Volkswagen Polo Trendline Petrol

Thread Starter #1
Dear all,

I would like to purchase Volks wagen polo trendline petrol by dec end. Please tell me the pros and cons as this is my first car and would like to own this for the solid build and the quality.

I would like to know the maintenance, spare parts and service for this as it should not be over burdened after purchasing it. Other option had was Figo Zxi but the look is outdated. Swift Vxi again not satisfied with the look.

Please suggest me as which one to opt for and my budget is around 5.5L.

Thanks,
Vinodh R

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Volkswagen Polo TDI petrol

The cons are obviously the three pot motor in the tdi. Why not try the punto? If you can live with the performance the polo offers than it makes it perfect as your first car.

Polo TDi Petrol? Either it has to be a TDi or a petrol.

Compared to both the cars mentioned by you ie Ford Figo and Maruti Suzuki Swift, the VW Polo will definitely be costlier to maintain. Whether its the spare parts, services; everything would be on a higher side. You may have a look at reviews of various VW Polo owners in this section.

Dear all,

I would like to purchase Volks wagen polo trendline petrol by dec end. Please tell me the pros and cons as this is my first car and would like to own this for the solid build and the quality.

I would like to know the maintenance, spare parts and service for this as it should not be over burdened after purchasing it. Other option had was Figo Zxi but the look is outdated. Swift Vxi again not satisfied with the look.

Thanks,
Vinodh R

Vinod,

Either it should a Petrol or Diesel.What is your daily running?What is your monthly running? and What is your yearly running?These priorities are important for a Car buyer.

I think he means Polo TDL (i.e. Trendline) Petrol. Typo.

For a first time car owner who is concerned about maintenance, spare parts, and service, I have only one thing to say - "stay away from the Polo."

Re: Volkswagen Polo TDI Petrol

As everybody pointed out,
1-Three pot engine
2- High Maintenance Cost
3- Not Many service Station

Why is three pot engine made out to be a big deal?

That engine is only there for extracting maximum fuel efficiency. It would only matter if you want to push the car at unsafe speeds of 140 kmph+ on highways. For city like Bangalore, it would hardly matter.

I myself have this car on order inspite of this constant bickering about 3 cylinder engine here.
You are not going to find the subtle differences between 3 or 4 cylinder engines. It's your first car after all.

Be practical and go with your heart. [:)] Also be ready to pay upwards of Rs. 7000 for yearly maintenance.

My opinion: Polo beats the daylights out of any premium hatchback in Indian market in looks department and ride quality.

Last edited:
I partly agreee with you that its no big deal but a 3 cylinder engine is not as complete a package as a 4 cylinder engine,especially when it comes to NVH and refinement levels.

Its like marrying a girl who has only one kidney. She will live as long and as healthy and as problem free as any other girl who has her both kidneys intact. She will cook for you, bear you children, take care of you, respect your parents, be ultra faithful, and be by your side during all ups and downs in your life, just like a girl with two kidneys would.

But, you will never be able to take this thought out of your mind that "man, she has only one kidney."

I partly agreee with you that its no big deal but a 3 cylinder engine is not as complete a package as a 4 cylinder engine,especially when it comes to NVH and refinement levels.

Its like marrying a girl who has only one kidney. She will live as long and as healthy and as problem free as any other girl who has her both kidneys intact. She will cook for you, bear you children, take care of you, respect your parents, be ultra faithful, and be by your side during all ups and downs in your life, just like a girl with two kidneys would.

But, you will never be able to take this thought out of your mind that "man, she has only one kidney."
Wow that was one of the poorest analogies I have ever seen anywhere. [clap]
You can't compare biological with mechanical.

For me better analogy is having a 4 blade ceiling fan v/s 3 blade ceiling fan. I would certainly live with 3 blade fan so long as it looks good and gives sufficient air.

Dear all,
Thanks,
Vinodh R
Pros:
A well sorted and composed ride.
Excellent high speed stability and maneuverability
Solid build
Quality of the car inside out
Looks

Cons:
High engine noise and engine clatter at high RPMs
A heavy weight car for 1.2 CC engine that may not be as punchy and eager to move as compared to say Maruti swift
High service bills with an average of around 6k for each service (higher than a few and at par with a few competitors)

So, if you are looking for a car which is highly refined like those of Honda and Hyundai, you will not like polo. Have you test driven polo yet?

Compared to both the cars mentioned by you ie Ford Figo and Maruti Suzuki Swift, the VW Polo will definitely be costlier to maintain. Whether its the spare parts, services; everything would be on a higher side
For a first time car owner who is concerned about maintenance, spare parts, and service, I have only one thing to say - "stay away from the Polo."
Recently I came across a few spare part details for polo which I think are pretty reasonable so I would reserve my comments on spare part costs until I collect sufficient data on same. I think maintaining a polo particularly petrol won't be as high as its perceived to be.

Be practical and go with your heart. [:)] Also be ready to pay upwards of Rs. 7000 for yearly maintenance.
My opinion: Polo beats the daylights out of any premium hatchback in Indian market in looks department and ride quality.
A user knows that this 3 cyl polo is no inferior to ones with 4. Anyways, one who is evaluating polo should test drive and decide, rather than go with general perception.

Neither does it sound like a proper analogy nor is humorous. Bad attempt this.

Thread Starter #11

Vinod,

Either it should a Petrol or Diesel.What is your daily running?What is your monthly running? and What is your yearly running?These priorities are important for a Car buyer.
Dear Music_Swift,

I a looking for only petrol as my usage would be very less in a month. It would be approximately less than 500km. Please suggest me a best hatch back car for petrol which is less than 5.5L and which looks sporty. This is going to be my first car.

Thanks,
Vinodh R

Dear Music_Swift,

I a looking for only petrol as my usage would be very less in a month. It would be approximately less than 500km. Please suggest me a best hatch back car for petrol which is less than 5.5L and which looks sporty. This is going to be my first car.

Thanks,
Vinodh R
Brio or swift. Would prefer the brio if you are ok with the looks.

Three choices come to my mind.

Polo - for its sporty looks, build quality, great handling. Engine is average when compared to cars like Brio or Swift. But would be fine for city driving. Service cost and spare parts - read almost everywhere that they are generally on the higher side. Also average/mixed VW A.S.S. reviews.

Brio - sporty looks, quality car, awesome engine to match that sporty look, great handling, compact dimensions which is great for city driving. Main negative is the small boot, but may not be a problem if used as a city car mostly.

Swift - almost the same car as Brio. Can call it Brio's (slightly) bigger brother! Only thing is its too common on roads :)

Dear all,

Thanks,
Vinodh R
Hi,

Please amend the thread title. TDi is diesel, not petrol.

Top Bottom