Used Car: Tata Nano or Daewoo Matiz?

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

Since I have sold my car yesterday, I am restless. I want a car to do small DIY's [not in detailed works like my old M800] + go for some good long drives along with my family.

I will be buying it in may be 60 or 90days from now. However my budget is limited & so are my choices.

Option 1: Used Nano - 70K - 90K Pro's
  1. Cheap to buy
  2. Less than 5yrs old so I expect it to be rust free for next one or two years
  3. Good on mileage
  4. AC + Heater (A must have)
  5. Spacious enough for 3adults + 2 kids
  6. Not very complicated in build/maintenance (I hope so)

Doubts:
  1. Is Nano build better than M800? like sheet metal
  2. Are there more chances of getting disappointed since I already owned something with 200cc more than Nano
  3. I haven't driven a nano, but I am sure it would be better than the leaf suspension?
  4. Are there any major drawbacks in nano? that one should be aware of before buying it.

Option2:
Used Matiz - 35K to 55K

Pro's
  1. Very cheap to buy
  2. 800cc MPFi engine
  3. Spacious (I feel its better than M800/Alto/Zen) - correct me if I am wrong
  4. It has bonnet (the area I dig most of the time)

Doubts:
  1. Are new parts still available? or is scrapyard the only option
  2. Am I likely to burn my pocket again like my old car?
  3. Does it have AC + Cabin heater?
  4. Is an alternator upgrade must? what's the stock Amps capacity or Matiz?
  5. Any major drawbacks of Matiz (like design fault/engine issues)

PS:
After M800, Fiat Palio is my favorite car. But however, I am scared of Fiat prices & parts availability. If I had a lakh, I would buy a Fiat. I am not going to buy M800/alto/zen mainly because of less interior space.

A special request to all.
This thread is to help me understand if Nano/Matiz can fit my budget & requirement. It is not to start any war of words between M800 & Nano fans. Both are competent cars in their classes.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Re: USED CAR: Nano or Matiz?

For just one reason "long drives" I'd suggest you against Matiz as being an old model spares would be a bit hard to source and when being on road away from your town it might prove to be a nightmare if the car breakdowns. If you can take care of this, Matiz would be better than Nano, anyday. Superb engine, excellent chilling AC, comfortable seats and driving position.

freakdude.

350Z

Core Team

Since I have sold my car yesterday, I am restless. I want a car to do small DIY's [not in detailed works like my old M800] + go for some good long drives along with my family. I will be buying it in may be 60 or 90days from now. However my budget is limited & so are my choices.
I’m also considering Tata Nano but heard from some friends (based on their own experiences) that the initial units were troublesome. I didn't check out the 2012 model though. You could consider used Maruti Wagon-R and Hyundai Santro within this range. They are quite spacious and will be affordable to maintain at the same time.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I’m also considering Tata Nano but heard from some friends (based on their own experiences) that the initial units were troublesome. I didn't check out the 2012 model though. You could consider used Maruti Wagon-R and Hyundai Santro within this range. They are quite spacious and will be affordable to maintain at the same time.

Drive Safe,
350Z
The initial units had a faulty starter motor which led to fire accidents. TATA has silently rectified all those in regular services (without initiating a recall). The 2012 Nano doesn't have any of such issues.

freakdude.

350Z

Core Team

The initial units had a faulty starter motor which led to fire accidents.
It’s a known fact but I’m referring to basic quality related niggles (Such as faulty drive shaft, buttons not functioning etc) in random units.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I honestly think Matiz is a way better car than Nano.But the real question is parts availability and A.S.S.Will Chevy bother to service Matiz,as Spark is nothing but facelift of the same? One of the key thing about the Nanois that it may not be a Maruti 800 in terms of reliability but atleast servicing and spares are not an issue.So think about it deep and hard and make your pick!! HAPPY Purchase.

Nano Any day ! Matiz parts are very difficult to procure

PS - SS80 i just read your last post and straight away searched for new threads and voila ! thread by you !! , All the best for the car search !

All the best in advance for your future car

I discussed about this post with my mechanic friend and my replies are based on his and my opinions (I have less knowledge about Nano)

Is Nano build better than M800? like sheet metal
The floor, under body looks more solid as compared to the old M800s. I have heard that the primer/paint coatings of Nano is better than M800

Are there more chances of getting disappointed since I already owned something with 200cc more than Nano
You may feel a lack of Pickup when the Nano is fully loaded, I drove a Nano with 6ppl on board and then drove an old SS80 with the same ppl. i felt the SS80 had better pickup. The sound of a fully loaded Nano may seem like Auto (NANO OWNERS sorry for this comment)

Very cheap to buy
M800 may be still cheaper [;)]

Are new parts still available? or is scrapyard the only option
Its really hard to find Matiz parts (here in Lko Market) Please inquire B'lore market before thinking about buying Matiz [;)]

Is an alternator upgrade must? what's the stock Amps capacity or Matiz?
Stock Alty is 65 amps and it uses serpentine belt

After M800, Fiat Palio is my favorite car. But however, I am scared of Fiat prices & parts availability. If I had a lakh, I would buy a Fiat.
Palio is a very good in terms of looks but parts are scarce. Sorry I dont know much about Palio engine

I am not going to buy M800/alto/zen mainly because of less interior space.
I was hoping to see a Nicely restored SS80 with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey HAPPY 12/12/12. I read you take loan for car. in your last m800 post then why you want to go for new nano ?

- If you're buying a second hand the same issue repairing and all (some times its about passion but its wasted money).

- If you're buying second hand then please go for nano. It's better than Matiz. The Matiz parts are not available in market. Services issue. There are lots of issue on Matiz. Big no to Matiz.

Go for Nano. It's best but the one issue can you get the nano is this budget.

Tate recently announced the Nano limited edition (Alloys, Music System, Car Graphic). Think about it bro.

okay checked out this Used Tata Nano Cx BSIV Car in Bangalore,2010 Model (Id-117307) | CarDekho.com

also check this http://bangalore.olx.in/nf/search/nano

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #12
Hey HAPPY 12/12/12. I read you take loan for car. in your last m800 post then why you want to go for new nano ?
This time either I have to buy a troublefree NANO or troublesome Matiz[lol]
Matiz seemed more appealing & better built so in big confusion right now.

I would say to stick with Nano as it's cheaper to run and maintain, have you checked out any used nano's?
Thanks everyone for the inputs. I am planning to test drive Nano today or tomorrow.

There are plenty of Nano's for sale in OLX & Quickr, starting from 80K for NON-AC & 90K for the LX models. Yet to meet any owner.

All the best in advance for your future car
...............I was hoping to see a Nicely restored SS80 with you.
Thanks for info on Alty & the type of Belt. Very useful indeed. I am really looking for good legroom & headroom this time, hence ruling out the M800. Thanks to your mechanic too, for his honest advice.

Dude go for the nano as matiz was not build to last.
Thanks, you meant the sheet metal? or engine itself?

I honestly think Matiz is a way better car than ..........hard and make your pick!! HAPPY Purchase.
Matiz has the same engine block as M800, the O2 sensor of M800 mpfi can be swapped with Matiz, also the lower arm of front suspension is the same as ZEN. Hope to dig more in the internet to find if MGP parts can support matiz.

You are right, NANO definatly gives peace of mind when it comes to Service/spares.

I’m al......I didn't check out the 2012 model though. You could consider used Maruti Wagon-R and Hyundai Santro within this range. They are quite spacious and will be affordable to maintain at the same time.

Drive Safe,
350Z
There good number of Santro Zip's available from 90K onwards, but HGP parts are costly & I dont want to invest an almost 6digit figure for a decade old car.
Nano fits my budget (in terms of service bills) so I am considering it.

For just one reason "long drives" I'd suggest you against Matiz as being an old model spares would be a bit hard to source and when being on road away from your town it might prove to be a nightmare if the car breakdowns. If you can take care of this, Matiz would be better than Nano, anyday. Superb engine, excellent chilling AC, comfortable seats and driving position.

freakdude.
Thanks, I just love the seating & interiors of Matiz. Not to mention it comes with factory fit "Struts".

I am meeting a couple of Matiz owners tomorrow & the day after. Prices are as below.

Matiz SE (Power Steering + AC) - grey colour, fourth owner - Rs.45,000/-

Matiz SD (only AC) grey colour - Rs.50,000/- only 22000 kms done

Nano CX - 80K, 2010model, blue colour

Nano LX - 1.2Lacs, 3500kms done, with AC & CABIN HEATER, single owner, 2011 model.

Anyday i would recommend a Tata Nano. Reason being the resale value and reliability. The Matiz you will get in the used market would surely need basic maintainance and procuring spares would be a pain. For long drives i dont think Tata Nano would be a problem. There are people who have driven upto Leh-Ladakh in a Nano.

My vote goes to Nano. it is a contemporary car. maintenance won't be a problem. Maintaining Matiz will be a painful issue.

I'd recommend this one : "Nano LX - 1.2Lacs, 3500kms done, with AC & CABIN HEATER, single owner, 2011 model." if the car doesn't have any hidden issues, you'll get a near brand new nano. :-)

my vote goes to Matiz. I have one in the family and it is one trusty car. its pretty old i guess around 2000 but hasnt run much at all and now its just sitting but anytime just twist key and you are off. brilliant little car. i have great memories on it since i learnt driving on it. if u have good contacts with garages who can source parts then no problems with spare. it hardly goes wrong.

Top Bottom