When To Make Final Payment To Dealer?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys, I booked 1.2 Polo Highline on 2nd Nov from Downtown Volkswagen Prabhadevi. I got verbal assurance that delivery would be in a month. Today I got a call from dealership asking me to make a full payment. I asked them if the car has been invoiced/allotted to me. But he said that he has no idea when that would happen but insisted that I complete the full payment in next two days.

Is this procedure correct? I am making full down payment without loan. When is the correct time to pay?

Re: When to make a final Payment to dealer?

This procedure is not correct.
You can hold up your payment unless you inspect your car for PDI and depending upon your satisfaction you can then pay or even cancel your booking.

Remember once you pay the entire amount you would be dependent wholly on the mercy of your dealer.

Thread Starter #3

Thanks for the prompt reply. Wonder the dealer is trying to take me for a ride for being a first time buyer.

The dude I spoke to has barely completed 1 month in the dealership. Probably even he is clueless.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Wonder the dealer is trying to take me for a ride for being a first time buyer.

The dude I spoke to has barely completed 1 month in the dealership. Probably even he is clueless.
You must have paid the booking amount right? (50k)
If so, then its dealer's job to provide you the VIN number of vehicle allotted to your name and then ask for any payment or payment related papers. Tell him clearly that you are not making any payment until you are not allotted any vehicle.
After allotment you can negotiate the amount you can pay and do a PDI, thereafter make the full payment only on the day of delivery.

Thread Starter #5
^^ Yes that's what I had read all along here. But today's call from the dealer baffled me.

^^ Yes that's what I had read all along here. But today's call from the dealer baffled me.
Must be some new recruit in dealership, as you said.
Don't be surprised if you find new faces each time you visit there.
For me, my case would went through three different guys from booking to delivery.

350Z

Core Team
Is this procedure correct? I am making full down payment without loan. When is the correct time to pay?
Nope. Let them allot a car first. Personally inspect it for unexpected faults / damages (PDI: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pre-delivery-inspection-exhaustive-guide.html). Subsequently make the payment if everything is found alright. By the way, You could also avail some discounts if it is an outright purchase. Congrats on in advance. Keep updating us. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Unless and until you see the car in flesh and blood (or rather metal and rubber in this case) do not make any payments. In fact I'd suggest that you make the payment by DD rather than by account transfer just to ensure the balance of power is on your side. My SA kept insisting that I transfer the money via RTGS, but I said that the final payment will be via a DD on the day of delivery. When I finally saw the car being prepped, confirmed the chassis number/VIN which was allotted to me, and was satisfied with the PDI, did I hand over the draft. As I said the advantage of paying with a DD in my opinion is two-fold-
1. It is as good as cash
2.The balance of power is with you. The dealer can not get the money unless and until you are satisfied with the vehicle and hand over the DD to him (do keep a xerox copy of the DD, in case you do choose to pay with a DD)

Thread Starter #9
^^ Since they have not contacted me today as promised, I believe they have got the message. [:)]

Thread Starter #10
Update: The dealer called me again today and insisted to hand over the cheque of balance payment immediately. He said the cheque will only be deposited after PDI. I refused and he said they will call me up again.

Top Bottom