Advice a New Hatchback - Rs.6 Lakh Budget

Thread Starter #1
Your Budget: 6 Lakh.
Your Location: Mangalore.
Top 5 Priorities: Mileage, Comfort for Me and my parents(rear seat occupants), Drivability, maintenance, VFM.
Monthly Running: 1000kms
For Which Purpose: Daily office use,family use,Trips.
Max. Seating Capacity: 4.
Priority of Fuel Type: Petrol/Diesel.
Body Type: Hatchback.

I have shortlisted:
1) Punto
2) Polo
3) Beat
4) Brio

But i am confused which variant is good in what? please guide me :)

mention in brief about following things also
1) approx breakup of city: highway running
2) your driving style (fast, sedate)
3) previous car Ownership experience
4) recent TD or driving experience
5) number and built of passengers travelling frequently in car
6) condition of roads you frequent (pot holes, bumps, etc.)

Your Budget: 6 Lakh.
Your Location: Mangalore.
Top 5 Priorities: Mileage, Comfort for Me and my parents(rear seat occupants), Drivability, maintenance, VFM.
For Which Purpose: Daily office use,family use,Trips.
Max. Seating Capacity: 4.
Body Type: Hatchback.

I have shortlisted:
1) Punto
2) Polo
3) Beat
4) Brio

But i am confused which variant is good in what? please guide me :)
As per your requirement, Honda Brio should be the ideal choice. Avg monthly running of 1000KMs creates a dilemma here about Petrol or Diesel.

Considering the current trend of fuel prices, Petrol it should be. In your budget of 6L, you could as well go for Swift Vxi which could fit all your requirements. And may be Vista Safire as well (though skeptical about TASS).

If petrol is what you are looking at, nothing can beat honda jazz, stretch a bit and opt for jazz mid variant, fully loaded spacious with superb engine and reliability from Honda.
If you cant stretch then still buy its base variant which comes with all the safety features leaving out alloys,steering control,music system, but still is a superb car to buy in this price range.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
I forgot to mention that i am 6.2ft tall... I never owned a car.. This will be my first car for my family...Just started to go for driving classes [:D]

Today i visited showrooms i found hyundai i20 petrol , ford figo diesel to be attractive.. will visit honda showroom next week... honda jazz is fuel economical? i am buying this car on emi so i don want more burden on me... i found ford figo to be economical average 19kmpl of diesel.. and car price is 627000 on road for EXI variant.

I have 5kms of city travel and 15kms of highway travel to reach office... which totals up to 40-45kms in total per day... i might even go to a trip every month max of 200kms.. Please advice.. Thanks in advance...

Alright, so, firstofall, what is the maximum you are willing to pay for on-road price?

Anyways, assuming it is upto a max of 7.5L on road:
-Honda Jazz, Suzuki Swift, Volkswagen Polo, and Hyundai i20 should be the only vehicles you should consider.
-I feel that the Ford figo, Nissan Micra, Renault Pulse, Honda Brio, and Etios Liva are a bit sub par compared to the vehicles above.
-DO NOT consider the Punto.
-I personally would say to go with either i20, polo, or Jazz.

But i am confused :)
I have 5kms of city travel and 15kms of highway travel to reach office... which totals up to 40-45kms in total per day... i might even go to a trip every month max of 200kms.. Please advice.
See, in first post , you have written 1000 km/month.which is in favour of lpg first and then petrol.
And in other it seems monthly running is atleast 1700 km which is in favour of diesel first , and if not then lpg.
So please clarify.

Regarding low gc cars such as figo , brio road condition needs to be better .As you are a novice driver , if the road condition s are better there is no problem for the low gc cars.

AFA parent comfort is concerned , ask them to sit inall cars on back seat and ask wheather they would be comfortable for 3 hrs in same position .for back seat comfort vista is best .
But you said only two people would seat on rear , other cars won't be a problem.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that i am 6.2ft tall... I never owned a car.. This will be my first car for my family...Just started to go for driving classes [:D]

Today i visited showrooms i found hyundai i20 petrol , ford figo diesel to be attractive.. will visit honda showroom next week... honda jazz is fuel economical? i am buying this car on emi so i don want more burden on me... i found ford figo to be economical average 19kmpl of diesel.. and car price is 627000 on road for EXI variant.

I have 5kms of city travel and 15kms of highway travel to reach office... which totals up to 40-45kms in total per day... i might even go to a trip every month max of 200kms.. Please advice.. Thanks in advance...
so jazz makes even more sense if you are tall. Trust me,im 6'5.

Hi
According to what you mentioned your annual running comes around 1700 km. better be diesel

Budget = 6 lakhs. So following model comes under picture

1. Punto 1.3 Active
2. Swift LDI
3. Figo Exi
5. Beat Diesel
In this my choice will be Punto( Engine refienment+ High speed Dynamics + Fuel Efficiency ) . But please raise your budget and try for Dynamic as you will get ABS
Ford Figo is also a vfm. I will not recommend Swift LDI due to in appropriate brakes(not so confident inspiring compared to punto as i test drove it. Owners can give more idea). Test drive these and share your experience

Last edited:
Yes , nitin , beat D deserves no.5 on this thread.

AFA , punto is concerned OP needs to check ASS in his city.Also check if solo fiat dealership and ASS is on its way or not.

Thread Starter #15
Thanks everyone! its nice to know there are so many people who want to help out amateurs in automobiles like me...
Sorry for not being very clear on my previous posts.really sorry[:)]

To Clarrify things:
Daily usage - 45kms (which includes 10kms of city traffic and 35 kms of state highway).
monthly office usage - 45*22 =990
monthly additional usage -300 max.
total usage =900+300=1200 max.

Max on road price affordable - 7.5 lakh ( registration amount+ road tax is highest in karnataka compared to other states)

Roads are filled with potholes, even highway condition is worst in my city.

So petrol or diesel is better for my usage? The hyundai salesman was telling that the petrol and diesel prices will have difference of only 10rs in next one year....will that happen?

Honda jazz looks good for me.. but i can go for it only if petrol is better suited for my need.... even i like looks of polo.. i can afford a polo petrol.. but i heard from a friend that polo has lot of issues on indian roads... every three months we have to tune the engine and change the alignment of vechicle etc... is it true?
Tata service is very good in mangalore... i talked to some of cab drivers who own indica...they said that no issues with tata's service center like other places.

Thanks for helping me out guys.. i really appreciate your guidance :)

Top Bottom