Chevrolet Beat Diesel or Ford Figo?

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I am happy and excited to be a member of TheAutomobileIndia :)

I am from Bangalore. I am planning to buy a car (We already have classic fiesta at home. Now I want one for myself [:)] ).

My Requirements:
1. Value for Money Car and least initial investment cost(Beat Diesel)
2. Fun to Drive (Figo)
3. Low Maintenance and Good Fuel Economy (Beat)
4. Decent spacing (even though mostly it will be 2 people in the car. rarely 5people. I prefer one with good leg room, under thigh support, lumbar-support and decent boot space for weekend getaway) (Figo)
5. Good resale value (Might plan to upgrade to sedan or lite-suv 10 years down the line [:)] ) (Figo or Beat?)
6. Quality (Beat?)

I will drive ~30kms daily on city. Highway drive might be once a month (Bangalore to Tamil Nadu mostly).

I am planning to buy by 3 to 4 months. My budget is around 5.5 to 6 L onroad Bangalore. I have short listed base model of Figo Diesel (LXI) and Beat Diesel (PS). I am confused here.

My last option is Spark LS. Yes this car falls under different segment. But its initial cost is significantly less. The extra money I spend on petrol might be same as the extra EMI I pay for a diesel car. Looks like spark is a great handler (driver's car) and feels solid. Importantly my wife likes spark !!

I am planning to do test drive on Feb for all the three cars.

Concerns with Beat Diesel?
* Less comfort and poor leg room
* Less boot space
* Under powered?
* Shakey engine (Saw in a video at idle speed the engine was shaking like anything? ) This looks scary if I have to drive this car for 10+ years - [Deal Breaker]
* Less Resale value?
* Not a drivers car like Ford's?

Concerns with Figo?
* More investment cost ~30ks more than Beat [Deal Breaker]
* Low FE
* More Maintenance than Beat?
* Less features when compared with Beat (both base models)
* Bad quality than Beat?

My heart says Beat, My rational part of mind says Figo [;)]

Experts, your valuable thoughts, advice and suggestions please?

Thank you !!

Re: Beat Diesel or Ford Figo ?

Hi, I suggest you TD both the vehicles and decide. Beat is not at all a driver's car and the low seating position also is a cause for concern with some drivers.

Quality wise both might be same, but since you are looking at a time frame of 10 years, to me a 4 cylinder engine would be more reliable than a 3 cylinder one.

on the FE front, Beat slightly edges out Figo, but since you already have a classic, I am not sure you would like the Beat after driving your current car.

Resale is moot at this point, all cars -- even marutis will fetch more or less the same amount after 10 years.

If there is a comparison between figo and Beat, I would go for FIGO. Figo more fun to drive, It will have 4 pot engine. You will have more room in it.
It is a perfect highway runner. May be it is less FE then beat but still if you will take driving pleasure into account, Figo is far better.

Hi! According to me FIGO will be better for your requirement. It will be comfortable for long drive. It is easy to maintain too. It will be the after choice for long term use. Anyway have a test drive and then come to a good conclusion. Awaiting for your New car review.

Ford FIGO is relatively a ROBUST vehicle than Beat.

1. FIGO shares the same chassis as that of the FIESTA CLASSIC (its the suspension set up that makes FIGO a bit low than fiesta)

2. When Ford 1.4 Diesel engine is driven at 80 KMPH the RPM is @ 2000 ( Where us in Swift DDiS RPM is at 1750-1800 at 80KMPH)

Not sure whats for Beat D - Check that out. Coz lower RPM at higher speed will lead to more longevity to the engine pistons.

3.Beat Boot space is a curse! Cannot be compared with FIGO.

4. Once had a conversation with a Mechanic about suzuki DDis VS Beat Diesel (Since both have common fiat origin)

He mentioned that 1.3 DDis will have a more engine life because of some metal components being used (forgot the name).
he told those components were replaced in Beat D by a substitute material for reducing the cost.

5. If you plan to clock more miles go for FIGO - The engine is proven.
My brothers Fiesta Classic Diesel clocked 80,000+ in less than 2 years of ownership and the engine is as good as new. (He drives @ 80 - 100 / some times at 120)

6. But for a second car - you can go for Beat D also.

Also look into service station rating in your town for the above two car companies.

Thats very important if you want to have a healthy car for the next 10 years.

7. If you like to drive your car at high speeds in highways - Do test drive the SWIFT DDis, the engine is a killer - you need to experience the pickup form 80 Km to 120 KM mark in 5th gear. its the best in class.

(DDis pickup FEEL is good - the same fiat multijets used in vista & punto donot have the punch - dont know why!)

Both Figo & Beat D - will lose out to swift.

But - I will recommend FIGO - If your usage will be in city condition for most of the time.

Wishes for your new purchase,

Regards
Om

Thread Starter #7
Chevrolet is giving huge discount for 2012 model. Free insurance, 10ks discount. Base variant comes at 5,39,000/- On road Bangalore. I was tempted to go for it.

I took test drive of Beat Diesel yesterday. It was disappointing. To my surprise handling was good and I didnt feel any turbo-lag at all. I see engine reeving at 1000rpm+ even at idealing. May be because throttle it opened a bit even at low RPM to compensate for low powered 3 cylinder diesel engine? Pickup was good and noise level inside is very satisfactory. Suspension was soft and good for city driving. Breaks were too good and Gear shift was better and smooth than our Ford Classic.

BUT,
the look and style didn't impressed me. A closeup look of the car was not to my taste. Neither of my family members liked it. I felt seat comfort was horrible. Back seat felt like a wooden bench and too short (in length). It was hard. I felt an auto seat is way comfortable to sit than that. May be I am comparing with our Ford Classic. So I am planning to take a test drive of Figo tomorrow.
Drive seat too is not comfortable to me. Disappointed with under-thigh support. The drive seating was very odd. I felt like sitting inside a small pit or something. Road visibility was not good for me too. When entering inside my head smashed against the top roof. I do agree with others who complain Beat is not a practical car. Dashboard style didn't impress me either.

In my case if I go for Beat base variant instead of Figo, I will save around 60ks. But I am afraid that I may regret buying it latter.

Figo base variant dosent come with remote boot opener, central locking and Engine Immobilizer. Those are must have for me. EXI variant costs around 40ks more. Is it worth going for EXI?

Also I am planning to take a test drive of Punto Diesel base variant too.
Punto base variant comes with music system, central locking and some goodies that is good. My budget is around 6. So Punto is kinda off my budget; but looks like worth a try. Shift diesel is off my budget too :(

Chevrolet is giving huge discount for 2012 model. Free insurance, 10ks discount. Base variant comes at 5,39,000/- On road Bangalore. I was tempted to go for it.

I took test drive of Beat Diesel yesterday. It was disappointing. To my surprise handling was good and I didnt feel any turbo-lag at all. I see engine reeving at 1000rpm+ even at idealing. May be because throttle it opened a bit even at low RPM to compensate for low powered 3 cylinder diesel engine? Pickup was good and noise level inside is very satisfactory. Suspension was soft and good for city driving. Breaks were too good and Gear shift was better and smooth than our Ford Classic.

BUT,
the look and style didn't impressed me. A closeup look of the car was not to my taste. Neither of my family members liked it. I felt seat comfort was horrible. Back seat felt like a wooden bench and too short (in length). It was hard. I felt an auto seat is way comfortable to sit than that. May be I am comparing with our Ford Classic. So I am planning to take a test drive of Figo tomorrow.
Drive seat too is not comfortable to me. Disappointed with under-thigh support. The drive seating was very odd. I felt like sitting inside a small pit or something. Road visibility was not good for me too. When entering inside my head smashed against the top roof. I do agree with others who complain Beat is not a practical car. Dashboard style didn't impress me either.

In my case if I go for Beat base variant instead of Figo, I will save around 60ks. But I am afraid that I may regret buying it latter.

Figo base variant dosent come with remote boot opener, central locking and Engine Immobilizer. Those are must have for me. EXI variant costs around 40ks more. Is it worth going for EXI?

Punto base variant comes with music system, central locking and some goodies that is good. My budget is around 6. So Punto is kinda off my budget; but looks like worth a try. Shift diesel is off my budget too :(
welcome,

i would suggest to take your decision only after test driving punto as you are planning for the car for 10 years.
The engine is a major difference there.punto engine is more proven.
The beat engine though 3 cylinder comes from fiat too,but not sure how much kms it can with stand.
The ford engine/pump has registered problems/defects after 75000kms.
The maintenance cost is almost same on these three cars.
All these cars are not known for its resale.

Last edited:

BUT,

If you do a little bit of research and shopping around (& be a little patient), you probably will be able to get Figo well within your budget (comparable to what they are quoting you for Beat).
I recently bought Dec 2012 Figo Titanium (booked 20th Jan and delivered on 2 Feb) and trust me I got a deal comparable with the top Beat model (LTO). So shop around a little.
Also do consider that dealer would only give discounts on 2012 models that they have left in stock so you might not get a good deal on the exact variant you are looking for. Best thing is to do a TD and then wait for the SA to give you a call. Then you can bargain saying that the other dealer is offering you a lower amount. Take your time and dont make it a impulse purchase.

According to me both are useless cars, try Sail UVA if you want a hatch back or if finances permit then drive and see the UVA sail sedan or Manza club class[:)]

This beat maintenance offers tempts me and my father a lot to go and book immediately, but as we are in the line of buying 5+ seater we did not consider it.

Okay as you tell that your daily driving in cities is 30 kms, then why should you buy the diesel?

I think petrol makes good sense here, because the upkeep costs and loan, EMI's would be higher in diesels. Moreover Petrol hatches offered in India has a good mileage figures and are very competitive.

I felt Figo's steering and handling was heavy(maybe because i'm accustomed to Maruti's EPS). The ingress/egress is very low and causes the older people to get into it a bit difficult.

According to me both are useless cars, try Sail UVA if you want a hatch back or if finances permit then drive and see the UVA sail sedan or Manza club class[:)]
[surprise], both the cars are way beyond the said budget sir! where Sail base model D costs 7 lakhs and Manza club class around 10 lakhs! I would recommend Ritz in this case, but Beat LS makes more sense when compared here.

[surprise], both the cars are way beyond the said budget sir! where Sail base model D costs 7 lakhs and Manza club class around 10 lakhs! I would recommend Ritz in this case, but Beat LS makes more sense when compared here.
Vishwas,

To be frank both these cars do not offer you good space or look cramped to me, yes Figo can give some good space, but again I felt it is cramped without proper head room and its suspension is really problem on bad roads and speed breakers.

Also thread started said the budget upto 6 L, and Sail U VA may be around a lakh more, but it is really amazing all the departments[:)] Yes a Ritz/Vista also makes lot of sense for his requirements

Vishwas,

To be frank both these cars do not offer you good space or look cramped to me, yes Figo can give some good space, but again I felt it is cramped without proper head room and its suspension is really problem on bad roads and speed breakers.

Also thread started said the budget upto 6 L, and Sail U VA may be around a lakh more, but it is really amazing all the departments[:)] Yes a Ritz/Vista also makes lot of sense for his requirements
He is planning a punto test drive too.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Thank you all for your reply !

I took the test drive of Figo Diesel. It was amazing. Ride quality was impressive, front seat was comfortable and I felt back seat is best of hatch. Handling was great. Steering was bit tight than Beat. But no complains to me. I took a long drive in Outer-Ring-Road, Bangalore, steering feedback was amazing. I felt acceleration was good than our family Classic Fiesta itself :)

They are offering good corporate discount if I book the car in the name of my wife who is working in GE. They are giving additional discount and some free accessories for 2012 model. Looks very attractive to me.

There is no offers or discount for Punto so I am thinking no point in taking a test drive unless I can stretch my budget by another 70ks or so.

Thread Starter #15
welcome,

i would suggest to take your decision only after test driving punto as you are planning for the car for 10 years.
The engine is a major difference there.punto engine is more proven.
The beat engine though 3 cylinder comes from fiat too,but not sure how much kms it can with stand.
The ford engine/pump has registered problems/defects after 75000kms.
The maintenance cost is almost same on these three cars.
All these cars are not known for its resale.
I like the look of Punto too. It looks very solid and offer better space and better engine. But its kind of very off my budget. For Figo there are attractive offers.

Top Bottom