Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire 2012 ZXI or Hyundai i20 2012 Sportz 1.2

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm from Bangalore and planning to buy my first car. My usage will be like maximum 500 kms per month and may go for an
out station drive once in every three months and city usage will be very limited. Based on this I have decided to go with a petrol version. Now I'm stuck on 2 models, Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire 2012 ZXI or Hyundai i20 2012 Sportz 1.2. On the size part, Length is same for both 3995mm and Width 1710mm (DZire) and 1695mm (i20) so parking space concerns are same for both. Both car should be able to accommodate 5 people easily but I think i20 has a slight edge on back seat comfort with regards to rear legroom. (Not sure if I'm correct).

When it comes to the features, i20 is luxurious loaded filled with features which DZire misses (Rain sensing wipers, reverse camera,
air-filtering ionizer, electric folding ORVMs, Gear Shift indicator, bluetooth connectivity, smart pedal system etc.). Other than Reverse camera I'm not sure how much useful other features are, but definitely these are provided with a less price tag than DZire. Can some one who has used these features comment on how handy or useful they are?

I read about some issues with i20, the Steering rattle, poor AC and the underpowered 1.2L petrol engine. Are these issues rectified?. How is the DZire behavior on the last statement? Especially while overtaking how is the engine response for DZire and i20? My conclusion is DZire wins in this area? Correct me If I'm wrong.

I would like to know the handling of both cars at high speeds? How is the breaking? For Long drives which one is the best choice?.

After all the after sales service and maintenance cost, because as of now the one I'm gonna buy will be my companion for the next 10 yrs. Heard Hyundai's service and maintenance costs are usually higher than that of the competition. Is this understanding correct?

So can you guys please help me out on the above questions?

Hi Guys,
I'm from Bangalore and planning to buy my first car. My usage will be like maximum 500 kms per month and may go for an
out station drive once in every three months and city usage will be very limited. Based on this I have decided to go with a petrol version. Now I'm stuck on 2 models, Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire 2012 ZXI or Hyundai i20 2012 Sportz 1.2. On the size part, Length is same for both 3995mm and Width 1710mm (DZire) and 1695mm (i20) so parking space concerns are same for both. Both car should be able to accommodate 5 people easily but I think i20 has a slight edge on back seat comfort with regards to rear legroom. (Not sure if I'm correct).

When it comes to the features, i20 is luxurious loaded filled with features which DZire misses (Rain sensing wipers, reverse camera,
air-filtering ionizer, electric folding ORVMs, Gear Shift indicator, bluetooth connectivity, smart pedal system etc.). Other than Reverse camera I'm not sure how much useful other features are, but definitely these are provided with a less price tag than DZire. Can some one who has used these features comment on how handy or useful they are?

I read about some issues with i20, the Steering rattle, poor AC and the underpowered 1.2L petrol engine. Are these issues rectified?. How is the DZire behavior on the last statement? Especially while overtaking how is the engine response for DZire and i20? My conclusion is DZire wins in this area? Correct me If I'm wrong.

I would like to know the handling of both cars at high speeds? How is the breaking? For Long drives which one is the best choice?.

After all the after sales service and maintenance cost, because as of now the one I'm gonna buy will be my companion for the next 10 yrs. Heard Hyundai's service and maintenance costs are usually higher than that of the competition. Is this understanding correct?

So can you guys please help me out on the above questions?
Go ahead with I20 reasons are many :

Swift dezire is a VFM for sure but if an only its a diesel mill
I20 the new version (2012) looks more appealing than the new dezire
The Quality & looks of the interiors are more better in I20
Resale value and ageing when it comes between these too - the winner is I20(petrol)
Rear seat comfort is more in I20
I have driven a I20 petrol the recent 2012 version, its not underpowered for sure and if its your first car definitely not, unless if you have driven a Modded swift [evil] before
EPS might make you feel a bit confused on steering but its just days you would get used to it
Dzire is more common and I20 is for sure a stand out

With you drawing a line on your possible use being 10 years (even if 5 years) you will be all smiling as it would not age soon as said earlier

Last edited:
I too would suggest an I20. Its much more VFM,looks better and is loaded. But the Dezire is a more fun to drive car,better handling and I think its more stable too. I cant comment on the performance of the 1.2,have only driven the CRDI asta. But I think I20 will be more satisfying to own,is more spacious and Hyundais ASS is also good.

The new kappa engine is much better and refined in i20 sold now then its previous model, also all their steering rattling issue, A/c everything is taken care of after much of the first gens complaints were lodged by owners.Its loaded with all the features, good built quality and would not age that quick.Maruti on the other hand, current ones yes its an added boot but practically you would be able to utilise boot space more in i20 then dzire,TD both the vehicles and see which ones suits your needs.Both of them are best sellers, My vote goes for i20 as well.

Hi
I will advise you to go for i20
no doubt I20 is a feature rich car and no other car in this segment offers features like i20.
but there are few other things which makes i20 better than dzire.
1. the headroom at the rear seat in i20 is better.
2. i20 has got wider seat dimension which means more under thigh support which is very comfortable on long drives.
3. the amount of body roll in i20 is very less compared to dzire.
4. steering feels light in i20 which is useful in city traffic but sometimes on highway it doesn't feel so precise. but believe me for city driving it is a plus and after few days you get adjusted.
5. cabin space is more in i20 as compared to dzire the width of the car is 1710mm which allows 3 people to sit at the rear seat quite comfortably.
6. safety features are more and even the build quality is better.
7. plastics used in dzire is of low quality as compared to i20. specially stereo buttons.
8. additional features such as rain sensing wipers and automatic lights wont be used much but they are good.
9. most importantly i20 has a rear parking camera which is too good. maruti doesn't gives this feature in any of its car and in dzire rear view is not so clear. there are chances that you can hit the rear portion of the car while reversing it.

my suggestion is to go with i20.

Top Bottom