My First New Car Search

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Finally after years of waiting I am at the edge of buying my first car and of my OWN.[clap]
I have been searching for a while and have looked into few options, so I am confused, worried, a bit tensed [confused] as I don't want to take a wrong decision with the first buy.

I have decided to go for for a vehicle

Ex showroom price to be below Rs. 600,000
Fuel Type Diesel
Hatchback ( Sedan wont be available [roll] )

I have been looking into various option available in the market like

Polo
Fabia
Swift
I20
Micra

Out of these I have the maximum bend towards POLO, coz of the features, brand, reviews about performance.
Would request if you could put forward the pros and cons to take a chance.

I would request you to be my mentor and help me in making the decision with your reviews and experiences, the vehicles you have or had.

Thanks in Advance

Re: First Car Search

i am not sure but why a polo? it is a three pot diesel which is noisy.

i would like you to add a punto in the list.

if you are still inclined for a polo i suggest you wait till they launch their 1.5L diesel engine.

Thread Starter #3

Probably coz, neither in family nor any of the friends own one and I have never travalled in one.
Moreover in none of my discussion with friends anyone bought it up.

But, isn't the new Polo scheduled to be launched in april

The thing is the new launch would be priced much higher than your budget.
You are better off with asking for discounts on the punto,or the vista.
The sail uva is another contender, it is bland in appearance but might fit in your budget.
Same goes for the fabia since it is a VW.
Micra is good but check for the brakes,some Say the bite is not enough.

Last edited:

Hi Rover,

Ford figo, Ritz and Vista are the only hatches that are below 6L Ex.Showroom price range. Other cars are as well priced below 6L but probably the basic models and doesn't carry goodies.

My feedback on your shortlistings:
Polo : 3-cylinder engine. Not recommended. Very thin dealership network.
Fabia : Again, thin dealership network and may become expensive to maintain.
Swift: Good looks, Q'Jet engine, brand image, good A.S.S, you may only get LDI model in your budget. Not VFM.
I20: Excellent looks, powerful engine, expensive.
Micra: Very thin dealership network, new to market(will be a gamble).

Suggestions:
Ritz (Maruti brand, better A.S.S, resale, VFM)
Fiat Punto (Out of your budget)
Vista (True VFM car, bad rear looks, worst image in the masses)
Ford figo (Primitive looks, VFM car)

Probably coz, neither in family nor any of the friends own one and I have never travalled in one.
Moreover in none of my discussion with friends anyone bought it up.
But, isn't the new Polo scheduled to be launched in april
It won't be a nice idea to buy a car just for its uniqueness. Buying a car is a serious investment and impulsive purchase may get you repent later when excitement dies and if things do not work out as you wanted. Car is an asset which only depreciates as time flies by, its only the satisfaction of making the right choice that keeps you going along with it.

Please give some more details on your daily running, no. of people expected to travel with you and your willingness to spend on car maintenance in years to come, any preferences on resale value.

The new polo will arrive in few months but that would be most likely available in only top end trims taking price to the levels of sedans.

Above all, test drive is your most trustworthy tool.

First car with a budget of 600000 ! Great.
Go for Fabia . Its great.
Driving comfort best in this class and sturdy too.
Whatever you choose , best of luck.

Thread Starter #8

Thank you for the input Guys,

I'll be driving approx 2k kms in month as my ofc is shifted to gurgaon. And I would be maintaining the car for a good run as I cannot shift to another one in short period.
And I have to buy this month only.
Swift is on waiting, indica is not that stylish.
I do understand unlike Maruti and Hyundai no other manufacturer is that much accessible or available with ease.
But if you could guide how often would it be required, coz i have heard for example toyota or honda makes dont trouble cause they are built with high standard.
So if in case I go for something which does not falls into like maruti category would it really be that difficult.I am just going by the conclusions from my chats with friends that european/german products are crafted with much more perfection, is it like that?

Kindly guide
Thanks
P;Sorry if the questions sounds stupid.

wish basic essentials in magna variant i20 diesel would come for 7 to 7.20L on road price if you think you can extend your budget till that or else ritz zdi, fully loaded with safety features, tall boy stance, superb FE,maruti ASs, only grouse is its rear looks and a bit bumpy ride.Also you can have a look at Toyota's Etios Liva, super spacious cabin and good diesel engine.
My ahmedabad on road pricing approx are
swift vdi-6.98L
ritz vdi - 6.65L
i20 magna- 7.20L
any mid variant of diesel hatchback would be in theprice range of 6.5 to 7L on road.Test drive some of the shortlisted cars and then decide which one suits your needs and your pocket.

Thank you for the input Guys,
I'll be driving approx 2k kms in month as my ofc is shifted to gurgaon. And I would be maintaining the car for a good run as I cannot shift to another one in short period.
And I have to buy this month only.
Swift is on waiting, indica is not that stylish.
I do understand unlike Maruti and Hyundai no other manufacturer is that much accessible or available with ease.
But if you could guide how often would it be required, coz i have heard for example toyota or honda makes dont trouble cause they are built with high standard.
So if in case I go for something which does not falls into like maruti category would it really be that difficult.I am just going by the conclusions from my chats with friends that european/german products are crafted with much more perfection, is it like that?
Your daily running is high enough to reap the benefits of diesel car.
You are in Delhi and I don't think you should be worried about the dealership or service center network of any brand barring a few new entrants. Be it maruti, hyundai, ford or vw, you have enough of them in Delhi/NCR. Obviously maruti and hyundai have better network owing to higher sales and historic presence in our country.
Every car has its own feel be it german or korean or japanese, and each has its own set of drawbacks too.
If you are bent towards polo then you would get only the lower end versions that too after adding few thousands more. Within your budget figo, ritz, liva, vista comfortably lie as others have suggested.
Take a round of test drives of a few cars that come at top your preference on basis of your budget and requirements.

Thread Starter #14
Thank you for supporting Guys,

I received a quote a week before I joined this forum and got these details

VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.2 Trend-Line Diesel NM Amount
Ex- Showroom Price: 599000.00
Insurance 22480.00
Registration & Road tax Delhi 34880.00
Wax Polish & Number Plate Charges 6000.00
Corporate Discount If ANY
Net Down Payment 662360.00

I wanted to know how is insurance and road tax calculated ? Also are their any other charges to be paid like here 6000 for number plate.
How should I make sure not paying any irrelevant charges to any car dealer in the name of just anything.

Thanks a lot everyone

Last edited:
The number plate charges are a fraud. Get that reduced straightaway.
Other than that try for insurance from online websites other than your dealer.
This should reduce the commission to the dealer and you could land up with a better deal.

Regarding registration i am not much aware, if you can get it done yourself without any agent, then you could save some money on that too.

Have you test driven any vehicles to form an opinion about the drive?

If not then first take a test drive, look out for their service centre, inquire with customers about the quality of the service, the car in question to get a real world sense of the troubles if any that vehicle suffers.

It is always wise to think rationally before taking the plunge in an depreciating item like a car.
So do not hurry with your decision.
And do not hesitate to ask for discounts, be adamant on that.

The current market scenario can help you to land up a good deal.

Top Bottom