Liva Diesel - Should I Buy or Not?

Thread Starter #1
I'm planning to buy a diesel hatchback and after some research on the Internet, had shortlisted Ford Figo Duratorq Diesel EXI and Toyota Etios Liva GD. I had booked test drive on Ford’s and Toyota’s web site. I got automated emails from both. Ford has not contacted me yet. Toyota forwarded my request to the nearest dealer (as indicated by me) and a sales guy contacted me. But before I could take the test drive, my company has sent me abroad for few months.

I'm continuing my research from here so that I can buy the car as soon as I'm back in India. That's when I stumbled upon this post in TAI (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/9964-what-went-wrong-ford-figo.html). That sealed the fate of Figo. So I'm left with Liva GD (diesel).

But my decision is not final without TAI community's inputs; hence this post [confused].

My requirements are:
- New Car
- Priorities: Low maintenance, after sales service quality and speed, fuel efficiency, good ride on bad roads, space, easy to drive in city.
- Monthly Running: At least 600 km in city and 300 km on highway
- Type of Fuel: Diesel
- Purpose: Regular use with occasional highway trip
- Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 adults
- Type of Segment: Hatchback

Please give your valuable inputs.

In my opinion since your running is quite low u should go in for petrol. Also because 600km in city per month is approximately 20 km per day and 300km a month on highway is 10km per day and the petrol car should give a mileage of approx. 13-14 kmpl and a diesel car should giv a mileage of approx. 17-18 kmpl which may not be much of a saving if we compare the difference of fuel price to the price difference of the car.
In context to the liva Gd I would say it is a good car as I have test driven it but space may be an issue.

Note: This is in my opinion and feedback are welcome for the same.

I guess the above Figo issue is just a one-off case Figo is a very competent car. the only drawback in Liva according to me is it's interior quality and their is absolutely no price difference between Figo and Liva.
If i were u i would blindly put my money on Figo.

I guess you shuold go for Figo, because, its interiors are way superior to the Liva. When it comes to ASS, there is a little edge towards Toyota. The thread that mentioned is just a single case. There are many happy Figo owners.

You can search for alternatives in this price range:
Maruti Ritz
Chevy Sail (Saw a grey one today in Cochin, was looking good)
Nissan Micra/renault pulse (Would give you good FE)

In every brand there will be lemons. Please do not get carried away by one off experience which might be due to pure bad luck. Like visran has suggested, any day I will close my eyes and select Figo. Recently got to experience Liva on a highway. Sorry to say this - it was pathetic. I really did not like the behaviour of Liva at highway speeds (Probably am pampered by Punto's highspeed dynamics. But I felt my trusted old Alto 800 was better) And ya, interiors are a big big let down.

These are purely personal opinions. But before you decide on a buy, do proper test drive of all the available options and make a informed decision rather than an arbitrage process. There are much better cars in the market

Okay, I would not go into the diesel/petrol debate since you have stated that all you want is a diesel (even though I am very clear that with your kind of running a petrol car would be more pocket friendly over a typical 4 year period).

Going by your preferences, the choice is clear

The Liva GD.

Why?

Low maintainence - check. The Figo shall be pricier to maintain than tha Liva, though by a small margin.

Space - check. Its more spacious than the Figo

After Sales Sercive quality - Check. Ford After Sales suck big time, though a few Ford dealers are good.

Fuel efficiency - check. Both cars are equally fuel efficient.

Speed - uncheck. Both cars are not speed machines but have good low end torque for the city.

Good ride on bad roads - check. Figo's low speed ride is harsher.

Easy to drive in city - check. Both cars are easy to drive in city. I prefer the Figo because of the better visibility.

If you still want to go by your priorities and not consider other factors, then please stop thinking and go and buy the Liva. Otherwise I still maintain that there are better, more value for money choices available for your kind of use.

Horses for courses!

Its a completely personal choice is what i would say. When i was researching for my car a month back, i had the following choices - Figo, Liva, I20, Polo and Ritz.

At the end, i have purchased Toyota Etios liva. With the new beige interiors, the interiors do look much much better and roomier.

In terms of comfort, space and drivability, ASS and Maintenance, Etios liva easily beats Figo big time. But if you are looking for a VFM car, you might consider Ford figo as it gives more features at a lesser price. But if you consider the ASS and Maintenance for future years, Toyota will be the horse to consider in the long run.

Apart from that, things like Exterior looks, design, interiors etc etc are very subjective observations. You and only you can decide on what excites you. For me, for some reason, i just fell in love with the Liva. So while researching for close to a month, i was always trying to find positives in it and negatives in its competitors to make sure that am buying the car of my choice with both heart and mind in place [:)]

Figo diseal (don't even consider petrol figo, it sucks big time) is a great VFM car. My friend has it. But INHO, its not suitable for tall people (read people above 6.2 inches). I didn't feel comfortable sitting in it while doing the TDs. Again, my personal choice. At the end of the day, there are happy and not so happy customers of both Figo and Liva.

I was also in a same dilemma and now ended up with buying a VW Polo NEW Comfortline with almost all highline features except ABS, Airbags Alloys and parking sensors. I am getting my car by tomorrow.. oh no today 5 pm. The on road price is 7.45 L and i got 15000 cash discount and 22000 free insurance. So the effective price including metallic colour 10K , floor mats 1850 and reverse sensor 3850 is about 7.25 L on road.

This NEW Comfortline Polo consists of same keyless entry on highline, fog lamps, rear wash wiper, defogger, integrated music system, anti pinch door windows, electric mirrors and almost all features available on highline.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
In my opinion since your running is quite low u should go in for petrol. .
This monthly running is based on usage of my Santro (which I sold). Looking at my personal requirements, I feel this usage will increase. That's the reason for going for diesel.

the only drawback in Liva according to me is it's interior quality
Even I have heard about this. How bad is it? Will it wear-off too soon? Are the seat fabrics also bad? Will it tear under normal use?

When it comes to ASS, there is a little edge towards Toyota.
You can search for alternatives in this price range:
Maruti Ritz
Chevy Sail (Saw a grey one today in Cochin, was looking good)
Nissan Micra/renault pulse (Would give you good FE)
ASS is my biggest concern. I had used a Maruti 800 for 5 years and I was not happy with Popular Service (Elamakkara). After this I used a Santro Xing for 8 years. I wasn't happy with MGF Hyundai's (Padivattom) service either.
Chevy: service centre is a bit far from my house. Are the spare parts costly when compared to Liva?
Nissan: Heard the spare parts are costlier.
Renault: How is the ASS and maintenance cost? My cousin bought a Pulse last month. But he was concerned only about features.

In every brand there will be lemons.
Recently got to experience Liva on a highway. Sorry to say this - it was pathetic.
do proper test drive of all the available options and make a informed decision rather than an arbitrage process.
Is there a way to ensure one is not given a Lemon? Is it useful if one goes to the yard and note down the VIN before registration? Any other suggestions?

Highway behavior is not a problem for me. Speed limit in Kerala highways is 70 km/hr and I always drive slower.

As suggested, I'll surely test drive all other diesel cars in the price range before deciding.

Speed - uncheck. Both cars are not speed machines but have good low end torque for the city.
Thanks for giving a point by point response.
Speed: I meant "quick" service. What's your opinion on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #11
Raj Kumar-Go for Petrol.As your running is just 900 per month,Petrol makes you sense.
Go for Jazz Petrol or Swift Petrol.They are fun to drive.
Since my monthly running is bound to increase I'll stick to diesel.
You seem to drive an Innova. How is Toyota service in your opinion?

Thanks for giving a point by point response.
Speed: I meant "quick" service. What's your opinion on that?
My bad. Apologies.

Toyota service is faster, better, and cheaper than Ford service. Period. There may be one or two exceptions but they merely prove the rule.

Hi Raj, to choose between Liva and Figo is really a tough one. But let me try to summarize. The variant you are targeting for Figo (Exi) is priced well below Liva GD (atleast in Kolkata). Hence based on that Figo does look to be an excellent VFM package. The only thing that goes against it big time is the GC issue. However that can be handled as according to Ford manual, if you have keep 36/41 PSI in the front/back tyres (under laden weight). Again its a matter on inconvenience to track tyre pressure each time there are 5 people in your car. So in summary, this is how it looks:
1) Engine - both (Duratorq and D4D) are good and makes similar amount of clatter. You dont hear it in the Figo as insulation is much better. Both are reliable, however Toyota gives 1,00,000 km warranty hence perceptually D4D should be a tad ahead (I know Ford owners would disagree and hence I used the term 'perceptually'). The D4D does duty on the Corolla and Innova and hence seems to be a work horse, however you will find Fiesta's with more than 1 lac kms and still going strong. So its a neck and neck here but a slight advantage to Liva. The Indian Duratorq is based on a older technology than the current global Ford duratorq and hence might not be future (Bharat 5) compliant.
2) Fit and finish, body etc.: Ford is definitely better here, with Liva clearly looking and feeling as build to a price. Ford will definitely age better.
3) From my experience of ASS; I would say both would be similar (at least in Kolkata).
4) Running costs: Initial 3 years, my guess is that both would be very similar. The only difference would come after 3 years when I expect Toyota Liva to be slightly better in terms of maintenance costs.
5) FE: Liva would give slightly better FE figures than Figo. Not difficult to get 16km/lt in the city where with Figo would be 14km/lt. Again driving habits would be a major deciding factor here.
6) Handling: Figo all the way. No question. If you like to drive, Figo is the car for you. Great steering response and good highway manners. However city and driving over potholed roads, Liva is a little ahead with better tuned suspension. Also no issue with GC in the Liva.
7) Price of Figo Exi is lower than Liva GD. Also Ford would provide you lots of discounts if you bargain, however Toyota will not budge an inch. With proper bargaining, you will get Figo Zxi in the same price as Liva GD (based on Kolkata prices).
8) Liva GD comes with ABS/EBD - a big plus according to me.
9) Space - similar

Its difficult to forecast which one would be better 4/5 years down the line, however to be Liva seems to be a better choice if you consider maintainence cost to be the chief criteria. Also the Toyota Smile package is worth considering here. However if you like to drive and need a well build car with decent equipment levels, Figo is for you.

Thread Starter #14
But if you consider the ASS and Maintenance for future years, Toyota will be the horse to consider in the long run.
Did you have a chance to look at the frequently used spare parts cost? I also heard Toyota gives zero depreciation insurance which can be renewed for 5 years; is it true?
i was always trying to find positives in it and negatives in its competitors
Wow! Same here [;)]
Figo diseal (don't even consider petrol figo, it sucks big time) is a great VFM car.
I'm concerned about the ASS quality of Ford and cost of spare parts. Are the spare parts of Liva cheaper in comparison to Figo?

Top Bottom