Used Skoda Superb OR Hyundai Sonata Embera (Bought Skoda Laura L&K)

Thread Starter #1
I have to buy a used diesel car and these 2 cars are for sale in my region:

1. Hyundai Sonata Embera 2.0 CRDI
Color : Black , Mileage: 75000-85000 Kms , Year:2005 or 2006 , NO SERVICE RECORD.Some Denting and painting has been Done.

2. Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDI
Color:Black , Mileage: 40000-45000 KMS, Year:2005 or 2006 With Service Record.Totally Scratchless Car.Car is like brand new.

I have not yet seen any of these 2 cars personally but the dealer who told me about these is like family. My Elder brother is out of town for a week and as soon as he return i will buy one of above 2 cars.

Please help me choose the right car. Skoda Superb is in Excellent Condition with full Service Record and has also clocked very few Kilometers and would have been obvious choice if Skoda Spares were not extremely expensive. On other hand Sonata Embera is also good car but not as good as the superb.

Please can you people arrange some details of these car for me like fuel consumption by both cars, how much does the Clutch Assembly Costs in both cars and other heavy expenses that are to be made in long term owning of the car. i will be keeping the car for atleast 3 years. Can both of these cars be serviced from independent garages? Is Skoda Superb Very Expensive to maintain?What will be approximate cost of maintenance of these cars.

I have about 7 days to make a choice.Please Help me..[confused]

Thread Starter #2
Re: Used Skoda Superb OR Hyundai Sonata Embera

:offtopic:

I thought i should share my story with you people.

I use to own a Chevrolet Optra 1.6 Petrol and i had 17 inch rims on that car. I use to love it and then in 2012 i thought i will sell it and buy a Diesel Magnum.But when it was time to buy Magnum my brother called me crazy to buy same car again and got me a Tata Safari Dicor instead.[frustration]

Now i am the kind of guy who hates SUVs. I always drive in city and thankfully the roads of Chandigarh are also good. I use to drive with 215/40/17 on my Optra. For me a SUV only makes sense in a Zombie Apocalypse.Don't get me wrong Safari is a very good car for its price but i just don't like SUVs. I still miss my Optra.[cry]
Now i am given a chance to buy a Used Sedan of my choice.Please help me out.I have about 7 days to take a decision.

I have to buy a used diesel car and these 2 cars are for sale in my region:
1. Hyundai Sonata Embera 2.0 CRDI
Color : Black , Mileage: 75000-85000 Kms , Year:2005 or 2006 , NO SERVICE RECORD.Some Denting and painting has been Done.

2. Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDI
Color:Black , Mileage: 40000-45000 KMS, Year:2005 or 2006 With Service Record.Totally Scratchless Car.Car is like brand new.
I have heard problems about skoda DSG (automatic) gearbox but not for other parts. Regarding spares and maintenance, both skoda and hyundai would be at par.

By the way, why do you want to consider sonata when you do not have historic maintenance records?

350Z

Core Team

Please help me choose the right car. Skoda Superb is in Excellent Condition with full Service Record and has also clocked very few Kilometers and would have been obvious choice if Skoda Spares were not extremely expensive. On other hand Sonata Embera is also good car but not as good as the superb.
Hyundai Sonata Embera was an underdog. It is not the most involving car to drive but still I love it for the eternal design and simplistic features that it offers. Superb on the other hand, has all the bells and whistles but it comes at a cost of expensive upkeep if compared with Embera. You haven’t mentioned the prices of both. Less run and abused Sonata Embera go on sale in Delhi for as low as Rs.5.5 - 6 Lakh.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I have heard problems about skoda DSG (automatic) gearbox but not for other parts. Regarding spares and maintenance, both skoda and hyundai would be at par.
Yes, the problems have been heard on DSG gearbox especially for the petrol Superbs. Diesel Superbs gearbox is absolutely fine.

Hyundai Sonata Embera was an underdog. It is not the most involving car to drive but still I love it for the eternal design and simplistic features that it offers. Superb on the other hand, has all the bells and whistles but it comes at a cost of expensive upkeep if compared with Embera. You haven’t mentioned the prices of both. Less run and abused Sonata Embera go on sale in Delhi for as low as Rs.5.5 - 6 Lakh.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Yes, the Sonata Embera was an underdog, I did own it , (It was actually gifted by my father when i completed my Graduation in 2007). And i used it for 3 years and i liked the car but not its maintenance. There were multiple breakdowns, high service costs (upwards of 15k) and the car ran only 12000 kms. While my elder brother was gifted old Skoda Superb in 2003 which did not give him that much problems. He sold it for 11 lakhs(to be precise) despite being older model. I only managed 7 lakhs for a 3 year old model. After owning the Embera i dont feel like buying another Hyundai for their high service cost.

Coming back to the topic, i will surely buy Superb over Embera because
1. Lack of Service History (in this case)
2 Lower resale compared to Superb. (In my opinion)

Thread Starter #6

Drive Safe,
350Z
The deal for both cars will break around 5.75 lakhs

By the way, why do you want to consider sonata when you do not have historic maintenance records?
Here in Chandigarh it is very rare to find a car with full service record in market and i am assuming that the spares of sonata will be atleast half the cost of the Superb's.

Yes, the problems have been heard on DSG gearbox especially for the petrol Superbs. Diesel Superbs gearbox is absolutely fine.

Yes, the Sonata Embera was an underdog, I did own it , (It was actually gifted by my father when i completed my Graduation in 2007). And i used it for 3 years and i liked the car but not its maintenance. There were multiple breakdowns, high service costs (upwards of 15k) and the car ran only 12000 kms. While my elder brother was gifted old Skoda Superb in 2003 which did not give him that much problems. He sold it for 11 lakhs(to be precise) despite being older model. I only managed 7 lakhs for a 3 year old model. After owning the Embera i dont feel like buying another Hyundai for their high service cost.

Coming back to the topic, i will surely buy Superb over Embera because
1. Lack of Service History (in this case)
2 Lower resale compared to Superb. (In my opinion)
Can you give me an idea of the difference between the cost of maintenance between the two. A rough percentage. And can you please tell me the Fuel Economy of both cars.

Can you give me an idea of the difference between the cost of maintenance between the two. A rough percentage. And can you please tell me the Fuel Economy of both cars.

Although spares of Embera are cheaper then Superb, the same cannot be said about Service cost. The Ratio is 53:47 for Embera:Superb. since the superb lasted for 7 years, we didnt face much problems regarding spares. The same cannot be said for Embera which lasted 3 years(sold due to lack of spares).

The Superb TDi will return around 10 in city and around 13-14 on hiighways
The Sonata CRDi AT will return around 9.5 in city and 12-13 on highways.

Mine returned 11.5 on Average. While my brothers Superb returned 13.

It has to be the Skoda Superb. The TDi mill of the Superb is a gem and very enthusiastic. Further more, the Skoda Superb is far more reliable over the Sonata.

Thread Starter #9

Yesterday i had the money arranged but by the time i got there both cars were sold.[frustration]

I had my mind up for Superb.It broke my heart.I don't think i will ever find another Superb that is this clean.

I want to thank you all for helping me. Your advise really helped me out in selecting the better car but it was not in my fate.

i am still searching for a good car and will ask some more questions if i had any.i went to see a Golden Magnum today. It was 2008 LT and the condition was kinda average and had clocked 77000. I won't buy this car because of Golden color. If i will ever buy a Golden car it will be if it was in excellent condition and more over he was asking for Rs 5,50,000 which i think is over priced.

350Z

Core Team

Yesterday i had the money arranged but by the time i got there both cars were sold.
Good conditioned used cars do not stay in the market for long. You should be prepared to fetch the deal as early as possible but at the same time, ensure to maintain certain checks and precautions before committing to the seller. I have experienced this situation a couple of times now with the difference being of just a few seconds.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I was searching for used diesel Superb in Pune Mumbai recently - NOTHING. who will sale such a good cars with such a low resale value.. those cars which I've seen 70-80K on odo, does not worth of second look. Better choice would be to buy Merc C class with 28K km done for 18L then completely finished Superb for 14L.

Hmm,

That was really a great deal with that Superb buddy !! you missed it

Yeah, it is true, people hardly sell their Superb as it is an awesome car with excellent driving pleasure and have everything whatever you want, so people easily clock 100000km on those so it is really rare to get a good one with such low mileage done

Hmm,

That was really a great deal with that Superb buddy !! you missed it

Yeah, it is true, people hardly sell their Superb as it is an awesome car with excellent driving pleasure and have everything whatever you want, so people easily clock 100000km on those so it is really rare to get a good one with such low mileage done
I drive on high ways a lot and this car will not last a year for me. does not make sense to buy 60- 70K km on odo for 14L.

I'm getting new Rapid TDI elegance by next weak, will remap it after 1000km done and change stock tyres and lights in show room.
Planing to replace tyres with Michelin PRIMACY LC 195/60R 15, hope I can find it in Pune.

Thread Starter #14

I saw a dark grey Skoda Laura 1.9 Tdi with manual transmission today.The car was good overall but one thing is still bugging me.The car is not accidental for sure but i don't know why the doors close kinda strange.Its like they have lost their thud.And the front passenger door has to be closed hard to close properly.Other skoda's i've seen have pretty tight doors.Any one has any idea about this situation. Can this be fixed.

I drive on high ways a lot and this car will not last a year for me. does not make sense to buy 60- 70K km on odo for 14L.

I'm getting new Rapid TDI elegance by next weak, will remap it after 1000km done and change stock tyres and lights in show room.
Planing to replace tyres with Michelin PRIMACY LC 195/60R 15, hope I can find it in Pune.
My dear, my post was for Param3023[:)]

Top Bottom