First Time Buyer - Petrol Swift vs Honda Brio

Thread Starter #1
Hello all
I am looking to buy my first car and I am rather novice in this regard (though I have large amount of driving experience). I will briefly introduce myself. I am an unmarried person living with my mother in Delhi. Looking for a car at a horizon of 5-6 years that can fit the our small family. Major use of the car would be for weekend city travels and occasionally to office. However, I also want to keep option of highway travel open.

> Your Budget: Around 5.5 lacs (Can break the budget for additional 50k if necessary).

> New or Used: New

> Your Location: New Delhi

> Top Five Priorities: (Eg: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space)

Performance, comfort, low maintainence, VFM
> Monthly Running: 700 - 1000 kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol

> For What Purpose: Regular (mostly weekend) plus additional highway trips (once in 6 months or so).

> Seating Capacity: 5 adults is fine

Because its my first car, I want to limit myself to trusted brands with good reputation and service. Based on this, I am looking at:

Honda Brio SM(O)T (On road price 5.2 around)

Maruti Suzuki Swift - VXI (On road price ~5.5 before discount)

Hyundai i10 kappa 1.2 Magna (On road price 4.5 after discounts)

I have read the reviews from TAI, and seems lot of people are happy with Honda Brio. The benefits are that I can take the top end model which I can't take for Swift. It is also spacious and has good interiors. My main worries with this is whether it would be good for highway travel especially considering its small boot space? Also, how are generally Honda's after-sale services and cost?

Generally, how should I choose between Brio and Swift? Please suggest? Also would other options like i10 be (I am getting around 30k discounts on it -- though the other two dealers yet to provide their discount schemes)

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Keep i10 out of the race buddy.
Its between swift and brio,both are great cars.
i am using brio and its boot space is not that small.
If u want safety features and exclusivity factor,go for brio.

Brio is more fun to drive compare to swift.
I have driven to mahabaleshwar ghats and lonavla ghats too,its cornering and handling is just amazing.

Last edited:
Sanjay is right but the swift is more VFM(ZXI) ,it looks better and has a better interior. But the hondas engine is a gem and it is better to drive. But a VXI swift vs. Brio SMT(O) I will advise you go for the Brio. Its also safer compared to VXI. Dont worry about ASS of Honda. Not as good as maruti but still commendable. Just go for the brio and enjoy years of trouble free motoring. It is stable on highways but boot space is not available in the swift or Brio.

Chinmaya, Honda's after-sale services is very good and they have pretty descent network.
For the past 4 years, there was no major problem in my honda city and each service cost (Normal service with minor work) was around 2.5-3.5 K.

As far as the boot space is concerned, Brio has less boot space, agreed. However personally I feel the boot space is 'sufficient'. Book for a test drive and ask the dealer to get the car near your house (very much possible) and test the boot space by yourselves.

Top Five Priorities: (Eg: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space):
Final scores of all the cars you mentioned above considering the priorities you have mentioned, they all score more or less the same.

The deciding factor would be 'TEST DRIVE'.

Gud luck !!

P.S: There are currently gud offers running on i10 and Brio. You might get arround 40-50K discount. I got 45K discount on my Brio V MT.

Last edited:
For unmarried smart 24 yr old man, brio wins.It just adds to smartness
as compared to swift crowd.

ASS is almost equal to msil, IF MSIL is number one then Hondas are number two.
Only concern is spares are costlier than MSIL.BTW , What is OTR price of vxi after discount?
TD is most important factor, do not forget to check back seat comfort, And GC factor depends on driving style and condition of the road you frequent.

Please update on your previous drivinng experience in the past briefly.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be BRIO. Regarding spare parts,it may be little more than counterpart Swift but if you will take the longevity factor, than it may be equal to MSIL.

You will be happy to drive Honda engine(although I do not own but driven my friend's CITY). It is like water.

Hello all
I am looking to buy my first car and I am rather novice in this regard (though I have large amount of driving experience). I will briefly introduce myself. I am an unmarried person living with my mother in Delhi. Looking for a car at a horizon of 5-6 years that can fit the our small family. Major use of the car would be for weekend city travels and occasionally to office. However, I also want to keep option of highway travel open.

> Your Budget: Around 5.5 lacs (Can break the budget for additional 50k if necessary).

> New or Used: New

> Your Location: New Delhi

> Top Five Priorities: (Eg: Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space)

Performance, comfort, low maintainence, VFM
> Monthly Running: 700 - 1000 kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol

> For What Purpose: Regular (mostly weekend) plus additional highway trips (once in 6 months or so).

> Seating Capacity: 5 adults is fine

Because its my first car, I want to limit myself to trusted brands with good reputation and service. Based on this, I am looking at:

Honda Brio SM(O)T (On road price 5.2 around)

Maruti Suzuki Swift - VXI (On road price ~5.5 before discount)

Hyundai i10 kappa 1.2 Magna (On road price 4.5 after discounts)

I have read the reviews from TAI, and seems lot of people are happy with Honda Brio. The benefits are that I can take the top end model which I can't take for Swift. It is also spacious and has good interiors. My main worries with this is whether it would be good for highway travel especially considering its small boot space? Also, how are generally Honda's after-sale services and cost?

Generally, how should I choose between Brio and Swift? Please suggest? Also would other options like i10 be (I am getting around 30k discounts on it -- though the other two dealers yet to provide their discount schemes)

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Hi Chinmaya

Both Honda brio and Maruti Suzuki Swift are good cars overall .
But if you are really looking for a value for money then i would suggest SWIFT.

The reason for this being

A. Extremely good Dealership and Service Center Network .
B. Cost of spares is very reasonable , not very expensive as compared to Honda
C. Spare parts easily available in market , if you dont wish to purchase from Service center.
D. Good boot space in SWIFT as compared to HONDA .
E. Unfortunately if your car breaks down then any road side mechanic can help you out or you can always have a maruti service center nearby . [clap]

Everything said about SWIFT , since it has been around for a while now and if you want to give priority to new looks and a fresh feel then BRIO be it

Amit

Top Bottom