Confused Buying Ford Figo Titanium Diesel or Hyundai i20 Sportz Petrol

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Am very much confused between buying a petrol or diesel car.

Presently am considering 2 cars

1) Hyundai I20 Sportz Petrol(Features are awesome)
2) New Ford Figo Titanium Diesel

As of now my Usage would be like at an average 500 to 700 KM/Months.

Could anyone give some suggestions which helps me in taking valuable decision.

Thanks in Advance.

Well, Vamsee, I am not an expert myself but can share my thoughts as I've been spending lot of time buying a hatch for myself.

The two cars you have narrowed down are apple and orange. I think 350Z has listed some good criteria to consider.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/1298-looking-buy-car-must-read.html.

Going by your average run for the month, Petrol seems obvious choice but you may want to consider several other things. The initial ownership cost and the Operating cost (apart from fuel, regular service cost, spares) is generally higher for a diesel car (especially as it ages). In case of petrol, I can think of only the fuel cost and the resale value could be on the flip side. The fuel cost could be offset by the service cost; resale value is something I would not bother to consider before even buying!

Please research more on TAI. I have seen some very informative threads. Let us know what you chose please.

Cheers

Carefully calculate the monthly running and decide.

ask yourself is your driving is with in city or mostly long drives ?

Diesel initial investment is costly but the maintenance of figo diesel is not that costly
i am using it and bought on Jan 2011 and till date ODO reads 18500 (avg 800+ kms per month)

Even in the start i calculated the running would be around 500 or 700 per month but it exceeds

and every month am crossing 800 kms
my riding is like 10 to 35 kms every weekends and every two months once 1200 to 1300 kms long ride.

Spent almost close to 4500 on servicing including engine oil and other consumables

Hello Everyone,

Am very much confused between buying a petrol or diesel car.

Presently am considering 2 cars

1) Hyundai I20 Sportz Petrol(Features are awesome)
2) New Ford Figo Titanium Diesel

As of now my Usage would be like at an average 500 to 700 KM/Months.

Thanks in Advance.
Oh God! As manuman pointed, you got an Apple and Orange to compare between them.
Though I am not an expert, if I were given with these choice, I would have gone for Figo titanium which comes with ABS and Airbags that offers more confidence for a long highway trip with your family right next to you. I think safety shall be treated prior than the features that can be added later with aftermarket products.
Try for a TD in an hour gap with both the vehicles and you will find it much easier for deciding one among them.
Please share your thoughts when you finalize one because it will help people like me for taking a decision if such situation occurs

Thread Starter #7
Thanks for providing valuable suggestions.

I would be booking I20 or Figo in next 1 week but still i can say am confused[roll].

I heard from few people that in longrun(above 10k KM) figo makes some noise. can anyone heard about it???

Hi G.V

What is the car you are currently using? You might be able to get a consolidated km figure from the last service date of your current vehicle (i.e considering you have one already).

If you don't have one, but do see your usage to be about 700kms/month, then go for diesel as your usage would only increase in the coming years.

I also used to think that my usage would be met by a petrol as mostly my car would take me to office and back and off course weekend shopping, movies etc. Its only when I calculated using my service kms (kms travelled between two 6month services), I realized that my actual usage was more than 7k kms in 6 months. So like money, you generally spend more than you plan.

Thanks for providing valuable suggestions.

I would be booking I20 or Figo in next 1 week but still i can say am confused[roll].

I heard from few people that in longrun(above 10k KM) figo makes some noise. can anyone heard about it???
Hi, I got that problem.. I am unable to find a solution to it. Please tag me if you find any solution to it.
Thanks..

Hi, I got that problem.. I am unable to find a solution to it. Please tag me if you find any solution to it.
Thanks..
This was exactly my problem.

I use a 2004 maruti 800. My usage at max is around 10000 Kms per year, 90% of it being highway night runs. City use is just 10% of it. I considered Figo after reading forums and my wife preferred i20 . Thus figo diesel and i20 came into consideration.

I test drove the i20 first. The petrol i20 was disappointing in terms of pickup. The diesel is OK. The price of Asta crdi variant is huge and my usage doesn’t justify a diesel. The projector lights, 6 speed gearbox, r16 wheels and 60:40 split rear seats, airbags made asta the selected variant. However I could easily live without AVN and Start/Stop button .

The figo diesel is terrific in terms of price and pickup, but not as premium compared to i20. IMHO , both are more or less equal in terms of maintenance costs.

Ultimately we selected the asta i20 crdi for better drivability and comfort/features and look forward to 10 to 13 years with the car.

(Hyundai dealer argument was that the figo and i20 belong to different segments altogether. They opine that it is better to compare the grand i10 to the figo.)

This was exactly my problem.
Ultimately we selected the asta i20 crdi for better drivability and comfort/features and look forward to 10 to 13 years with the car.
For more clarity, in my post above, I add a correction as below

Ultimately we selected the asta i20 crdi for better drivability (compared to petrol i20) and comfort/features and look forward to 10 to 13 years with the car.

kkn13

Suspended
For more clarity, in my post above, I add a correction as below

Ultimately we selected the asta i20 crdi for better drivability (compared to petrol i20) and comfort/features and look forward to 10 to 13 years with the car.
Congrats !! i20 is a proven car and youll get complete piece of mind with it, the diesel is a gem of an engine . The petrol is very lethargic and wouldnt have been the right choice
Happy motoring :)

Top Bottom