Which Diesel Sedan for 10 Lacs?

Thread Starter #1
Hey folks,
I want to buy a diesel sedan. Most important requirements for me are safety, space,resale value and Fun to drive and in that order within my budget of 10 L approx. We are a family of 3 with an infant and his car seat.

I did a few test drives of the following sedans (diesel)
1) Skoda Rapid
2) Dzire
3) Manza
4) Fiesta Classic
5) Fiat Linea.
6) Nissan Sunny
7) Etios VD
8) Ertiga ZDi

After multiple test drives, my heart said linea -- and next came the rapid. But both of these were over 11.5+. Also scared with Linea and Skoda After sales and reliability and hence dropped these. I almost made the decision to go ahead with the Sunny XL D as this is the most VFM and doesnt compromise on Safety. But i'm suddenly seeing that Skoda have dropped their prices by approx 90K (cash plus corp discount) and this takes it close to the Sunny territory. This is put me in terrible confusion. Should i wait for Jan to see if Nissan also come up with some offers? Do you know of any possible discounts on Nissan in Jan? Also Is Skoda planning to drop their prices for the 2013 Rapids? before the City refresh was launched, Honda employed the same technique and launched the refresh at a lower price.

Re: What Diesel sedan for 10Lacs?

Welcome to TAI, 90K discount for the rapid sounds really good i would have instantly recommended you to put your money on Rapid but i am a little hesitant on the Skoda ASS part specially in Bangalore. you cant predict the discounts from Nissan but surely no price reduction in sights for Sunny.if you are looking for a spacious car you can also try the new Manza club class. if driving pleasure is what you are looking then look no further than the Rapid.

Thread Starter #4
Re: What Diesel sedan for 10Lacs?

Thanks Visran. I tried the club class. They have tuned the quadrajet better than the earlier versions. The turbo lag is not as annoying as it was in the earlier versions. Somehow, manza didnt ring the bell. I had to bang the boot lid 4 to 5 times for it to close. The door handles seem very fragile and i feel that they will fall apart soon. Sunny is much peppier than manza to drive, probably even better than rapid at at rpms < 2200. Sunny is the best for city drive for cruising at 100 kmph. I guess i should wait until Jan. Nissan had something going for Deepavali

Re: What Diesel Sedan for 10 Lacs?

Hi

The RAPID is a very well built car, typical European character

Its also mouthwatering that they have close to a LAC Rs of discounts and offers

Sunny is OK only if you are chauffer driven because i did not see any USP of Sunny's driving seat apart from space space and more space [:)]

Also it depends on finally how much you can wait for a new car!!

If you are willing to wait till JAN anyway, why not wait for the HONDA AMAZE?

Ticks all the check boxes you have mentioned in your opening post and HONDA wow i just love them [:D]

@ matter wave , good to know that your budget is ten lakhs and your first requirement is safty.
But which Rapid /sunny comes with ABS and Airbag in your city with this budget?

Skoda ASS is such that you need to have one more car at home to serve you in case of prolonged absence of Skoda for mediocre reasons.

You said one infant, means age less than one year, that means it will require its mother to take care most of the time till next two year s atleast espesially on long drives .
It is proven that best safe seat for children is rear seat .So look for rear comfy seat for the infant-mother duo. Manza with air bags, abs, top notch rear comfort is strong contender for your garage.
BTW, what is your monthly running and approx. highway/city running breakup?

Sunny is the best for city drive for cruising at 100 kmph. I guess i should wait until Jan. [/QUOTE]

Which road ,in which city you are talking about?

Hi
why not wait for the HONDA AMAZE?

Ticks all the check boxes you have mentioned in your opening post and HONDA wow i just love them [:D]
@ankx, it is news for me to know that honda is coming with its first diesel car in India .

@ matter wave , good to know that your budget is ten lakhs and your first requirement is safty.
But which Rapid /sunny comes with ABS and Airbag in your city with this budget?

Skoda ASS is such that you need to have one more car at home to serve you in case of prolonged absence of Skoda for mediocre reasons.

You said one infant, means age less than one year, that means it will require its mother to take care most of the time till next two year s atleast espesially on long drives .
It is proven that best safe seat for children is rear seat .So look for rear comfy seat for the infant-mother duo. Manza with air bags, abs, top notch rear comfort is strong contender for your garage.
BTW, what is your monthly running and approx. highway/city running breakup?

Sunny is the best for city drive for cruising at 100 kmph. I guess i should wait until Jan.
Which road ,in which city you are talking about?

@ankx, it is news for me to know that honda is coming with its first diesel car in India .[/QUOTE]

Yup Tornado

Amaze is the extended Brio, which means Brio with a Boot and will get the 1st Diesel engine for Honda India [clap]

@ ankyx, The new diesel sedan from honda, if starting price is 8 l otr and and with proper GC can add add a new dimention to diesel car bussiness in India.

With the given budget and looking at your requirements including Safety i would say look Manza sounds good.

It has almost everything that you want and will be in budget as well.

With the given budget and looking at your requirements including Safety i would say look Manza sounds good.

It has almost everything that you want and will be in budget as well.
If still doesn't ring the bell manza, then comes SX4 which has one more advantage of better resale value than TATA car which is you one the of many requirements.Ertiga however is not required for small family and that too in crowded banglore.

Only factor on which manza and sx4 lags behind is `fun to drive' if you compare it with Rapid, vento fiesta classic.But believe me and TD the manza once again, the fun factor will be felt definitely.

If still doesn't ring the bell manza, then comes SX4 which has one more advantage of better resale value than TATA car which is you one the of many requirements.Ertiga however is not required for small family and that too in crowded banglore.

Only factor on which manza and sx4 lags behind is `fun to drive' if you compare it with Rapid, vento fiesta classic.But believe me and TD the manza once again, the fun factor will be felt definitely.
Yes SX4 is also a very good option. But the only thing i personally don't like about SX4 is the dated design and especially the interiors. Otherwise a very nice sedan and a good VFM upto an extent.

I agree, singh 890, when it comes to 1 million bucks, dated design and interiors really matters.

Btw , can you give a brief comparison of manza interiors vs sx4 interiors, if possible.

For your Budget@ 10L,Ertiga ZDI with steel wheels seems to be better option for you.As it has Maruti Badge,Space and Comfort,FE and Practicality,Ertiga makes you much sense than Sedans.And,Low Maintenance is also a plus point for Ertiga due to Maruti.

Thread Starter #15

Thanks all for your opinions. The reason why I chose sunny was that it doesn't compromise with safety features even in the lowest version available in diesel. Also I feel that being a jap, I feel it would be reliable. The ra pid elegance with two airbags costed 1.5L more than sunny xld. So for my style of driving, I thought it made the most sense, though the rapid has a tougher build quality. Manza ex unfort
unately costs 40 'K more than the sunny and its interiors don't ring a bell with me nor its build quality. Sunny seems better built than the manza. The below the otr prices for the cars considered.
1. Manza clubclass ex-- 10.4L 5K corp discount
2. Etios GD SP 9.05L. 10 K corp discount
3.Rapid elegance 11.7 L-- with discounts now 10.7
4. Fiesta classic titanium tdci 9.7 L no discounts for now
5.Dzire zdi 9.11 zilch discount
6. Ertiga zdi 10.9 L zilch discount
7. Sunny xld 10.03 L; the XV costs 11 L , now more than the rapid elegance.
If the vw/skoda after sales were not the horrors they are, this was a no brainer. Hence the confusion. Guess its prudent to wait till jan. My monthly usage could be 1.5 K as I do a few mysore bangalore trips every month

Top Bottom