Confused: Entry Level Petrol Sedans (Dzire / Etios / Sunny)?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Experts,

I've been scratching my head for last one month for an entry level Sedan.
Budget: 6-7 lacs
Petrol Variant

Options that i'm considering are:
1. Swift Dzire 2012 VXI: 6 lacs
2. Toyota Etios G-SP: 6.5 lacs (with deals/offers)
3. Nissan Sunny XL.: 7 lacs (with deals/offers)

In terms of drive, i loved Swift Dzire. But it feels just like Swidt and doesn't feel like a Sedan. Dissapointing leg room space in rear seats and boot space.
In terms of space, i loved Etios. But it has very basic interiors and not that great exteriors. However, from the review i've read, it's a Toyota engine and can be trusted.
Nissan sunny has the balance of everything. Space is more that required. Good interiors, nice exteriors (at least i like the way it looks ). Driving was okay apart from not-smooth gear shifts and humming engine at high speed. BIG concern with Nissan is whether Nissan can be trusted for after sales. Also, i've heard that the body in this car is too light.

Kindly suggest and let me know if i'm missing something imp or any other good option.

Re: Confused -- Entry Level Petrol Sedan options - Dzire 2012/Etios/Sunny

Kindly suggest and let me know if i'm missing something imp or any other good option.
Hi pankajchris,

Welcome to TAI.

Swift Dezire:
Agree with your views. It is a good car but feels very much like Swift hatchback only.

Toyota Etios:
A reliable Toyota engine, good space, reasonable comfort.
Other than dull and below par interiors there are several cost cutting issues which make it pathetic.

Nissan Sunny:
Your views are right here too.
However as you mentioned, its body is very light and make it not so suitable for highway driving. Consider that a Sunny is weighing only 998 kg while a Manza petrol is weighing 1125 kg even with a lighter engine. Similarly Volkswagen Vento weighs 1120 kg.
Further, the rear seat of Sunny, even though has that (famous) extra leg space and knee space, they are not comfortable for a long journey due to lack of thigh support - Width or seating space of Sunny rear seat is small and are not supporting the thighs fully for adults and seating is placed low which adds to this lack of support.

You should also consider the following cars:-

Honda City:
Corporate eddition should be within your budget.

Ford Classic:
Its a fantastic driver's car. Rear seating is cramped like Swift Dezire.

Volswagen Vento:
Base model of Vento can be considered as an entry level sedan. However, it lacks features and no Air bag and ABS brakes.

Tata Manza:
See one for yourself in a showroom and do a test drive. You will be surprised by the power and acceleration of the Safire jet engine. Interiors are decent.

There are other two which are in entry level segment:

Mahindra Verito and Tata Indigo eCS - They are very basic though.

Re: Confused -- Entry Level Petrol Sedan options - Dzire 2012/Etios/Sunny

The City CE makes sense but you can wait for the honda Amaze. If you cant then I would recommend the Sunny.

If your budget is strictly within 6-7 lakhs for a petrol sedan, then better take a back to back TD of all the shortlisted cars and go with your heart. Else Honda City/VW Vento are great buys if you are ready to stretch a little bit.

I was in a similar position as you, and have recently made the choice of getting the Sunny, albeit the diesel rather than the petrol even though the original plan was to get petrol only, but realised that the extra lakh for diesel will be recovered at the time of resale, plus the better mileage figures of diesel vs petrol engine also was a valid point. Petrol sedans will always have a lower resale price that their diesel versions (if availab le) so that's something for you to think about. Dzire is a good car but firstly, its a hatchback with a jugaad dicky tacked on hurriedly to make it a sedan. Secondly, the new Dzire's boot space is much smaller than the previous version, so that killed it for me for both looks as well as practicality...its like buying a sedan which offers only somewhat more storage than a hatchback but not sedan-size storage, if that makes sense. Honda City is any day a great choice, but we already have one so didn't go for it. Manza was out of contention because of the Tata badge and Verito and Indigo were far too downmarket image-wise. Etios was the closest competitor to my choice of Sunny, but finally lost out due to cheap interiors, overall unsexy appearance, and low-cost image. As I always like to say - etios is to toyota what nano is to tata...nice cars which give people what they need at a very reasonable price, but people being people don't want what they really need, but rather crave what they desire (no pun intended) whether or not they "need" it. Hope that made sense. All of the above are my own personal supremely biased one sided (my sided) views and therefore should not be read by anybody who owns any of the abovementioned vehicles, lest they get unintentionally offended.

I would suggest if waiting period is not an issue for you, why dontt you wait for the HONDA AMAZE?

It checks all your boxes well and it is an entry level sedan as wel

If you cannot wait till March / april 2013 though, then why not look at the Honda City Corporate edition? Base variant!!

Its a honda and its still the king of petrol sedans and also it has all the safety equipment in the base version

also many of friends and colleagues have Honda citys, they are consistently getting average iof 14-16 kmpl and 17-18 on highways

and the IVTEC engine is a gem [clap]

Thread Starter #7
Thanks all for the comments.

I dived a bit more and found that mileage is another IMP criteria that is should consider . (in city)
--> Dzire : 14-15 kmpl
--> Etios : 12-13 kmpl
--> Sunny: 10-11 kmpl

Also, as per my test drive exp, i feel Sunny is in a different league all together.
Found Etios to be the worst (esp coz of loads of cabin noise).

Can someone confirm the mileage figures that i've mentioned above?
Also, any one with Sunny who can share his exp in after sales service?

Pankaj, Please share more details about your usage.

1. What is your monthly running?
2. mostly in city? or Highway?
3. chauffeur driven?
4. How many passengers will be traveling for most of the time.

Please think about the above questions also before finalizing.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks Releesh. Those were good points.
I put my data on these points and got my answer :)

1. What is your monthly running? ==> 1000 km
2. mostly in city? or Highway? ==> 80% City
3. chauffeur driven? ==> No
4. How many passengers will be traveling for most of the time. ==> max 3.

So my main criteria is good to drive and mileage.
Makes me feel inclined towards Dzire 2012. :)

Can someone clarify what mileage i can expect in Dzire Petrol in city and in highway?

Pankaj, my suggestions below

Thanks Releesh. Those were good points.
I put my data on these points and got my answer :)

1. What is your monthly running? ==> 1000 km >> select diesel
2. mostly in city? or Highway? ==> 80% City>> why sedan? Hatch is best for city
3. chauffeur driven? ==> No>> fuel efficient diesel Hatch
4. How many passengers will be traveling for most of the time. ==> max 3.>> again I'll suggest diesel Hatch. Why you need to carry a not using trunk to everywhere

So my main criteria is good to drive and mileage.
Makes me feel inclined towards Dzire 2012. :)> new dzire/indigo CS is a good choice with that small/enough dicky space if you more inclined towards sedans.

Can someone clarify what mileage i can expect in Dzire Petrol in city and in highway?

@pankaj ,As per your criteria 3 people traveling most of the time in city most of the time for approx 1000 km.
If running is less than 800 km/month , petrol is clear cut choice.If running more than 1400 km diesel is clear cut choice.
Your running falls in grey zone , choice AFA fuel cost is concerned is LPG. But petrol is better than lpg for city driving. So you need a car with best in class FE so as to justify petrol fuel for this running.So dezire petrol wins here. Then comes fiesta classic ,advantage - driving pleasure ,equal rear comfort. disadvantage- little less FE , less resale value , poor ASS as compared to dzire.

Manza, sunny are not for your criteria
.Honda City suffers and etios suffers from poor GC so decision depends on condition of bumps and potholes in your city Same is true with etios and its interior are poor for the money you are spending.
AFA Amaze is concerned you need to research on GC first.

AFA hatch is concerned you need to tell us about your past /present cars and your experience about them in brief.

Last edited:

Top Bottom