Compact Urban Commuter Needed (OTR Max 12L)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI’ans
Suggestions required for an upgrade for my Swift Zxi 2006.
I am a middle aged office going person. Have a daily mileage of about 20 Km max per day. So it looks like ideal candidate for Petrol vehicle. I am very particular about my requirements but that makes the decision very difficult too. For e.g. while buying my Swift, I test drove, City, Fiesta, Aveo and Swift, then went for Swift(out of segment) as the features offered in Swift Zxi never found on any other vehicle tested.
Requirements are,
• Should be good looking from outside(like Verna)
• Must have airbags, ABS and an EBD.
• Features on dash should be good.(like Fiesta)
• Mileage should be great(like Jazz)
• Should not be too big, entry to my house has a limitation on turning radius. My swift goes in and out in single try.(like Jazz)
• Cost to maintain should not be too much(Maruti’s low cost maintenance has spoiled me)
• Comfortable for 4 and better than Swift’s boot.
• Don’t want to buy another hatch back as my Swift is just fine and want to go one segment up atleast.
• Price range with in 12L OTR
• I am a sedate driver; on Swift I manage 17KML on highway loaded and with AC!
My list
• Ecosport: Looks all the above in the package, but don’t know when or if it’s going to be released anytime soon.
• Honda City, very common car. No ACC (Biggest drawback for me), I have been on ACC for past 10 years. May be there is major facelift this year or next?
• Ford Fiesta: Again nice package considering the price reduction and may be good discounts offered. Worried about the reports of exorbitant maintenance costs. Looks like new facelift on the cards, so don’t want to buy it if it’s going to be replaced this year.
• Honda Jaaz: Very sweet looking car (hatch??), again No ACC. Also does it look like a Chick car?
• Duster: Too big for city and too expensive considering the features offered. Nice looking from outside but inside is different story.
In the current available list City, Jaaz and Fiesta are front runners, is there any other I missed?
I am not in hurry but once started looking for car, now that itching is there to change.

Why not consider Manza Club class or may be Maruti SX4 as well?

Loads of space in Manza, no nonsense car, low-maintenance and a good city commuter. SX4 is large for city driving though.

Noisy

Suspended
I think your budget is way too high!
You can consider Swift Dzire ZDi..It has everything you need. Just check your requirement list and see what the Dzire has..It is the car for you.

Look no further. Go ahead.

Thread Starter #4
Why not consider Manza Club class or may be Maruti SX4 as well?

Loads of space in Manza, no nonsense car, low-maintenance and a good city commuter. SX4 is large for city driving though.
Thanks Hari, but Tata, sorry to say I have to pass that option. Whatever they do the 'refinement' and 'class' is missing in Tata vehicles. May be its a good car, but it looks like 'premium taxi'(IMO)

SX4 also about to get the facelift this year.

I think I have the Solution to your dilemma. Since you are saying OTR 12L is your limit, you can close your eyes and go for a verna fluidic. One of my friends owns one, and I was thoroughly impressed with the equipment offered. He has the top of the line diesel SX automatic version, which was 13.55 on road for him, so you can easily get an automatic petrol for 12.55ish lakhs, but if automatic transmission isnt needed, then u can go for the manual 1.6 VTVT version that I believe is just under 12 on road. Have you test driven the verna fluidic yet?

Thread Starter #6
I think your budget is way too high!
You can consider Swift Dzire ZDi..It has everything you need. Just check your requirement list and see what the Dzire has..It is the car for you.

Look no further. Go ahead.
Swift Dzire, no, cuz I already have Swift Zxi. There is no diff. Infact I dont like the look of it. For me Swift has the killer looks! I want to go one segment higher!

I think I have the Solution to your dilemma. Since you are saying OTR 12L is your limit, you can close your eyes and go for a verna fluidic. One of my friends owns one, and I was thoroughly impressed with the equipment offered. He has the top of the line diesel SX automatic version, which was 13.55 on road for him, so you can easily get an automatic petrol for 12.55ish lakhs, but if automatic transmission isnt needed, then u can go for the manual 1.6 VTVT version that I believe is just under 12 on road. Have you test driven the verna fluidic yet?
Billa, yeah so far I have been ignoring this beauty, reason being many people commented after TD that its unstable at high speeds. So never bother to test drive. But since two days I am even considering it for the TD. What you said makes sense. I don't think I will go for AT, but VTVT might be ok. Will test drive it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone can say something about Honda Jazz, yesterday I saw on White Jazz. I think I am in love with this. No TD yet.

Billa, yeah so far I have been ignoring this beauty, reason being many people commented after TD that its unstable at high speeds. So never bother to test drive. But since two days I am even considering it for the TD. What you said makes sense. I don't think I will go for AT, but VTVT might be ok. Will test drive it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone can say something about Honda Jazz, yesterday I saw on White Jazz. I think I am in love with this. No TD yet.

Indian,
Yes, the verna does have poor stability at speeds in excess of 120kmph, but it is exaggerated by many, for the verna isnt so unstable. The instability comes from the soft tuned suspension and not the lightness of the steering wheel. And also, one more point you may want to consider is that the rear seats are quite low compared to most cars.
Also, the Jazz is a fine car and you can get the top end Jazz X for 7.5L on road, but my suggestion would be to take a look at the new i20 as well, because I feel it is more VFM and has more bang for the buck in terms of features.

Thread Starter #8
Indian,
Yes, the verna does have poor stability at speeds in excess of 120kmph, but it is exaggerated by many, for the verna isnt so unstable. The instability comes from the soft tuned suspension and not the lightness of the steering wheel. And also, one more point you may want to consider is that the rear seats are quite low compared to most cars.
Also, the Jazz is a fine car and you can get the top end Jazz X for 7.5L on road, but my suggestion would be to take a look at the new i20 as well, because I feel it is more VFM and has more bang for the buck in terms of features.
Thanks billa once agian [:)]
Yes I am now getting more interest in Verna too. The features offered definitely mouth watering. The city driving seem to be very good(that's what I do most of the time). Yeah the 120kmph ride issue should not be a deal breaker as I am a sedate and defensive driver. Only the low back seating needs to be checked. How is the petrol engine here? I think I am not sure if petrol or the diesel I should look here. How's service costs of Hyundai compared to Ford or Honda?
Jaaz every time I see it I stare it like Katrina Kaif [evil]. But my wife says 'Its another Hatch, you are not upgrading here.'
But not test driven any of them. I think that might make things clear.
I feel Ecosport is almost ready to be launched, if so waiting some more to see it.

I think you must wait for ES . It will be unique car from which you have owned so far .

If for some reasons ford screws the pricing which they are capable of , my vote would go for the new fiesta and city . Iam not suggesting jaaz since your wife dosent feel it can be upgrade .

I think your swift has a lot of juice left enjoy it and wait till ES .

More then a need to change car yours is a case of getting bore with the swift right ?

Petrol sedan,Honda City, Superb Ivtec engine, refined with good front and rear seat comfort with spacious boot, you would love your long term ownership with this car if petrol is what you are looking at,your budget is asking for a sedan purchase a segment up with your swift, yes Jazz is a beautiuful vehicle,spacious with superb 1.2L engine, but still you would love 1.5L city's engine with an upgrade to a segment higher.If diesel you want to opt for which your running doesnt justify for, still if you want to many options available in diesel
Hyundai Verna,loaded with list of features.
VW Vento,
Nissan Sunny, it surely is a caaaaar get inside and see the space it offers,
Mahindra Xuv500 W6 if you want another segment up, if you can stretch further W8 is around 14L.
I would suggest you to choose Honda city, with petrol engines you can never go wrong with Honda.

Thread Starter #11
I think you must wait for ES . It will be unique car from which you have owned so far .

If for some reasons ford screws the pricing which they are capable of , my vote would go for the new fiesta and city . Iam not suggesting jaaz since your wife dosent feel it can be upgrade .

I think your swift has a lot of juice left enjoy it and wait till ES .

More then a need to change car yours is a case of getting bore with the swift right ?
Thanks Raja,
Yes definitely gonna wait for Ecosport no doubt about it unless its pushed till year end [frustration]
Yep the Fiesta in in top of my list but there might be a facelift coming in, even for City.
Regarding 'bored' yes. See when I bought Swift it was the best available in terms of features and safety, it was better than the sedans one step above. But not anymore! BTW whats your ride now?

Hey Indian I have heard Chevrolet might also be releasing a compact SUV on the lines of Ecosport this year its called as the Chevy Trax do have a look at that as well.

@Indian

First when I looked at your requirements given, I was[lol], which you are asking all manufacturers to come together and make a car for you, hey was just joking buddy.

To me it is like
1. Yes you can wait for ES, I wish they price it well OR in present scenario

2. You can check Manza club class, it is really awesome car man, just do a TD and form a opinion on it, do not go by word TATA means bad. then my next choice would be New Verito, I like it very much for its simplicity and space offered, hence you can check it out too

Thread Starter #14
Petrol sedan,Honda City, Superb Ivtec engine, refined with good front and rear seat comfort with spacious boot, you would love your long term ownership with this car if petrol is what you are looking at,your budget is asking for a sedan purchase a segment up with your swift, yes Jazz is a beautiuful vehicle,spacious with superb 1.2L engine, but still you would love 1.5L city's engine with an upgrade to a segment higher.If diesel you want to opt for which your running doesnt justify for, still if you want to many options available in diesel
Hyundai Verna,loaded with list of features.
VW Vento,
Nissan Sunny, it surely is a caaaaar get inside and see the space it offers,
Mahindra Xuv500 W6 if you want another segment up, if you can stretch further W8 is around 14L.
I would suggest you to choose Honda city, with petrol engines you can never go wrong with Honda.
I am a big fan of Honda cars, already owned two in the past, still I miss them. Great drivers car! City, looks very eligent and polished. But I feel there might be a facelift soon. I will dearly miss ACC in the current setup. Considering the petrol and diesel situation now, we are not forced in to buying diesel anymore!

Hey Indian I have heard Chevrolet might also be releasing a compact SUV on the lines of Ecosport this year its called as the Chevy Trax do have a look at that as well.
ronz, yes I have seen some reviews etc. Looks like a rival to Ecosport. But again nothing official. Like wise there is Nissan Duster, Alpha XA, Probably SX4 Crossover all due looks like 2014 will be a busy year.

Thread Starter #15
@Indian

First when I looked at your requirements given, I was[lol], which you are asking all manufacturers to come together and make a car for you, hey was just joking buddy.

To me it is like
1. Yes you can wait for ES, I wish they price it well OR in present scenario

2. You can check Manza club class, it is really awesome car man, just do a TD and form a opinion on it, do not go by word TATA means bad. then my next choice would be New Verito, I like it very much for its simplicity and space offered, hence you can check it out too
Thanks Gurrala for the reply.
Yes my list looks like 'To do list' for manufacturer, Hope they see my list [rules]

Ok now back to topic..
My search for cars, or anything goes like this.
First the looks, I basically check the outer looks from all angles then go inside the car. Comforts and the safety are very important to me. Once I accept it then go to details on the specs, engine etc. I know lot of people go in the reverse order(I think that is sensible thing) but I am a different breed [evil]
The Manza and even Verito did not pass the first criteria. I am pretty sure Manza must be a good VFM car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom