Confusion Galore: Premium Hatch vs Entry Level Sedan

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Great to be on TAI after going through acres and acres of posts [:)]. So did a whole round of searches and test drives for buying a new car and I'm still confused. Here are the requirements and details

Would be driving a maximum of 1000km a month (hence would prefer petrol)

Majority of driving to happen on the roads of Bangalore

Would need a nice balance between driving pleasure, comfort, service costs and spares availability and FE in probably that order

Budget would be between 7-9 lakhs

Would prefer either a premium hatchback or an entry level sedan

I have already test driven the i20, Polo, Ford Classic and the Skoda Rapid. I enjoyed driving the Skoda Rapid the most but I was getting only the basic Active version within the budget and hence was eliminated.

I am now confused between the Ford Classic Titanium and the VW Polo Highline (somehow didn't enjoy the ride in the i20). The Classic offers more power and a neat set of features and I did enjoy driving it a bit more but the Polo (especially the recently launched 2013 version) offers a lot more perks (Climatronic ac, steering mounted audio controls etc )at nearly 1.25 lakhs lesser. So any suggestions between the two or even anything else in the same range (petrol of course)

Also I have only driven budget hatchbacks so far so will there be a steep learning curve on either cars although I didn't feel that much of a discomfort on the multiple test drives. Looking forward to opinions and suggestion!

ViperRulz

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Great to be on TAI after going through acres and acres of posts [:)]. So did a whole round of searches and test drives for buying a new car and I'm still confused. Here are the requirements and details

Would be driving a maximum of 1000km a month (hence would prefer petrol)

Majority of driving to happen on the roads of Bangalore

Would need a nice balance between driving pleasure, comfort, service costs and spares availability and FE in probably that order

Would prefer either a premium hatchback or an entry level sedan

I have already test driven the i20, Polo, Ford Classic and the Skoda Rapid. I enjoyed driving the Skoda Rapid the most but I was getting only the basic Active version within the budget and hence was eliminated.

I am now confused between the Ford Classic Titanium and the VW Polo Highline (somehow didn't enjoy the ride in the i20). The Classic offers more power and a neat set of features and I did enjoy driving it a bit more but the Polo (especially the recently launched 2013 version) offers a lot more perks (Climatronic ac, steering mounted audio controls etc )at nearly 1.25 lakhs lesser. So any suggestions between the two or even anything else in the same range (petrol of course)

Also I have only driven budget hatchbacks so far so will there be a steep learning curve on either cars although I didn't feel that much of a discomfort on the multiple test drives. Looking forward to opinions and suggestion!

ViperRulz
Welcome to TAI friend !! yeah it is loaded with tonnes of information and it really takes days together reading it and end of the day looks very confusing that what to select[lol] I understand this very well.

So, based on whatever you have mentioned about your requirement and choices shortlisted there. I suggest you to take a test drive of JAZZ and then write your opinions once again here so we could draw some conclusion buddy[:)]

Welcome to TAI friend !! yeah it is loaded with tonnes of information and it really takes days together reading it and end of the day looks very confusing that what to select[lol] I understand this very well.

So, based on whatever you have mentioned about your requirement and choices shortlisted there. I suggest you to take a test drive of JAZZ and then write your opinions once again here so we could draw some conclusion buddy[:)]
+1 for Jazz, that is one beauty. Better mileage, better looking and better space.

If you dont mind waiting there is a launch of Ford Ecosport anytime(dont ask me when) it might be a worth wait till then[:)]

Hi Everyone,

I am now confused between the Ford Classic Titanium and the VW Polo Highline
Welcome to the forum!

You have a good budget, I would suggest you get a more powerful car than the polo.
Polo tsi (with better engine 1.2 tsi or 1.4 tsi) is gonna be launched soon with automatic gearbox, which should make perfect choice if you are keen on polo. If you can wait, then go for it.

I haven't driven rapid or fiesta but they both are great cars. Fellow members can suggest better.

+1 for Jazz, that is one beauty. Better mileage, better looking and better space.

If you dont mind waiting there is a launch of Ford Ecosport anytime(dont ask me when) it might be a worth wait till then[:)]
+100, Indian, yes Ecosport would be good, but two things about Ford, its pricing [confused] and its FE if it is a petrol(I have some pathetic experience of FE on ford petrols )

+100, Indian, yes Ecosport would be good, but two things about Ford, its pricing [confused] and its FE if it is a petrol(I have some pathetic experience of FE on ford petrols )

Your are right Gurrala, the FE not known at this point. But if opting for Ecoboost engine I think that should be almost comparable to diesel counter part. But pricing again unknown. But If the OP is ready to wait then may be good option.

You can consider Honda City also in this budget, Corporate Ed and EMT (with current ongoing discount) will be around 9L OTR (Bangalore).Honda city comes with all security features and very good fuel efficiency (depends on your driving style,a few people are getting 16+ also).

Thread Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. This is why TAI is great! I have a friend who works at Ford, Chennai who was also pushing very hard for the Ecosport. Love the looks and at the same expected budget range (7-9 lakhs) the features and drive experience almost seems too good to be true. The problem - I asked for it at the Ford dealers (Metro, Bangalore) and they didn't expect it to be available anytime before April (for delivery). That's too long a wait.

I wanted to test drive the Jazz but couldn't find a showroom with a test drive model when I had gone about a month back and they seemed very disinterested about selling it almost acting like it was not going to be in production for long (is that really the case?). They were pushing me to drive the Brio instead which I was not interested in at all. Also what is the delivery time expected for the Jazz in Bangalore ? I would prefer to get on the road by the end of Feb or March 1st week. I had no idea about the City in that budget-will definitely find out about that.

I would have ideally loved the Polo 1.6 but that has sadly been discontinued as well (the show room guy was like, it was eating into the Vento's sales -What???). Rightnow - Any news on when the 1.4 TSI is coming out cause the showroom people had no clue. If sometime in March can consider the wait :D. The current Polo I agree, is sadly underpowered with the 3 pot engine but the feature upgrade and the new looks are top notch (love the smoked headlights) on top of the fact that it is in the lower spectrum of the budget. (looking to upgrade my two wheeler to a Duke 200/390 or a CBR 250 at the end of the year so saving up for that as well [;)].

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. This is why TAI is great! I have a friend who works at Ford, Chennai who was also pushing very hard for the Ecosport. Love the looks and at the same expected budget range (7-9 lakhs) the features and drive experience almost seems too good to be true. The problem - I asked for it at the Ford dealers (Metro, Bangalore) and they didn't expect it to be available anytime before April (for delivery). That's too long a wait.

I wanted to test drive the Jazz but couldn't find a showroom with a test drive model when I had gone about a month back and they seemed very disinterested about selling it almost acting like it was not going to be in production for long (is that really the case?). They were pushing me to drive the Brio instead which I was not interested in at all. Also what is the delivery time expected for the Jazz in Bangalore ? I would prefer to get on the road by the end of Feb or March 1st week. I had no idea about the City in that budget-will definitely find out about that.

I would have ideally loved the Polo 1.6 but that has sadly been discontinued as well (the show room guy was like, it was eating into the Vento's sales -What???). Rightnow - Any news on when the 1.4 TSI is coming out cause the showroom people had no clue. If sometime in March can consider the wait :D. The current Polo I agree, is sadly underpowered with the 3 pot engine but the feature upgrade and the new looks are top notch (love the smoked headlights) on top of the fact that it is in the lower spectrum of the budget. (looking to upgrade my two wheeler to a Duke 200/390 or a CBR 250 at the end of the year so saving up for that as well [;)].
Hey that is a nice crisp summing up whole discussion man[clap]

Yeah, ES is very tempting and even I think of such a urban SUV for my next upgrade too !! but two things one is pricing needs to be seen and also yes the launch is getting delayed as you said.

For Honda Jazz and such a pathetic response from Honda guys and that to be in a city like Bangalore, very surprising to me. I do not have any information about Jazz getting discontinued as of now and Jazz is very well available for a TD in few minutes in Hyderabad and even deliveries are not that late. It is a wonderful premium hatch back, but sales seems to be low in Hyderabad as I do not know about other places. This is mainly because most of the people try and go for a entry level sedan than a premium hatchback at that price which is a simple human tendency to have a caaaaaaaaaaaaaar[:)] than just car

I agree with Gurrala74 suggestion on the Jazz as you need a petrol too, it has boot space nearly matching some of the so called entry level sedans of today.
Just find a better dealer for a TD.

Thread Starter #12
Please let us know heights and built and number of people travelling in the car most of the time.
Also how is your driving style ? Fast, sedate, careful,?

I hope you must have read this thread
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...between-premium-hatchbacks-budget-sedans.html
Also,
What is the condition of the roads you frequent ? Narrow, broad, bumpy , potholed?
I would say medium built 5'10 and mostly just me and the wife although occasionally may have 4 people in the car. My driving style I would describe as sedate more than anything although I would push the car on open stretches that demand them.

The roads are a mixture of broad roads and bumpy potholed ones

The consensus seems to be to test the Jazz. Will TD the Jazz next week and post an update soon . Thanks for the suggestion guys!

The Honda sales may be pushing Brio due to pending stock in the garage.
Jazz is the best premium hatchback in the market at the moment

You could also consider Punto for your budget.

City Corporate:
Showroom price: 744722
Insurance: 19693
RTO + Handling: 124230
Essential kit: 3000
Extended warrenty + RSA : 11750
OTR (Bangalore): 903395
Source: Whitefield Honda website

As per recent newspapers ad seems like Honda is offering free insurance and corporate discount (total 30000 to 35000), if this offer is still valid then I would suggest to go for City than Jazz.

Top Bottom