Urgent Help Required: Looking for New Hatchback (Petrol or Diesel?)

Thread Starter #1
Hello to all TAI ians.,

We had a 7years old Santro with us and due to its age and fuel cost, we planned to change for Diesel.

So we sold it for an unacceptable price anyway.

Our Requirements:

Budget : 6 to 7.5 Lakhs OTR
Priorities : Comfort, Mileage, Design, Low Maintenance
Monthly running : around 1000kms but not more (almost 70% on Highways)
Seating Capacity : Welcome as much as possible(but atleast 5)

And the search for new began.

Started with low budget cars upto the high budget cars(acc. to us!)
1.Vista Sedan class (VX ABS)
2.Ford Figo (VX)
3.Sail U-VA (LS ABS)
4. i20 (Magna)
5.Fabia (Ambi +)
6.Polo Tdi (Comfy Line)
And ofcourse, Ertiga on the List since I LUV it starting from the very first day of R3 concept show itself. But its out-of-budget!

We would like to book it in the december itself since we can get some good offers.(Model doesn't matters!)

So, after a lot of confusions, finally we booked Vista and waiting for Loan proceedings...

Now with the News of increase in diesel price, I have got confused a lot.

What I have to do now!
Will this scenario continue?
Will Diesel come nearly equal to Petrol?

Should I go ahead with the Diesel ? Or I should change for the Petrol?

Any Suggestions invited!.

Last edited:
Re: Urgent Help needed! Diesel or Petrol?

See, first of all, this is just a proposal there is no concrete information about the same. one month back there was also news of banning private diesel vehicles in Delhi, but nothing happened. And if at all diesel prices are increasing then also, it will not be at one go. so you can still go ahead with your booking.

BTW, do you require diesel car? I mean to ask, is your monthly running that high?

Thread Starter #3

so you can still go ahead with your booking.

BTW, do you require diesel car? I mean to ask, is your monthly running that high?
Thanks for your suggestions Dharmesh.

And why I have opted for Diesel is, I personally drive around 800kms every month(no change in that! its Regular). But apart from that my family will go for longer highway trips every month... A total of around 1250kms/month!

So, I thought Diesel will be apt for me! Am I took a wrong decision?

Hi senthil I find Swift VDi conspicuously absent from your list.6-7.5 lakhs and its a tried and tested choice.

From several post at TAI, people have give VISTA as verdict as one of the best option, so it cannot be a wrong choice. Yes it was little surprising that your list has neither Swift/Dzire nor Ritz.

Hi senthil I find Swift VDi conspicuously absent from your list.6-7.5 lakhs and its a tried and tested choice.
From several post at TAI, people have give VISTA as verdict as one of the best option, so it cannot be a wrong choice. Yes it was little surprising that your list has neither Swift/Dzire nor Ritz.
I think his problem is not which car, but fuel type.

Thread Starter #8

Thanks for your kind advice both of you.

I have omitted Swift and dzire from list due to the long waiting period.

Here it takes a minimum of 4months for Swift Vdi.

And Ritz, definitely I dont like the looks of it. Especially the Rear.[frustration][frustration] (IMO).

BTW my confy was to go ahead with diesel? Will it be affordable for the entire 4 or 5years?

I see no reason why it will not be affordable for a longer run if diesel is unregulated. With Diesel engine you will definitely have better FE.

I believe while buying a diesel car, one has to assume that in near future Diesel may not have subsidy.

Thread Starter #10
I see no reason why it will not be affordable for a longer run if diesel is unregulated. With Diesel engine you will definitely have better FE.

I believe while buying a diesel car, one has to assume that in near future Diesel may not have subsidy.
+100 ErtigaZMR, it is the aggressive truth. We have to accept it.

But I feel little confused while seeing on to the highly efficient petrol cars(yeilding around 20kmpl) and the low maintenance costs.

BTW, any idea of the exact cost of the unsubsidised Diesel?

I have omitted Swift and dzire from list due to the long waiting period.
Not really. The waiting periods on maruti cars have come down recently. If you are keen on swift/dzire, make a call to nearest maruti dealer.

BTW, any idea of the exact cost of the unsubsidised Diesel?
Add another Rs. 14 to the current price of diesel in your city.

Hi senthil,
Swift VDI waiting period of 04 months is thing of past.They have really ramped up production these days.This is im Mumbai.
You can get a break even in diesel only after driving of about 60,000 kms.Till then diesel or petrol both go hand in hand.Its only after 60k kms is that u actually start saving in terms of fuel.Now it depends in how many years/months you clock those kms.
Normal motorist clocks around 15k kms a year,so it would take 04 years for 60k kms.Or may be 03.So whole thing is quite relative.

+100 ErtigaZMR, it is the aggressive truth. We have to accept it.

But I feel little confused while seeing on to the highly efficient petrol cars(yeilding around 20kmpl) and the low maintenance costs.

BTW, any idea of the exact cost of the non subsidized Diesel?

Looking at the trend in other countries, non subsidized diesel proves to be more expensive than gasoline.

With a similar kind of running such as yours, I was in dilemma when I was going for a hatch; Figo D Vs Swift P Vs Swift D. And I finally narrowed down to Swift P. Diesel prices later spiked narrowing down the price differential between the two fuels. I'm enjoying driving the petrol Swift.

Although I'm not much into fuel efficiency, once in a while I do check out my MID which is currently showing 17.7 Kmpl without a/c, while in peak summers, a/c thermo on full and working for 100% of the time in bumper to bumper traffic has given me a minimum of 13.1 Kmpl. I now leave it up to you to decide which will be economical for you.

I would however want to add that do check out the Swift D. You will fall in love with the rush it provides behind the wheel.

If looking for Petrol then also look at Honda Jazz, Not sure if its with in your budget but worth having a look at. It has got a very effective space and comforts.

Top Bottom