Which Car to choose?

• Chevrolet Spark LT

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Wagon R VXI

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
I am out in the market looking for a small hatchback for my family (wife and kid).

> Your Budget: max 5 Lakhs OTR
> New or Used: New
> Your Location: Mumbai
> Top Five Priorities: Decent looks, peppy, fun to drive, decent mileage
> Monthly Running: max 500 kms all in Mumbai City, rare highway runs (Western Express Highway is not a "Highway")
> Type of Fuel: Petrol
> For What Purpose: Office commute, weekends to malls etc.
> Seating Capacity: me wife and kid
> Type of Segment: Hatchback

I have test-driven Wagon R, Brio, Sail, Spark

Brio: Rejected as didn't like the ride at the rear seat
Sail: Too big, need a small mouse for the city

It has boiled down to a direct shootout between Wagon R and Spark

Chevy Spark LT
OTR 4.62L, 40k discount of I opt for car manufactured in 2012, 2013 model has 25k cash discount.
2012 Model: 4.22L
2013 Model: 4.37L

• Silent cabin
  • Superb brakes, good ride quality considering the size
  • Hydraulic PS, love the feel
  • Most comfortable to drive
  • Updated looks, its not feminine anymore, looks smart

Dislikes:
  • Minuscule IRVM (Can we fit a larger IRVM from Sail? ORVMS are good)
  • Lack of engine immobiliser, can we retrofit it with something from Autocop?
  • No headrests at the back, I don't need them but occasional guests might be bothered
  • Gear lever felt cheap
  • Left knee fouls with the dashboard (I am 5' 10")
  • Doubts about maintenance and mileage over the long run, after 3 years once warranty expires.

Wagon R VXI
OTR: 5.85L

• Drivability on par with Spark
  • M.A.S.S

Dislikes:
  • Boxy looks
  • Not stable over bad roads
  • Engine noise at high RPM
  • Remote locking integrated into the key feels really cheap

So finally here is my assessment

Looks: Spark > Wagon R
Space: Wagon R > Spark
Engine refinement: Spark > Wagon R
Mileage: ??? Are both equal?
Maintenance: ??? Are both equal?
Handling: Spark > Wagon R
Quality of interiors: Spark > Wagon R
Price: Spark > Wagon R ( 60k diff, may be can extract more from Chevy sales?)
VFM: Spark > Wagon ???

So guys this makes Spark LT the obvious choice.

Now comes the points which create confusion
  • Everyone I talk to suggests Wagon R over Spark due to the Maruti vs Chevrolet factor
  • Both Wagon R and Spark were almost equally fun to drive
  • The unknown factor called Chevrolet A.S.S
  • Maintenance and service costs for Spark
  • Mileage in bumper to bumper traffic of Mumbai ( both for Wagon R and Spark)

Its over to you guys, need your help in finalizing my ride for the next 6 years...

Last edited:
Some more pictures of the gear knob to drool over ! from www.DX.com, l
@sp22 , please go through above mentioned post and link given in it for your gearknob dilemma.

2012 India Customer Service Index (CSI) Study | J.D. Power Autos
For your chevy ASS , please go through above mentioned link and the link provided in Rightnow's post.
But do not rely fully on these surveys , please go through chevy ownership reviews on this forum from owners who hail from your city.

Hi all,
I am out in the market looking for a small hatchback for my family (wife and kid).

> Your Budget: max 5 Lakhs OTR

> Top Five Priorities: decent mileage
> Monthly Running: s (Western Express Highway is not a "Highway")
> Type of Fuel: Petrol

> Seating Capacity: me wife and kid

Chevy Spark LT
OTR 4.62L, 40k
Please find out the manufacturing month of the chevy 2112 model bcoz it is important to know it so as to decide about adequacy of the discount offered .

Please let us know age of the kid, car previously owned/used by you.

AFA, irvm is concerned, chevy won't allow you sail's irvm.You can fit a add on irvm with integrated reverse parking sensors or screen of reverse cam or 2 in 1 irvm on existing
irvm.
As your budget is 5 l , how you are going to manage 5.85 l for wagonr?

If your legs are touching the dash of spark , it is most important negative thing than the other mentioned by you against spark.

AFA engine aftemarket engine immobiliser is concerned , I do not think it is possible but my knowledge on it is inadequate.But if you happen to buy a car without it, you will have to opt for zero depreciation insurance with little more premium s.

AFA, mileage is concerned , wagonr wins again over spark but remember that whatever FE figures quoted by MSIL are mentioned by ARAI are l ideal condition figures so RWUP of your usual route won't give you same figures.

After reading and studying my post , please come up with fresh questions.

Please let us know age of the kid

Thread Starter #3
@sp22 , please go through above mentioned post and link given in it for your gearknob dilemma.
I meant the entire gear shift lever and not the knob.

2012 India Customer Service Index (CSI) Study | J.D. Power Autos
For your chevy ASS , please go through above mentioned link and the link provided in Rightnow's post.
But do not rely fully on these surveys , please go through chevy ownership reviews on this forum from owners who hail from your city.
Thanks for the link, Its good to see that Chevy is third. I have read the ownership reviews of Spark on the forum. This along with the fact that Spark received a facelift has brought it into my consideration.

Please find out the manufacturing month of the chevy 2112 model bcoz it is important to know it so as to decide about adequacy of the discount offered .
I will check the VIN before buying the car. Spark received the facelift in October, hence it cant be older than October.

Please let us know age of the kid, car previously owned/used by you.
I currently own a pre-owned Esteem, which I had bought to learn driving.
My kid is just 3 months old.

AFA, irvm is concerned, chevy won't allow you sail's irvm.You can fit a add on irvm with integrated reverse parking sensors or screen of reverse cam or 2 in 1 irvm on existing
irvm.
I feel that IRVM with reverse parking are dark and may hamper during night, am I right?? I will check the link for accessories.

As your budget is 5 l , how you are going to manage 5.85 l for wagonr?
The OTR for Wagon R was a typo. I meant 4.85L

If your legs are touching the dash of spark , it is most important negative thing than the other mentioned by you against spark.
I was initially sitting a bit forward and sliding the seat back was much better. I have called for a second test drive tomorrow to re-check the same.

AFA engine aftemarket engine immobiliser is concerned , I do not think it is possible but my knowledge on it is inadequate.But if you happen to buy a car without it, you will have to opt for zero depreciation insurance with little more premium s.
I plan to take zero dep, atleast initially.

AFA, mileage is concerned , wagonr wins again over spark but remember that whatever FE figures quoted by MSIL are mentioned by ARAI are l ideal condition figures so RWUP of your usual route won't give you same figures.
Yeah, it would be foolish to expect ARAI mileage figures, but if the difference is around 2kms to a litre, it would be quite acceptable, considering Spark is a 4 cylinder and Wagon R is a 3 cylinder engine.

Last edited:
I meant the entire gear shift lever and not the knob.

Thanks for the link, Its good to see that Chevy is third.

I will check the VIN before buying the car. Spark received the facelift in October, hence it cant be older than October.
My kid is just 3 months old.

I plan to take zero dep, atleast initially
Yeah, i.
Please elaborate on gear lever, it seems you are unhappy with gearbox.

If the kid is 3 months old, it is better to go for wagonr as its mother will have enter and alight from the car with baby inhands or on the shoulder so the head room and height of wagonr will be convineant for her than spark.Also , it is easier to change the kid's clothes due to enormous space inside.
Afa chevy's number 3 is concerned , it was in 2011 , please check 2012 link, you would be surprised to see the rank.
AFA insurance is concerned , you will have to take zero dep cover throughout the ownership as the car without immobiliser is prone for theft any time not just initially.

Hi !
One of my friend has WAGON R for last 4 Year and it has never given any problem to him. It is reliable , low maintenance , comfortable , tall boy car and easy to drive too.
I Have driven it quiet a few number of times and I felt very easy to handle.

I have a WagonR and the most important feature i felt (considering the elders as well) was the wide opening doors, the doors do open wide and the tall boy stance helps everyone to climb in and out easily. but the boot space is low, can be compensated if you fold down the split seat.
Also the tilt steering will surely help you.
I have also TD ed many cars before settling on the WagonR, i too had a problem of my knee scraping against the gear console or dash board (i am 180cm).
don't expect it to zoom in and out of the traffic bu it won't let you down.
As for engine noise at high RPM i haven't gone above3k RPM till now.
You can opt for CNG too, if you are not particular about the boor space.
kindly read the ownership reviews
paragthegreat
kannan
SandeepK

Hi !
One of my friend has WAGON R for last 4 Year .
@ADS 99 , you are probably talking of MPFI , and the thread starter is talking of K series.

I have a WagonR and the most important feature i felt (considering the elders as well) was the wide opening doors, the doors do open wide and the tall boy stance helps everyone to climb in and out easily
This is helpful for nursing mothers too.

As a spark owner, I would like to tell few things.

+ive points
  • Looks very good
  • Noiceless cabin. so many times i have tried to crank unknowingly when the engine is on.
  • Driving is very smooth.
  • Cabin space is not that bad [Do not know about Wagan-R]

-ive points
  • As mentioned above, left knee touches the dash. But I take it as advantage as I can just rest my left leg sometimes [:)]
  • FE - I do not know whether my ride is bad or all sparks. Mine gives 10-12 in petrol and 8-10 in LPG. After my recent service when i checked for first time in LPG it gave me nearly 12.11[in city]. am waiting for my next check to confirm
  • ASS is okie. I wont say good. [might be problem with my executive also]
  • The worst thing is beige dash board reflection in windscreen. I hate this part very much.
  • Power steering is not upto the mark. I drove my freinds beat last month and I felt lot of difference between spark and beat. Spark is little bit harder. When I check with ASS they said this is in spark.. Beat has electronic PS.
  • GC is less. with five of us we almost hit all speed breakers [Our norms for speed breakers is one painful thing]

Quest to Suku
  • Can you please explain the following points
  • Problem with Gear shift. You have mentioned it looks cheap, but it is fully covered with leather cover. Sorry if I did n't understand your point
  • Regarding IVRM, I felt it is perfect.

Suggestion to Suku
  • if you feel the IVRM is not okie you can always go with camera at rear and small 3.5 inch screen at front. actually am planing this for some time. Mainly because, I have roof fixed LCD monitor for viewing movies [Mostly My kidos love that]. So I feel I miss somthing [even though i have learnt to manage with two side OVRMs], so planing for 3.5 screen alone, already I have reverse camera [it has stopped working recently[frustration], need to check]

Why dont you TD the LE Nano Lx[confused]....with ur family and elders?....for your limited driving. The Nano now comes with all the Bells & Whistles and the Limited Edition is great VFM[clap]

all the best

regards

Vinod

Chevrolet Spark Owners is a small but very satisfied community.
The things that really went against buying a Wagon R when I was looking to buy was
1. The looks
2. Stability at high speeds

I chose Chevrolet because
1. Looks way better than Wagon
2. Very easy to drive in City
3. No Ownership cost for 3 years. Its been 2 years since I purchased my car and I only had to pay for a puncture. My wipers have been replaced and also some ball bearings near the clutch to reduce the noise when I was pressing it down.

The things that might work against Spark
1. I never faced a problem on a highway..so thts something to be taken into account. How is their "reach" and how fast do they respond
2. I consider wagonr to have the best steering in the small hatch class

Lastly, I hate both the gear systems..Sparks and WagonRs...They're not much different. I dont know if there has been any improvement in the latest models.

-TDK

2012 manufactured vehicles would fetch you more discounts any given day if you ever finalise to book that year manufactured car, do bargain hard for that.WagonR, you get company fitted cng kit on its Lxi variant, if you have plan to convert your ride into cng, this is the best kit from manufactured company,costs some 5.03L on road with discounts would be around your budget.I brought hyundai i10 few days back and thats within your said budget as well,its a good round car to drive within city and highway with good interiors.Two engine options available as well.

Dear suku if you have a 5L budget and if you are ready for chevy then go for beat diesel with the service package.
The base model cost(in kerala) is 499999 on road.
For three years/45000kms you get all the consumables and service free, and a clutch and a brake pad replecement also free.
The money spend on your car for three years will be the money spend by you on diesel.
And if you are concerned of re-sale go for WagonR.
Why petrol?

Hi all,
i bought the new Wagon R a few months ago and i m very satisfied with its performance. it gives me great mileage and is spacious form the inside. i would suggest it to anybody looking for a fuel efficient car for everyday use in the city.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Thanks all for your comments and feedback. As stated above, I did another test drive of Spark today.
The shortcomings of spark were quite evident after I had driven the Wagon R.

1. The clutch is too high and caused strain on my ankle.
  2. The knee hitting the dashboard is not very comfortable for me.

I think I will b owning a Wagon R.

Thanks again all.

Top Bottom