Require Advise on Second Hand Car Purchase

Thread Starter #1
Hi there,

Am a newbie to auto world and planning to buy a second hand Santro with auto transmission (year: 2007, km ran: 35k +, ask price: 2.80 lakhs). With the above context appreciate if you please clarify the following queries of mine:

Pardon me if my questions are so basic / naive.

1. I am buying this vehicle in Bangalore via a second hand dealer. I was informed that once I pay the amount they themselves will initiate the transfer of ownership of the vehicle with the transport office for an additional fee. I was told that I will be given a copy of the RC book (with previous owner name), copy of the insurance (with previous owner name), sale deed / affidavit of the sale. My concern here is , for a project work I need to travel to Chennai soon after the sale and am also planning to self drive the vehicle from Bangalore to Chennai. Is it ok for me to travel interstate while the change of ownership is ongoing? Will the cops in Chennai give any trouble seeing a KA registration with only xerox copies of the RC book / insurance / sale deed?

2. For the vehicle insurance , am I supposed to change the insurance after the RC book gets registered in my name? or I can request the second dealer from whom I am buying to do this as well along with change of ownership in RC book?

3. Assuming that I travel to Chennai and I face some exigencies (e.g. vehicle damage) what am I supposed to do? That time i will be having the insurance in the previous owner's name.

4. Assuming that the car is registered in Bangalore, can I change the name in insurance papers (from previous owner name to my name) in Chennai?

Last edited:
Congratulation... Welcom to TAI family.[:)]

The cost of Santro 2007 model for Rs.2.80 is little costly. You have decided to buy automatic, so check the usages of previouz owner. Chech the smoothnes of clutch. For long time use it is better to go for mannual.

Here are the replies for your questions:

1. It is good to have all documents photo copies while travelling. When going to Chennai if any cops asks you just manage with them simply but, don't say about name changing process. Then he may ask for all details.

2. Yes you have to change insurance to your name. It is better to do both at same time.

3. It is lettle difficult, so better avoid causing any damage to your car.

4. This can't be done.

I hop that you own it soon and post your experience.

Answer for the 4th question only.

4. Once you submit all the documents required to RTA, you could get a receipt from there. You can change the name in insurance using this receipt and your valid address proof.You my need to produce the vehicle for inspection to the insurance company.

Above is the case in Kerala, not sure about any change in Bangalore.

Top Bottom