New Hatchback Around Rs.6 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm in a search of a new car around 6 lakhs. I would be travelling around 500 kms in a month, so preferring petrol. Will be travelling a lot in rugged roads, so need a car which performs well in such conditions and yet fuel efficient.

Please advice.

Thread Starter #2
Not able to decide between these cars [confused]

1. Maruti Ritz
2. Fiat Punto
3. Hyundai i20

Please tell me which one would be better.

Any other suggestions are also welcome :)

Thread Starter #4
Top Priorities: Mileage, maintainability(considering the bad roads as well),Comfort,VFM.
Monthly Running: 500kms
Fuel type :Petrol

@Adarsh

Welcome to TAI !!

Looking at your requirements, especially when you say it has to handle rugged roads, then you need a vehicle with bit hard suspension and maintenance free too, Since I use Ritz diesel it fits for all those parameters, but I am not sure of petrol Ritz FE. Punto is also a good car, but I do not have its FE figures

Swift,I20 or brio.
Brio and Swift are FE,120 is VFM and comfortable.
Brio and Swift are indeed FE. i20 cannot be termed VFM or comfortable/spacious because it is the most expensive of the Trio.
In my opinion, i20 is only good in terms of Styling and Features and not on other factors. I did even have i20 for 3 years.

Here is a quick OTR Prices
Brio VMT (ABS + 2 Airbags) 6.51 lakhs
Swift ZXi (ABS + 2 Airbags) 7.06 lakhs
i20 Sportz (ABS + 1 Airbag) 7.13 lakhs

Hi Guys,

I'm in a search of a new car around 6 lakhs. I would be travelling around 500 kms in a month, so preferring petrol. Will be travelling a lot in rugged roads, so need a car which performs well in such conditions and yet fuel efficient.

Please advice.
Lets first consider Ride Quality, here are the top 5 riding cars
1. VW Polo
2. Tata Vista(only considered for ride quality, petrol engine is not available)
3. Ford Figo
4. Fiat Punto
5. Maruti Swift

Why not i20 because it is good at low speeds, but at high speeds it does pitch a lot. Handling is also not as good as its rivals.

In terms of Fuel Efficiency, here are the top 5 most fuel efficient cars
1. Honda Brio 19.4 kmpl
2. Maruti Swift 18.6 kmpl
3. Hyundai i20 17.9 kmpl
4. VW Polo 16.6 kmpl
5. Ford Figo 15.4 kmpl

In terms of Spaciousness and Comfort, here are the top 5 cars
1. Ford Figo
2. Honda Brio
3. Hyundai i20
4. Maruti Swift
5. VW Polo.

So my list comes down to the following cars

VW Polo (Ride, Handling, Looks)
Honda Brio(Engine, AT Option, Reliability, FE)
Ford Figo(Space, Comfort, Ride)

You choose which you like most.

Last edited:
For ride quality punto comes behind polo, vista and figo. Hilarious. Mate did you ever ride a punto?
Yes i have test driven the Punto but found the Ride on Diesel one far better then Petrol version. I had TD 1.4 Fire Petrol engine and a 1.3 Multijet Emotion variant. Tyres are likely to be blamed as the petrol had low profile tyres and diesel had high profile tyres.

All in all since we are talking about Petrol versions here the Punto comes slightly behind Polo, Vista, Figo.

Low profile tyres ??? Please give more insight to it
Am sharing the spec from fiat page itself. As for spec there is no changes between an Emotion version of diesel and petrol in tyre spec.
By ride am assuming ride quality and believe you not talking abount engine spec and driving manners which again punto is far ahead.
please test drive punto and come with a more valid reason to bash it [;)] . Seriously this is the first person i saw commenting about the ride quality due to change in engine options in punto.

Attachments

Last edited:
Low profile tyres ??? Please give more insight to it
Am sharing the spec from fiat page itself. As for spec there is no changes between an Emotion version of diesel and petrol in tyre spec.
By ride am assuming ride quality and believe you not talking abount engine spec and driving manners which again punto is far ahead.
please test drive punto and come with a more valid reason to bash it [;)] . Seriously this is the first person i saw commenting about the ride quality due to change in engine options in punto.
The spec you are sharing is of the updated 2012 version in which the Diesel Emotion variants tyre size was increased from 165/80 R14 to 195/60 R15. Even the small difference in tyre size makes a lot of difference in the Ride. Not only Punto but even Swift which i had for 5 years. Mine was VDi Trim which came with 165/80 R14 and after the new Swift was launched i had TD it, it was a ZDi variant and despite softened suspension, the ride was not as good as my Swift. Different Tyre Sizes, Suspension setup all make difference to Ride Quality. Yes i do agree Punto is Good Handler, Infact Handling has been Punto's forte.

Last edited:
Bio, if it delivers a 19.5 kmph. It looks good,new in the market and have a chance of good resale in future as it comes from honda. i20, think thrice. good luck.

Hi
If you are commenting on some thing please make it more specific.Here the question is not on the factors affecting ride quality(every one knows suspenison, tyres size all matters atleast this is an automotive forum) instead you posting a false info. You are comparing 2012 version of all cars, so why you are comparing a new 2012 version with an 2011 version. I have 2011 version punto emotion pack with R15/195 profile tyres and its petrol. As of now only change is there is no emotion pack but only emotion variants. Be more specific next time so it helps others instead of simply posting wrong info that ride quality of diesel is better than petrol but with out sharing the reasons.

Last edited:
Mate did you ever ride a punto?
Hey dude, just chill. Everyone has right to say whatever they feel. No car is best. One car good for someone may feel bad to other one, whats wrong in that? Why you are taking all this personally? And 'far ahead' means what? Do you think the commuter car like Punto is a supercar or what? That is also just a 6-7 lakh rupee costing car thats it.

Yes, there was time when only Fiat cars used to be good due to lack of competition but now there lot of cars which can beat Punto in many departments so whats wrong in that? Polo, Fabia, Figo etc are very good cars. In some department Punto may score better then them but they also score better in many other departments. Not necessary that everyone like the Punto like how you like it [;)]

Lets not hijack this thread by unnecessarily converting it into another Fiat praising thread and let other people share there opinion on suggesting cars to the OP.

Top Bottom