Planning to buy a hatch; narrowed down to i20 Asta. Your thoughts, may be, either you will strengthen my choice or help me chose a better one! Bear with me for the long narration.
I have a Scorpio CRDe SLX – 2007 model, which I use it for my daily commute and every other outing. I run, an on average, 800KM per month (including weekend trips, and occasional long trips).
For past few months (for 2+ years actually, once I paid up loan on my Scorpio), I am contemplating buying a second car. Reasons –
1. The Scorpio is posing constant challenge, as it is ageing (>87,000KM on the odo) – several niggling problem which frustrates me to the cor
2. The Mahindra service center is not the same. The best of the SAs and technicians have moved on to multinationals who opened shop here (I knew some folks closely). Bottom line, the guys can’t diagnose well and obviously, hence, can’t fix it
3. I feel guilty driving around a SUV, even when am alone (90% of the time, it’s me alone)
4. Can afford some $$ for a new car
Put some broad guidelines before my research –
1. Go for company lease – save tax (with minimal damage to pocket), and have fun driving a new car for next years (operating lease period).
2. No capital needed with lease
3. Since am going for lease – I plan to keep the car for 3 years only
4. Budget ~10 lakhs (calculated to save tax, with minimal damage to the pocket)
5. Retain Scorpio for long trips, and for occasions when extended family want to join the outing
6. Preferably a hatch back to complement Scorpio; something better than i10/equivalent
7. Monthly running could be as little as 500KM on this car – pure city drive, A/C ON 80% of duration.
8. Petrol, since I already have a diesel car (?)
9. Preferred mileage ~15KM
Started the search through online automobile forums (including TAI
), discuss with colleagues and friends. The focus was not limited to car but also on lease/loan. Only in the last couple of months did I start taking test drive. So far I have test driven the following –
1. VW Polo – both petrol and diesel. Great looks – both interior and exterior, fantastic pickup, great colors, German engineering. Let downs – the after sales service horror stories I read about, and the cabin is noisier than my Scorpio!
2. Maruti Suzuki Swift – only the diesel. I loved the exterior of the new Swift. Has great record on WRC/equivalent race tracks. Took my brother in law’s car, and my friends car, over long distance. Did not feel anything great about this car.
3. Punto – only the diesel. Great exterior looks; interior average. Rear seat leg space cramped (I like my seat pushed back). I wasn’t comfortable with the clutch at all. And the after sales service stories wasn’t encouraging.
4. Honda Jazz – did not take a test drive, simply because I did not like the exterior or interior (after a close look at the showroom). Off my list you go!
5. Hyundai i20 – both petrol and diesel. I liked almost everything – the looks, the features, the overall TD experience. Contrary to what I heard, I was satisfied with the pickup, noise level, shocks/suspension.
6. Test drove some sedans – Honda City, Verna – but dropped the idea, considering my need. Stick to hatchback.
So I think, i20 it would be –
1. Killer features – I simply love it!
2. The ‘fluidic’ looks are awesome from every angle
3. Satisfied with Cost Vs Feature aspect
4. Cost is little over my budget, but I can stretch
5. Friend who owns a Magna (Petrol), claims he gets around 15 in the city
6. I owned a Hyundai car earlier, and I was treated like a king at the service center
7. The service center is across the street from my house, and another 3 on my way to office!
8. My young son’s only criteria for the car would be ‘sunroof’, which Hyundai provides thru i20 Asta O
Today, I asked the leasing company to provide me an invoice with EMI option. Waiting for the same. In the meantime, eager to seek your opinion. Bring it on!