ track going enthusiasts who have any knowledge about it?
If I’m not mistaken, Evolution VII is based on a platform which is bigger than Cedia. Guess it might be a better idea to pick up a cheap Lancer for such project.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Lancer or Cedia both have that typical DNA that any enthusiasts craves for. If you are looking for engine mods too then I'd suggest you to get your hands on a Lancer and plonk a DOHC heart in it. But that would require a lot of changes like injectors, brakes, tires, suspension, fuel rails, spark plugs plug wires etc. If too much power is not needed then go for Cedia and get a FFE and CAI along with a lighter flywheel and spend the rest on body kits.

Hooked to this thread buddy. All the best for your mods.

freakdude.

Top Bottom