Electric Car Dilemma

Thread Starter #1
hi friends! this is my very first post here. i've saved enough to buy a sedan. but it is the fuel cost which made me shy to go for it. we all know that the government has announced national electric mobility mission 2020. my question to you all is can i expect electric 5 seater cars ( be it hatch or sedan ) being launched in india within 2013 - 17? ( it will be extremely difficult for me to postpone the car buying decision beyond 2017. ) are indica vista electric and chevrolet beat electric 5 seaters? i've heard that hyundai i10 electric and the new reva are 4 seaters - is it true? any probability of indica, i10 and beat being launched in 2013? and any idea whether the electric vehicles will be launched in all metros ( i am from kolkata ) or in selected cities? please note that i am not bothered about the infrastructure ie i am going to charge the car in-home only and use it intra-city. thanks in advance.

350Z

Core Team
Welcome to The Automotive India. Mahindra is launching Reva NXR soon and it is confirmed that the car will be on sale across India. New Reva is also expected to be much more advanced and spacious than existing model though the fact still remains to be seen how comfortable the rear seat would be for at least two passengers, which has never been Reva's forte. General Motors is also considering bringing a new electric vehicle but the India specific launch information is still unclear.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Reva is practically a two seater.
Calling it a 4 seater itself is a bit of over stretching.

Indica Vista electric is of same size as regular Vista. It could be a 5 seater eventhough its called as a 4 seater with European spec.
There is no possibility of any launch seen in next one year at least.

Beat and i10 should be similar in size to their current models.

Hyundai has not given any time frame for introduction of electric cars in India. They are planning for a limited roll out in Korea soon.

GM has no specific plans to launch Electric beat.

Thread Starter #4
thanks 350z and autosafari. what i really want to know is whether to wait for a couple of years for electric cars in india or not? what you're going to suggest, to wait OR to forget ( it's never gonna happen here ). honestly, i'm very indecisive right now.

350Z

Core Team
what i really want to know is whether to wait for a couple of years for electric cars in india or not? what you're going to suggest, to wait OR to forget ( it's never gonna happen here ). honestly, i'm very indecisive right now.
There is no concrete information on upcoming electric cars except Reva NXR. It makes sense to wait for it as the launch is near. Otherwise consider the cars with other economical fuel options like LPG / CNG / Diesel.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom