FIAT Grande Punto v/s Hyundai i20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
The title sounds attractive, isn't it [:)] ? I searched our over forum and was not able to find a thread on this. So just started a new one.

Let me describe it. What I, as a car buyer, will expect to see in a new car is the following list:

1. Good Power
  2. Fuel efficiency
  3. Central loacking (5 doors)
  4. Immobiliser
  5. ABS with EBD
  6. Dual Airbags (at the least)
  7. Seat belt Pretensioners
  8. Alloy Wheel
  9. Quality of interior
  10. A/C with Heaters
  11. Quality music system
  12. Low maintenance cost !

Considering these aspects, I was looking at both the manufactures and listed two possible options:

• FIAT Grande Punto 1.4 FIRE Emotion Pack
  • Hyndai i20 1.4 Gamma ASTA

But I am so confused over these two that, I can not come up with a verdict. Now you know where I am taking this, right?. Yes, I am planning for a new car in Jan 2010 (mates from Bangalore, I need your help [;)]). I am really attracted towards Punto and its Blue&Me. However, some of my friends gave me a very good feedback on i20. But I am not sure about the Gamma engine. Overall life of the car is another area of concern for me. Personally I feel that Punto is beautiful than i20.

I know I have ample time left to come up with a decision. But I would like to get as much inputs as possible before I make my final pick! So could you please help me out by sharing your views, please.

Last edited:
Good Power

Both the car is powerful. But i20 has an edge over punto in terms of refinement.

Fuel efficiency

Well, 1.4 FIRE & Gamma is thirsty engines. More or less both will be same.

Central loacking (5 doors)
Immobiliser
ABS with EBD
Seat belt Pretensioners
Alloy Wheel
A/C with Heaters

Both the car comes with all the above.

Dual Airbags (at the least)
i20 has 6 Airbags!!

Quality of interior
Quality music system

i20 leads here. Very tough build quality!

Low maintenance cost !

Well NO explainations for Hyundai. Its next cheaper to Maruti.

Well with all you expectations i20 wins hands down!

shynish, punto owners may tell punto is the best and i20 owners tell i20 is the best. i not being the owner of both but TD'ed both the cars would suggest you to go for i20. this dosen't mean that punto is bad. its a great machine i must say!. and it would be convinient for fellow members to suggest if you would tell us your budget and the usage of the car.

i would anyday go for the i20, its a better car & is also more pricey. it has got the looks (the punto is not bad at all), has the features, safety & space.

Interesting topic, isn't it?

First, i think, Hyundai Gamma engine is only available for AT. Punto doesn't have any AT. 1.4 FIRE is manual here.

For your points -

Good Power - Both have adequate power.
Fuel efficiency - Since Hyundai is AT, i beleive FE will be less. For 1.4 Fire, i know, from users, it has decent mileage.
Central loacking (5 doors) - Both
Immobiliser - Both
ABS with EBD - Both
Dual Airbags (at the least) - Both (i20 has 6 airbangs)
Seat belt Pretensioners - Both
Alloy Wheel - Punto has it, i am not sure about i20.
Quality of interior - i20 has edge for sure.
A/C with Heaters - Both. Punto has Automatic Climate Control.
Quality music system - No idea. Punto has decent system with blue & me.
Low maintenance cost !- Maintanance cost of Hyundai car are costly, punto's spare parts are comparable to Swift. But A.S.S reputation is big question mark on TATA-FIAT. Spare parts delay is reported by some of the owners. Personally i has very good experience till now.

IMP - i20 gamma is almost 2.25 lakhs more than Punto E-Pack on-road.

i20 i have not much experience, i just drove 1.2L petrol engine. It was smooth but power is less.
I have diesel engine, so i don't want to comment on FIRE. Zinam is the best person, and he already replied.

Baseline is - Punto has much more features than i20, but i20 is selling much more. Because after Jazz and Fabia, it looks cheaper. But it is still very costly compared to Punto.

@Zinam, i just would like to contradict you about build quality, Punto is far superior to i20. It feels much more solid.

Punto just excellent on path holes and in high speed behaviour is much more than any hatchback. The steering is just perfect.

In my view (i might be partial, as i own Punto), punto is great VFM, loads of features, excellent build quality and top class highway manners. Interior quality and A.S.S is questionable and i20 has big edge.
Look wise, you have to decide.
i20 sells 3+ times more than Punto, but most of the sales are 1.2L petrol.

When you come to bangalore, drive both car and take a final decision.

Nice thread, and a big dilemma that I also had when I bought the Punto. Just that I was always looking for a Diesel and not Petrol. In that sense, Punto made VFM to me. I20 is costly man!!

Now, I have just TDed the I20 and have not done extensive driving on the I20.
But, with all the pot-holes, bad roads, humps etc etc, Punto seemed far more stable and better than I20, and this is purely my feel that I had when I TDed both of them.

Other stuff, well, been explained by experts here [:)].

Just to say: I am loving driving my Punto [;)].

Good luck, Shynish with the decision making.

Cheers,
Vroom

this is the most common dilema for any new buyers in this segment, two of the best available hatchbacks in indian market as of now.Few things you need to decide on your usage and requirement.ASS and plastic quality is a bit issue with Punto, but still is a superb car and superb handler of our roads.Very planted.Superb steering weight and suspention suitable for indian roads.some of the best features like Blue and Me offered on any hatchback till now.Fire engine drinks fuel man.Some owners have complained for spares availability and shabby service centres for Fiat.So is the case with hyundai as well.But again i20 makes superb city driving, very easy steering and light to maneuver within city roads.All features that you mentioned.also auto transmission option available.Spares and maintainence is bit costly.ASS spread across nation like maruti and second best rated after them.Better in this department compared to Fiat.Both the cars have their pros and cons.Both of them are superb products offered here.Take few test drives on different roads,conditions,speeds,people,and decide which suits your taste,needs and wallet.

350Z

Core Team
Hello Shynish, Glad to know about your new car buy.
Fact is both the cars, FIAT Punto and Hyundai i20 are solid Competitors and a Great buy at the prices what you pay for, You won't regret buying any of them. Though the Punto is a much more Value For Money option and on the other hand, Hyundai i20 comes at a price but of-course you get much up-market as well.
Also, The requirements which You've mentioned, Hyundai would tick most of the boxes. If you can afford the i20, I suggest you to opt for it but before please do make sure to take a Test Drive of both cars. :smile:

Hyundai i20

Fiat Punto -

Drive Safe,
350Z

If you take features, both cars are more are less the same and almost meets other requirements. But mileage, Punto with its M/T will be having its advantage. Punto has got the ride and handling to brag about, whereas i20 isn't perfect here. First decide whether you need auto or manual transmission. If we have to go by the spares price list displayed at Tata showrooms, Punto will be cheaper than i20. And the price of i20 is overpriced IMHO. Given its price, i20 won't be topping charts for a long time. If you have got enough money to through over, you have i20 . For a sensible buy Punto.

Thread Starter #12
Thanks for the reply guys.

@Zinam: 6 Airbag comes in the ASTA(O) model only. Considering the Indian condition, is it worth to go for 6 air bags? I am perplexed here.

@Sriharsha: Yes, you are right mate. I am looking forward to TD both of these. I have not seen the interiors of the Indian versions of these cars so far. I am really looking froward to it.

@Raj: yes, i20 is pricey. Especially, the full option.

@RSM & CC: Yeh, the Gamma engine comes with AT. I personally like MT. However, AT has andvantage that my wife will find it easier to drive. I have always seen majority of the girls struggling with gear ratio. My wife is not any different from that group ! In fact this was the only initial reason I considered i20. But later I got attracted. But this is not a must to have.

@RSM: I am typical Indian (and a Mallu), so money is a factor for sure! But I would do a best trade-off analysis before deciding on something.

@vroom: You know the pain I have!

@ Vijay: wallet!! its highly important [:)]

@ 350Z: Thanks mate.

Based on the inputs, I am getting a feel that both the cars are equqlly good. However, i20 has better interiors and its comes with a price. Punto is VFM. To be honest I don't want to spend too much unless it makes complete sense to do so [;)]

The most important thing why I opted 1.4 in both the models is because of the power. I will be driving from Bangalore to Calicut, at least once in 2 months. And I hate lags especially while overtaking. But the other hand, fuel efficiency does matter. Any one got experience with 1.4 FIRE and 1.4 Gamma engines? Zinam, did you get a chance to test drive these versions? Any input on the negine side will be much appreciated. A test drive on these versions will be excellent to have!

@RSM: Money is a matter for sure! But I think its worth doing a trade-off analysis before making the call.

Last edited:
Shynish,

Did I hear Bangalore to Calicut, once in 2 months? Thats some distance man, and deserves a Diesel. Not putting any thoughts onto you, but just wondering why you are not opting for a Diesel [confused].

Also, since you mentioned your wife also using the car, TD the Punto for its large turning radius as well. Ofcourse, you will get used to it if driven for sometime, but just a point to keep in mind.

BTW, RSM mentioned the Jazz as well. Thought its a 1.2 litre engine, I feel its interiors are way too good.

Cheers,
Vroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom