Buying a Used Tata Safari 1998 Model?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Experts,
I owned a Tata Sierra and just recently I sold it for 1,00,000/-. Now I started hunting for my new ride and came across a Safari which is of OCT 1998 model. I called its owner and he said that its a Turbo engine and car is in good condition etc.

So I'm planning to visit his place tomorrow to see its car. But just tell me whether in now a days buying old Safari that too 1998 model is worth? And also he quoted amount 1,50,000/-. He is ready to negotiate it. So from your point of view what will be the supposed price of it?

Also what to check in Safari while testing it?

Awaiting for your replies.....

Thanks and Regards
Aniket P.Katkar

Re: Buying an Old Safari

@aniket

I would suggest not to go for that. See it is 14 year old, so age matters for everything. You did not mention that how many kilometers it has run. The quoted price may be tempting at the moment, but believe me you will really find hell a lot of problems once the vehicle is in your hands and you will really[frustration].

I agree with Akash suggestions !!

i think you better look for newer model, say for 2005-2006 model so that it can serve you at least for another few years.

See, I have owned a TCIC Safari for 2.3L Kms and a Dicor motor, The TCIC is a reliable motor but the earlier versions (pre-2002) were prone to gearbox and electrical issues. So, get this only if you are sure that the car is in mint condition. You have owned Sierra, maintaining a Safari will be less painful and you can do that. Do post the mileage the Safari has clocked, some snaps if possible. Look for rust spots as a decade old vehicle will have rusting issues. Do check the 4x4 system as if it is not working, to make it work, you wil have to invest alot. For me if the vehicle is in excellent condition then it deserves 1.2L max.

Thread Starter #7

Today I checked this Safari. Overall condition looks good. Exterior body is average as there are some rusting on it. Interiors are also ok. Power windows are working. AC is in good conditions. Its a Turbo engine but not with 4x4 system. Music System is fine.

I ride it too. It reaches till 120 KM Speed. Also at the same time temp.gauge is at below level. I checked this becuase recently I sold Sierra and in that car heating problem is there.[;)]

Suspensions are good but faced some problems while shifting a gear..Might be clutch and pressure plate issues..

Owner is expecting 1.5 for this but I', planning to propose 1.2.
Can you guys please provide suggestions on it.

Will post the pics in the evening today.

Thanks and Regards
Aniket P.Katkar

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #8

Also Please let me know the spare parts availability for this model. i.e. 1998 Model Tata Safari
Whether they're easily available or need to struggle for getting those?

Thanks and Regards
Aniket P.Katkar

@Aniket,

Check this with any TATA service people. According to my information, you will really have pain sourcing the spares of this model, this is according to one of the TATA service guy[:)]

Mastersquall, Mercedised are proud owners of the Beast & I am sure they can give a good idea on its condition etc.

Also Please let me know the spare parts availability for this model. i.e. 1998 Model Tata Safari
Whether they're easily available or need to struggle for getting those?

Thanks and Regards
Aniket P.Katkar
The spares availability is not a problem since Tata Sumo TCIC too shares the same parts. Infact, the spares are ditto cheap (normal consumables like oil, oil filter, diesel filter). If you wish to change clutch plates it will cost you 6-7K and 14-15K for suspension. BTW what is the odo reading of the Safari?

Well buddy Safari is no doubt a great car but 1998 14 years old, i would stay away from it. Look at least something around 2002.

Before buying the Car do check with your TASS whether they have the parts available for that particular model or not.

Thread Starter #13

The spares availability is not a problem since Tata Sumo TCIC too shares the same parts. Infact, the spares are ditto cheap (normal consumables like oil, oil filter, diesel filter). If you wish to change clutch plates it will cost you 6-7K and 14-15K for suspension. BTW what is the odo reading of the Safari?

Odo reading is already crossed beyond 1,00,000. Its 1,12,233.

I hope that I am not too late on this thread.
Today I checked this Safari. Overall condition looks good. Exterior body is average as there are some rusting on it

but faced some problems while shifting a gear..Might be clutch and pressure plate issues..
r
Please carry out a 'magnet test' using weak magnet as adviced by Elite Taian 350 z to know hidden rust problem.

Odo reading is 1,12,233.
This much running in 14 -15 years,that means less than 8 k km/year.The car should have been in mint condition now.

Hyderabad is a BS4 city , is it possible to register the pre BS2 car there.?
And using BS4 (ULSD) disel for such car can severely compromise the remaining life of engine.

Soon the car will complete15 years of it life, if not completed earlier.I do not think they will allow the car reregister in your city , please check with RTO prior hand.

Please let us know regn. validity date mentioned on the present RC.

Last edited:

Top Bottom