Used CNG Car

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys need some help here. I currently have a Tata Indica DLS which served me well for 6 years without major issues( quite unlike what people might say). Now my dad wants to sell it and buy another car b4 he retires(18 months from now). I suggested buying a used car as the usage is not much and I feel its not worth investing so much with a home loan on my head. Going with CNG. So here are some I have shortlisted:
1. Baleno- I wud love to get one. It has an efficient and powerful engine and wud do well with CNG. But my dad might not agree with the dated looks.

2. Honda City iDSI- Another good car with a gem of an engine. Super efficient. Can get one for less than 3 lacs. Most resale value after say 3-5 years.

3. Suzuki SX4-Good car. Powerful, not so very efficient, looks decent, spacious and a Maruti.

4. Old Fiesta- Space, silent cabin. Good power even with 1.4l petrol..

All these are available for under 3 lacs with/without CNG kit. My priorities are efficiency, space, silent cabin. Owners of these cars plz help me with fuel effciency figures for petrol/CNG on these cars. Thank you.

Re: Used car+CNG

I would suggest the City or Sx4. Why? because they are both nice cars and will ensure parts availability in future. The face lift SX4 will further drop the prices. Fiesta is good too.
My city is Ivtec and gives me 12Kmpl in city. And I do know many idsi owners,very satisfied and happy.

Go for Honda city. Spares availability in future is very very important. (I had to dispose my Opel corsa due to non-availability of parts).

IMO, Baleno is already dated and I doubt SX4 will follow the same fate. SX4 is nowhere an efficient car.

Fiesta will be a gamble as Ford has already stopped the manufacturing of this unit.

Thread Starter #4

@ Theferrarifan and hari_hyderabadi

Thank you guys. Your thots are inline with mine. Even I am in favour of the iDSI. SO u guys mean to say that the spares for iDSI will be easily available 3 years down the line? I am sure abt the SX4 and even the Baleno. Maruti still stocks spares for M1000 and SS80. Not so sure abt the Honda though. Are spares available for the Old Honda City(OHC)?

The Fiesta is still in production now as the Ford Classic. I might not consider it though unless I decide in favor of a diesel.

1. Baleno- I wud love to get one. It has an efficient and powerful engine and wud do well with CNG. But my dad might not agree with the dated looks.
You can find a good baleno (Price will be 1.5 to Max 1.9)
Just check for 2005+ model mostly
CNG installation will require 30k
2 of my friends are using CNG baleno now and both of them are happy about it.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...sed-maruti-baleno-bought-installed-cng-3.html

2. Honda City iDSI- Another good car with a gem of an engine. Super efficient. Can get one for less than 3 lacs. Most resale value after say 3-5 years.
Yes you can get a city in 2 to 2.5 L
But CNG installation cost will be around 50k

3. Suzuki SX4-Good car. Powerful, not so very efficient, looks decent, spacious and a Maruti.
This is best option, You can easily get a Sx4 Zxi (3.5L-5L)
Its a good proven car, CNG installation will cost you 30k

4. Old Fiesta- Space, silent cabin. Good power even with 1.4l petrol..
Again its a good car but CNG fitting will cost 50k +.

go for honda city, you would get good retained pre owned vehicle if you have pre owned showroom for honda's in your city.If you can let us know your budget, a more appropriate suitable vehicle could be recommended.Even hyundai accent is a good contender and its still under production so no worries of spares availability.Else honda city any given day if you can find a good deal and decent vehicle.

Thread Starter #7
@Vijay.

I wud prefer the Baleno to the Accent anyday. Will have no issue with the spares even after 10 years.

I wud be happy if anyone cud install CNG tanks under the boot so I donot lose boot space. Thinking of a twin tank setup-one under the boot and another under the rear seats. Pics attached.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
So I have shortlisted the HOnda CIty iDSI and the SX4. Some concerns still remain. I am not a person who goes to a mechanic to tighten nuts and bolts and to change bulbs. I do such basic stuff myself. I walk to a nearby spares dealer(local shop fellow who keeps most stuff from most brands), but these spares and fit them myself.

I wud like to knw if I wud be able to buy headlights, taillights, brake parts etc off the shelf for the above cars? Or the Auth service centres have a monopoly here? I am keen to get the Honda as I suppose it will be easier to drive in the City and equally good on the highway too.

BTW anyone knws CNG fitters who can do stuff like in the above pics? Will it be approved by the RTO?

Thread Starter #9
Sorry guys no update on this matter for a long time now. Had been super-busy with work, vacation and other things. But things have changed now.

I am not able to sell my Indica for another car. My dad will retire in a years time now and wishes to keep the Indica. So my budget goes down by 1+ lacs. So thinking a buying a cheaper car within 1 lac for a couple of years use and then upgrade. Following are the priorities:
1. Safety and more safety in a crash situation without airbags as options. The shell of the car must be strong enuf. I have a small baby to cart around sometimes.
2. Decent performance. Do not want an energy sapping under powered car. Already had the Indica DLS. Good low and mid range torque.
3. Good fuel efficiency-one of the reasons for choosing a CNG car.
4. No issue with spare parts availability.

I already have a carb M800 lying unused for a few years now. A year ago I thot of restoring with a space frame chassis and integrated roll cage. Turbocharge it like some have done and CNG. Now I neither have the time nor energy to do all this. Following are some options for me:
Alto 1.1- Safety and to a very small extent space are my only concerns with this. Does anyone have any data abt Euro crash ratings for this?

Santro-Again great torque for city driving but, like the Alto I am not too sure of its safety. It just abt cleared the Euro crash tests in 1999.

Indica Petrol- Power will be the only change here. Though not very sure abt the economy figures, I feel 20 nearish is what I will get on the highways and abt 15-17 in city, with much betr performance compared to the DLS.

Palio- Like the Indica, I am super sure abt safety aspects of a Palio. Getting one for less than 60-70K with CNG fitted in some. 1.6 versions look tempting with fuel efficiency almost similar to the 1.2 but with hot hatch performance. Only concern is easy availability of spares.

Again guys please suggest an option. I will be using the cars mostly in the city, with occasional Mumbai-Pune and Mumbai-Goa trips. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Anyone guys? Plz comment.

I recently came across wesite of Kava auto in mumbai. They have a tie-up with Fiat for spares. So no issues here as they supply spares for Uno too. So Palio might be the one. Onlt thing is it will be a pain to drive in the city with its minimal low end torque. Wat say guys?

Hi,

Saw your thread late. The perfect car for your enthusiasm should be Fiat Palio 1.6 or OHC. Spend about 80-90K getting a decent one and then spice it up with another 20-30K. You will have decent drive at your hand.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #12
Thanks Anshuman.

The car buying is postponed as I did not find a good Palio recently and with the monsoon here, its diff to fix an appointment and check the car properly. So ina few mnths now. May be Aug, when I plan to drive to Goa in my new used car.

Top Bottom